HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.   Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:52 am

Rob_In_MO wrote:
That's what you call 'Gentle Persuasion'. Twisted Evil

Reading this thread with the Batman and Robin picture fresh in my head changes this phrase and it is a bit frightening.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.   Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:56 am

This is the kind of thread that either encourages certain membership here at BoB, or hinders it entirely. Laughing It's all-around a frightening good time. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.   Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:42 am

Alright, back on topic. Cool

Dollar for Dollar, they're the best value around. They'll last for many years if taken care of, can handle any blend and do it well, are great for humid days or damp tobaccos, are easily modifiable, and if you loose it/drop it/break it/whatever - you're not out much.

If you want to really help it out, buy a Forever Stem and customize it the way you want.

Come on, it's only a Cob. No need to threaten anyone's life or anything. Twisted Evil

Last edited by Rob_In_MO on Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.   Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:20 am

don't know if you guys have tried the micro missouri meerchaums. Stems are only about two inches long and when first started smoking I got a couple of those and the stem melted in the shank on them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.   Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:44 pm

Those "mini-cobs" are kind of a joke, both figuratively and probably literally. They have them at the Tinder Box here. Apparently most of them burn out in the first smoke. Laughing I haven't heard of them having stem meltdown, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.   Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:12 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
I just saw the kid getting into his car,...smoking the cob! cheers

That pic looks amazingly like Gary Schrier from my local SPC (Seattle Pipe Club).

Shocked

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
ThEpIpEsMoKiNgDrUmMeR

Registration date : 2012-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.   Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:04 am

Awesome thread george Very Happy

And Tilt- May i use the ccss banner? i am a recent cob lover myself, The story goes, about a year ago i order a hardwood mini MM "cob" and hated it, it was boiling hot in a couple of puffs and tasted like fire so i threw it, which unfortunately put me off cobs, (even though i knew it wasn't actually made from cob, it just gave me the wrong impression, Bad first "cob" choice) that is until i started reading more about cobs on here and i went out and bought a Ledgend, and right from the first smoke i loved it, and it just keeps getting better, im also going to order myself a couple of the freehands and maybe a country gentleman and a general direct from MM in the next week or so, because they look awesome and i really want a few more.

So yeah, basically i dont know how to attach the banner, i know how to do the signiture bit, but do i need to copy a code or something?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tiltjlp

Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.   Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:37 am

ThEpIpEsMoKiNgDrUmMeR wrote:
Awesome thread george Very Happy

And Tilt- May i use the ccss banner? i am a recent cob lover myself, The story goes, about a year ago i order a hardwood mini MM "cob" and hated it, it was boiling hot in a couple of puffs and tasted like fire so i threw it, which unfortunately put me off cobs, (even though i knew it wasn't actually made from cob, it just gave me the wrong impression, Bad first "cob" choice) that is until i started reading more about cobs on here and i went out and bought a Ledgend, and right from the first smoke i loved it, and it just keeps getting better, im also going to order myself a couple of the freehands and maybe a country gentleman and a general direct from MM in the next week or so, because they look awesome and i really want a few more.

So yeah, basically i dont know how to attach the banner, i know how to do the signiture bit, but do i need to copy a code or something?

Thanks

Yes, you and anyone else can use the CCSS Banner. What you need to do is copy it to your computer, upload it to Photobucket, and then copy the Image Code, and paste it into your signature.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://corncobsandbriar.phpbb3now.com/
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.   Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:41 am

Brewdude wrote:
That pic looks amazingly like Gary Schrier from my local SPC (Seattle Pipe Club).[/quote]

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ThEpIpEsMoKiNgDrUmMeR

PostSubject: Re: Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.   Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:00 am

Thanks Tilt Smile I got it Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.   Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:20 am

George Kaplan wrote:
Great, now the thread's out of control, too. Razz Jump in here any time, Jefe.

I cant believe i missed this thread until just now.... wow. This is like getting to watch a full season of your favorite show on dvd rather than having to wade through weekly episodes and commercials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.   Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:14 am

jefe1037 wrote:

I cant believe i missed this thread until just now.... wow. This is like getting to watch a full season of your favorite show on dvd rather than having to wade through weekly episodes and commercials.

