HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Aging Pipe Tobaccos

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
zjgilbert

Registration date : 2012-06-04

PostSubject: Aging Pipe Tobaccos   Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:17 pm

So I know with cigars you want to keep them in a Spanish cedar case at just the right humidity and temp (the magic 70's, or thereabouts), but what about pipe tobacco? I've been smoking pipes in total about 2 and a half years, and for the majority of that time I've been smoking mostly bulk aromatics. I've grown tired of aromatics and have ventured out into the wonderful world of Virginias, Latakia, and the like. I haven't been able to find much of the stuff in bulk (mostly just the same aromatics I'm trying to get away from), so I've been buying them tinned. I've given McClelland a few goes and have tried a couple Dunhills, but that's about as far as I've been able to venture financially. I guess the long and short of what I'm trying to ask, is when aging pipe tobaccos should I leave them in the tins they come in? Should I move them to mason jars? Do they age best if they're just not opened at all? Should they be kept in a certain climate like cigars? Thus far I've just been leaving them in baggies if they come in baggies and leaving them in tins if they come in tins, although recently I've moved the majority of my tobacco out of the bags and into mason jars.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccoreviews.com/reviewer_detail.cfm?UID=7802
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Aging Pipe Tobaccos   Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:33 pm

I've noted two main ways people age:

* In the tin (I prefer smaller tins, as I don't have to commit to a lot of tobacco once I've broken the seal).

* In a mason jar, simply packin' it pretty tight (leave some air space), tightening the lid, writing down a date, and acting accordingly (some people crack them open sooner or later, depending on what they like). A vacuum seal will develop on its own.

Both methods are best left alone. You can't "keep checking" or you'll upset the aerobic-to-anaerobic action that's slow-going and trying to take place. Some tins/jars are left for years and years unopened, and can yield spectacular results.

* Once open, just leave them in their respective tins/jars and enjoy. Some guys like moister stuff, some like it dryer. Some dry a bowlful just before a smoke. I live in Nevada, where it's uncommonly dry, so I usually put tins in a ziploc baggie to control the moisture from smoke to smoke.

I no cigar-specific humidor-type requirements are necessary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Aging Pipe Tobaccos   Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:15 pm

When I started cellaring tobacco, I started with tins. I'd recommend that until you know what sorts of tobacco you really, really, really, want to keep around and age, hold off on buying bulk tobacco. My best personal suggestion is that if you find a tin of tobacco that you like, buy an extra one when funds are available, and stick it away. Depending on how much tobacco you're trying and what your tobacco fund is like, you could have a good handful of tins in the cellar within 6 months to a year. Eventually you'll really get the feel for what sorts of blends you'll want to age - in sizable quantities - in mason jars.

Just my $.02.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Aging Pipe Tobaccos   Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:25 pm

idbowman wrote:
When I started cellaring tobacco, I started with tins. I'd recommend that until you know what sorts of tobacco you really, really, really, want to keep around and age, hold off on buying bulk tobacco. My best personal suggestion is that if you find a tin of tobacco that you like, buy an extra one when funds are available, and stick it away. Depending on how much tobacco you're trying and what your tobacco fund is like, you could have a good handful of tins in the cellar within 6 months to a year. Eventually you'll really get the feel for what sorts of blends you'll want to age - in sizable quantities - in mason jars.

Just my $.02.

This. Just go with the 2 for 1 method: for every tin you intend to smoke, buy another to stash away. Tins are fine but baggies will not do. Just use mason jars for anything that doesn't come in a tin.

I keep my stash in a few of those big plastic Rubbermaid containers and in the closet. No special conditions required. Just don't store in sunlight and if you live somewhere humid check from time to time that no rust has developed on the outside of any tins.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zjgilbert

Registration date : 2012-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Aging Pipe Tobaccos   Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:45 pm

Just to double check, the tobacco will age in the tin even if it's open, right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccoreviews.com/reviewer_detail.cfm?UID=7802
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Aging Pipe Tobaccos   Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:22 am

zjgilbert wrote:

Nope. You need a tight seal. Once you crack the tin, you either smoke it and store it in the tin, or you transfer it to an appropriate-sized jar for further aging, which will "reset" the process.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Aging Pipe Tobaccos   Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:29 am

I'll be devil's advocate here.

