HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What is that smell?!?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fishfuzz

Registration date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: What is that smell?!?   Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:36 pm

I snagged a decent Peterson from eBay recently (yes,yes, I know), and unlike the other estate pipes I have found on the e, this one has a very strong flowery or what I call old-lady scent which is not only in the bowl, but also lingers on my hands even after handling the pipe for a few minutes. I ran some salt and heavy alcohol in the bowl itself, which has worked pretty well, but what to do about the exterior? Anything I can try locally or should I send it off to th oxy-box?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheSmokeamater

Registration date : 2012-05-26

PostSubject: Re: What is that smell?!?   Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:18 pm

http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t17658-scented-candle-polluted-pipe

Here is the link to my similar problem. I don't know what's ailing your pipe, but as with mine, the ozone cabinet seems the way to go.

Cheers,
Rich
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: What is that smell?!?   Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:49 pm

"That smell" is Eau de Lakeland. (Aka the devil's aftershave).

Send it to Dr. Dave for a proper exorcism.

Quick ! Before it contaminates your other pipes ! affraid

What a Face

Last edited by Yak on Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: What is that smell?!?   Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:31 pm

*rubs beads and chants* The Stench of the Witch, brother, you'll be in my prayers with tonight's smoke. Good luck to you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
williamcharles

PostSubject: Re: What is that smell?!?   Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:29 am

Now you why some of us dedicate pipes to certain blends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: What is that smell?!?   Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:57 am

Fishfuzz wrote:
I snagged a decent Peterson from eBay recently (yes,yes, I know), and unlike the other estate pipes I have found on the e, this one has a very strong flowery or what I call old-lady scent which is not only in the bowl, but also lingers on my hands even after handling the pipe for a few minutes. I ran some salt and heavy alcohol in the bowl itself, which has worked pretty well, but what to do about the exterior? Anything I can try locally or should I send it off to th oxy-box?

Thanks
Welcome to the world of "Lakelands"! Just buy 'bac from those Brits that insist on using that stuff in their blends and you won't notice it Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: What is that smell?!?   Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:05 pm

Although it the smell is on his hands after handling the pipe, it might be more than just a Lakeland ghost. If the salt/alc worked well enough inside, but the outside still smells (as he says), my guess it that it was stored next to something perfumed/scented for an extended period of time...I think you're best bet is to listen to Smokeamater's advice and get in touch with Walker's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheSmokeamater

PostSubject: Re: What is that smell?!?   Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:20 pm

idbowman wrote:
Although it the smell is on his hands after handling the pipe, it might be more than just a Lakeland ghost. If the salt/alc worked well enough inside, but the outside still smells (as he says), my guess it that it was stored next to something perfumed/scented for an extended period of time...I think you're best bet is to listen to Smokeamater's advice and get in touch with Walker's.

THANK YOU!

I saw the subsequent posts since I was here last and just logged in.

FishFuzz and his pipe are in Oregon. We are wherever we are. There is no way any of us can say with 100% certainty that Lakeland essence has permeated this pipe.

Sure! The odds may be very high that it IS Lakeland. But we can't just go around proclaiming things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: What is that smell?!?   Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:03 pm

Sure we can, we go around and proclaim nonsense all the time! It's the Internets! cheers

...but really, it could have been stored in a drawer next to a potpourri sachet, sprayed with eu d'toilette le stink by a pissy girlfriend, or stored in the depths of the finest Nevada brothels. *shrug*

Though it is more likely someone smoked Lakeland in it.

Can Walker deal with pipes that had previous owners that decided it was a good idea to smoke Mary Jane through them? I've bought two estate pipes now I've had to throw out/give away because of this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheSmokeamater

PostSubject: Re: What is that smell?!?   Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:09 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:

Can Walker deal with pipes that had previous owners that decided it was a good idea to smoke Mary Jane through them? I've bought two estate pipes now I've had to throw out/give away because of this.