Last edited by Kyle Weiss on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fail dog pictures fail.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.   Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:57 am

I read somewhere that there's a cob shortage at the moment. The thick cobs needed to make pipes are in short supply. My b-in-law, the Maine fahmuh, said today's sweet corn is engineered to mature in long, skinny ears, feed corn is needed by livestock, not pipe smokers, and everything else goes to ethanol. Fortunately, some of us have an ample supply of cobs. I have a couple of MMs that are only 5" long, 1 1/2' tall. Very nice for a short break.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tiltjlp

PostSubject: Re: Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.   Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:12 pm

KevinM wrote:
I read somewhere that there's a cob shortage at the moment. The thick cobs needed to make pipes are in short supply. My b-in-law, the Maine fahmuh, said today's sweet corn is engineered to mature in long, skinny ears, feed corn is needed by livestock, not pipe smokers, and everything else goes to ethanol. Fortunately, some of us have an ample supply of cobs. I have a couple of MMs that are only 5" long, 1 1/2' tall. Very nice for a short break.

MM grows their own corn, and have found the proper seeds to produce the large corn they need for larger cobs. A good crop this year should go a long way in solving any problems.
Back to top Go down
KevinM

PostSubject: Re: Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.   Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:11 pm

Thanks, you jogged my memory enough to remember where I first saw this tidbit of Internet info -- it was the MM site when I was about to order a couple new Diplomats --

Due to a temporary shortage of cobs with large diameters, the bowl of the Apple shape is smaller than normal, but still has the familiar, comfortable feel in your hand.

So it might just be that MM has used up their 2012 cob supply and is looking forward to a new crop come Fall.

I guess that's good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tiltjlp

PostSubject: Re: Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.   Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:13 pm

KevinM wrote:
Thanks, you jogged my memory enough to remember where I first saw this tidbit of Internet info -- it was the MM site when I was about to order a couple new Diplomats --

Due to a temporary shortage of cobs with large diameters, the bowl of the Apple shape is smaller than normal, but still has the familiar, comfortable feel in your hand.

So it might just be that MM has used up their 2012 cob supply and is looking forward to a new crop come Fall.

I guess that's good.
There won't be any 2012 cob supply until harvest time. There's just one crop a year.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.   Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:16 pm

Thanks for keeping the MM rumor mill under control, JP... Laughing Cool ...I truly hope a good year for corn is upon is as we speak! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.   Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:06 pm

Rob_In_MO wrote:
I'm still waiting for pics of the College Girl next door... Cool

Me too! I loved the little yoga practitioner..... Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

PostSubject: Re: Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.   Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:32 am

There won't be any 2012 cob supply until harvest time. There's just one crop a year.

You facts are correct, but further analysis will show that the 2011 harvest was used to manufacture cobs sold in 2012 and the 2012 harvest will be used to make 2013 cobs and the 2013 harvest will be used to . . . etc. Unless, of course the clever fellows at MM have found a way to grow corn cob pipes right on the stalks. Just grow 'em, pick 'em and sell 'em. Next, if they can find a way to turn corn into a perenial that will really be a game changer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tiltjlp

PostSubject: Re: Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.   Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:50 pm

KevinM wrote:

You facts are correct, but further analysis will show that the 2011 harvest was used to manufacture cobs sold in 2012 and the 2012 harvest will be used to make 2013 cobs and the 2013 harvest will be used to . . . etc. Unless, of course the clever fellows at MM have found a way to grow corn cob pipes right on the stalks. Just grow 'em, pick 'em and sell 'em. Next, if they can find a way to turn corn into a perenial that will really be a game changer.

Actually, they do start using the new harvest at the end of the year, since they have developed a quick drying method. But yes, most of the cobs sold in any one year are made from previous crops.
Back to top Go down
jefe1037

Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.   Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:42 pm

MM harvests in October, and they are expecting a bumper crop this year, with enough large ears to make the Bulldog shape we have been so anticipating (but not in time for christmas). Straight from the horse's mouth b/c of my BoB Cob efforts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

PostSubject: Re: Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.   Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:34 pm

October! Well, so much for a couple of Diplomats in my C'mas stocking:-(
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.   Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:28 am

Hey, a possible lineup of Spring 2013 BoB Cobs will be a great way to ring in the new season.

Love,

Glass Half-Full Weiss. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

PostSubject: Re: Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.   Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:50 am

And in the meantime I'll just have to be content getting acquainted with my two new Savs. Oh, woe. Oh, woe. Besides, one of my last new cob recruits would more accurately be described as a plaster of Paris pipe. Maybe they'll be better with a fresh batch of raw material. I'm curious to see the new Bulldog model.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ThEpIpEsMoKiNgDrUmMeR

PostSubject: Re: Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.   Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:59 am

Very Happy Just ordered a straight 5th ave diplomat, a straight country gentleman, AND a natural red freehand from MM! cant wait to get them, especially the freehand Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Sharing the cob love, by any means necessary.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next