HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Neal Stephenson smokes a pipe - what is it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fishfuzz

Registration date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Neal Stephenson smokes a pipe - what is it?   Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:44 pm

Any guesses?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260688528/clang

Neat Kickstarter project as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Neal Stephenson smokes a pipe - what is it?   Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:06 pm

No idea, but I'm suddenly feeling the itch to read "Snow Crash" again...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr. Doody

Registration date : 2012-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Neal Stephenson smokes a pipe - what is it?   Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:31 pm

I'm curious too (BIG NS fan here!). I asked them via Kickstarter. Will keep you posted if they respond!

Doody
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Neal Stephenson smokes a pipe - what is it?   Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:32 pm

I'm kinda thinking he was just holding it for the bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gumball

Registration date : 2011-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Neal Stephenson smokes a pipe - what is it?   Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:46 am

I am a big fan of Zodiac, Snowcrash and The Diamond Age. I stopped reading his books after Cryptonomicon, that was more a test of endurance than a book Smile

I do hope that pipe is more than just a prop for the photo shoot. You can't move online for Steampunks and Chaps with unsmoked pipes hanging from their collective mouths.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr. Doody

PostSubject: Re: Neal Stephenson smokes a pipe - what is it?   Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:35 am

So Neal responded. Apparently he does not smoke a pipe - it was just a prop. But he says he'll smoke for us :-) . Maybe we can send him a "starter kit" and get him to do a quick video for his Kickstarter that references BoB :-) .

Quote :
Neal: Your fans want to know what kind of pipe you smoke! :-)

Quote :
I don't, but I would for you guys.

Doody.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Neal Stephenson smokes a pipe - what is it?   Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:08 am

Gumball wrote:
I am a big fan of Zodiac, Snowcrash and The Diamond Age. I stopped reading his books after Cryptonomicon, that was more a test of endurance than a book Smile
My feelings exactly! (My father felt the opposite--but he loves Dreiser and Pynchon. His reading style is less an assassin, more a general managing a siege.)

Hard to guess what P&T he'd like... his aesthetic is English with heavy Oriental influence, maybe a blend for him should feature the same. (Snow Crash and Diamond Age would actually be teriffic names for tobaccos...)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Fishfuzz

Registration date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Neal Stephenson smokes a pipe - what is it?   Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:48 am

Mr. Doody wrote:
So Neal responded. Apparently he does not smoke a pipe - it was just a prop. But he says he'll smoke for us :-) . Maybe we can send him a "starter kit" and get him to do a quick video for his Kickstarter that references BoB :-) .

Quote :
Neal: Your fans want to know what kind of pipe you smoke! :-)

Quote :
I don't, but I would for you guys.

Doody.

A starter kit for Neal would be awesome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr. Doody

PostSubject: Re: Neal Stephenson smokes a pipe - what is it?   Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:41 am

so what kind of pipe would fit the bill for what he is holding at the start of the video?

it looks like a pretty simple jobbie - a tad on the short side maybe? 1/4 bent? definitely all-dark. is it a billiard or more of an egg or bulldog-ish?

regardless of his cultural leanings, i wouldn't want to shove anything too strong down his stem if he hasn't smoked before. happy to donate an ounce of a couple mild 'baccys to the cause.

maybe he'll do a vidskype with a group of us and we can teach him how to fill/tamp/light!

doody.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kieveryuu

PostSubject: Re: Neal Stephenson smokes a pipe - what is it?   Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:19 pm

A pipe starter kit is an excellent idea.

As another big fan of NS, I would say Cryptonomicon may be a bit of a slog, but is absolutely worth it. Likewise the Baroque series which is likewise complex, deep, long and worth it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://type29a.com
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Neal Stephenson smokes a pipe - what is it?   Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:55 am

Doc Manhattan wrote:
Gumball wrote:
My feelings exactly! (My father felt the opposite--but he loves Dreiser and Pynchon. His reading style is less an assassin, more a general managing a siege.)

Ah, Pynchon! My nemesis! For about 10 years straight, my new year's resolution was to read Gravity's Rainbow. Every year I'd waste a good 2 month's of reading time wrestling with that book before giving up and retreating to something easier, like Ulysses. Razz A few rounds of that business, though, makes Cryptonomicon go down pretty easy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Neal Stephenson smokes a pipe - what is it?   Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:38 am

Ok, so we've got 6 fans here pondering what Neal should smoke in his pipe, and no one's mentioned the obvious. Wasn't there a time when each of us finished one of his novels and said to ourselves, "Man! WHAT was he smoking when he wrote that?" Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TonyS

Registration date : 2012-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Neal Stephenson smokes a pipe - what is it?   Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:36 pm

I loved Cryptonomicon. It was my first Stephenson book and then I read all his others. I wish he'd stop with all these silly side projects and write some damn books! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Neal Stephenson smokes a pipe - what is it?   Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:48 am

Screw a starter kit, I say we bomb dude.

(Point of clarity: I have no idea who he is, I just like sending inordinate amounts of pipes and tobacco to random people.)

bom
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Neal Stephenson smokes a pipe - what is it?   Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Dave_In_Philly wrote:
Screw a starter kit, I say we bomb dude.

(Point of clarity: I have no idea who he is, I just like sending inordinate amounts of pipes and tobacco to random people.)

bom

Quite fitting for a guy who bombs us with an inordinate amount of words. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Neal Stephenson smokes a pipe - what is it?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1