Here you go Kyle....
http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/ozone.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: What is that smell?!?   Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:16 pm

TheSmokeamater wrote:

Here you go Kyle....
http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/ozone.html

Yep, been there quite a few times. Wink

I haven't heard of anyone putting pot-infected pipes though the process, before, however. If you haven't had the (dis)pleasure of discovering a pipe with the wrong stuff loaded in it, may you never. Laughing I now check pipes (if I can) before I buy them and run a lighter through the empty bowl. That "wakes up" the grossness and allows me a chance to back out--before I get my hopes up, buy it, clean the pipe to near-perfect and find out later. eBay is a different story. I have heard if you claim the pipe was used illegally at any point, that gets a little sticky.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: What is that smell?!?   Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:39 pm

Quote :
The odds may be very high that it IS Lakeland. But we can't just go around proclaiming things.
Quote :
Sure we can
Took the words right out of my mouth, Kyle ! Laughing

What a Face
Back to top Go down
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: What is that smell?!?   Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:27 pm

TheSmokeamater wrote:

FishFuzz and his pipe are in Oregon. We are wherever we are. There is no way any of us can say with 100% certainty that Lakeland essence has permeated this pipe.

The Oregonians can arrange a meet up and confirm the flower scent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Fishfuzz

PostSubject: Re: What is that smell?!?   Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:37 pm

[quote="gravel"]
TheSmokeamater wrote:

The Oregonians can arrange a meet up and confirm the flower scent.[/]

Wink Goverment town south of PDX here, you?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

PostSubject: Re: What is that smell?!?   Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:26 pm

Fishfuzz wrote:
gravel wrote:
TheSmokeamater wrote:

The Oregonians can arrange a meet up and confirm the flower scent.

Wink Goverment town south of PDX here, you?

I too live in the same town as Oregon's prized trophy:
Back to top Go down
Fishfuzz

PostSubject: Re: What is that smell?!?   Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:58 pm

Egads, we could throw rocks at each other. You might even be able to smell the pipe from where you are. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

PostSubject: Re: What is that smell?!?   Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:18 am

Fishfuzz wrote:
Egads, we could throw rocks at each other. You might even be able to smell the pipe from where you are. Wink

Suspect So, that is what I smelled tonight!
Back to top Go down
williamcharles

PostSubject: Re: What is that smell?!?   Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:45 am

I've smoked 1792, Cob Plug (I know it's the same tabac as 1792), Bracken Flake, Dark Flake Scented, Ennerdale Flake and Condor. The last two are the only ones that have ever ghosted my pipes and even they straightened up after 7-10 bowls of a burley.

I smoked one bowl of Condor in one pipe followed by 7 bowls of Carter Hall and they all tasted like Condor. In my opinion that was great since Condor is hard to come by. The eighth bowl tasted like Carter Hall. I've since dedicated that pipe to Condor because every time I smoke Condor in that bowl it just gets better.

My point is that even a potent "lakeland" can be smoked out. Give it a try. Smoke a few bowls of something else (don't be quick to give up...it may take more than it took in my case) and if that perfumed scent remains it may, as others have suggested, be something on the outside of the bowl. In which case, if you want to risk it...and it is a risk since it's hard to tell how the finish would react...a good wash of the bowl exterior with Murphys Oil Soap may take care of it. Then again...it may not... in which case, as others have suggested, Dr. Dave's ozone treatment may be the only answer.

Whatever you do...g'luck to you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: What is that smell?!?   Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:16 pm

williamcharles wrote:
My point is that even a potent "lakeland" can be smoked out.

True, but each has his own tolerance.

If you happen to like lakeland stink, that means it's less objectionable as you're "de-ghosting," and your threshold as to when the ghost is actually gone might be much sooner than someone like myself.

I have two pipes that after (not kidding) 40 full rations of another tobacco I can still detect lakeland stink when I smoke to the bottom of the bowl. That's a lot of unsatisfactory smokes! Neutral

Back to top Go down
View user profile

What is that smell?!?
Page 1 of 1