I do not subscribe to the "buying multiple tins" advice, and I'll tell you why:

If you don't like a tobacco, aging is not a guarantee you'll like it later. True, it won't be worth zero, and you can always trade/sell it to someone, but for my paltry paychecks, tying up $50 on five $10 tins, cracking one open, deciding I don't like it (taste changes notwithstanding), means I'll be waiting anywhere from six months to sixteen years for the right age (which could be at any point).

If $50 was your yearly tobacco budget (don't laugh, I know some poor mother'effers...like me)... it isn't a viable option.

Start researching tobaccos that might be good fresh, and that also might be good for aging. Aged tobacco is not, I repeat NOT the holy-end all of tobacco. Age can do magical things to certain blends, but not ALL of them. Another option is to find out if you can buy, from Brothers or even certain sites, tobaccos with known dates on them--that way, you pay for the bacca, and not necessarily the age. Plenty of Brothers here have sold me and given me tobacco with 5+ years of age on them...that way, I was able to try before I committed cash to something that I shouldn't touch for a while, and not possibly be disappointed in the future. I also suggest small, 50g tins because, as I noted, you don't have to stop the aging process on a half-pound of bacca just to try a pinch. If I want 8oz, I get four 2oz tins.

I think a lot of brothers here forget we're not all "doin' swell" all the time, and some of us have to approach this hobby with space/money constraints in mind. For those of us who are on Bacca Skid Row, we just gotta do it creatively.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

PostSubject: Re: Aging Pipe Tobaccos   Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:12 am

I definitely agree with Kyle's smaller tin size advice. You'll probably find yourself wanting to smoke a number of different blends on a regular basis, and it's easier to have five or six (or twelve or fifty) 50g tins lying around than the larger alternatives.

Another bit of advice for the budget-conscious - smoking (most) drug store blends do NOT make you a lesser pipester. There's nothing wrong with stretching your dollar by keeping some of the inexpensive stuff on hand. Hanging around the forums, it seems that almost everyone here has a jar of Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Captain Black or something like that on hand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Aging Pipe Tobaccos   Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:44 am

Oh, I have a bunch of Borkum Riff and Smoker's Pride some FINE GENTLEMEN thought would be a laughing riot to send to me. En masse. Neutral

Laughing

No, I don't smoke them.

There's no such thing as a "lesser smoker," especially if you're gaining satisfaction from your efforts. So, some guy might like cherry-flavored pencil shavings. Who are we to tell him he's not in bliss? Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Aging Pipe Tobaccos   Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:55 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Oh, I have a bunch of Borkum Riff and Smoker's Pride some FINE GENTLEMEN thought would be a laughing riot to send to me. En masse.

lol!

On a serious note, I have always been somewhat of a budget smoker. I always have a partial can of Carter Hall and a can (or at least a pouch) of Captain Black around. Actually, it's cheaper for me to order the Lane Bulks, so this is the route i've been going for the last few years. 1-Q=CBR and RLP-6=CBW.

Half & Half isn't bad on occasion as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

PostSubject: Re: Aging Pipe Tobaccos   Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:12 pm

As I think I'd mentioned somewhere else, I'm a big fan of 1Q. I smoke it by itself, blend it to temper other aros, mix it with the last bowl of nearly-empty tins, etc. It's inexpensive, readily available, and always consistent.

It can also be stuck away for a while in mason jars. Since it's not heavily cased, it holds its taste with age better than a lot of other aros. Never had RLP though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
glpease
Dark Lord

Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Aging Pipe Tobaccos   Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:37 pm

zjgilbert wrote:
So I know with cigars you want to keep them in a Spanish cedar case at just the right humidity and temp (the magic 70's, or thereabouts), but what about pipe tobacco? I've been smoking pipes in total about 2 and a half years, and for the majority of that time I've been smoking mostly bulk aromatics. I've grown tired of aromatics and have ventured out into the wonderful world of Virginias, Latakia, and the like. I haven't been able to find much of the stuff in bulk (mostly just the same aromatics I'm trying to get away from), so I've been buying them tinned. I've given McClelland a few goes and have tried a couple Dunhills, but that's about as far as I've been able to venture financially. I guess the long and short of what I'm trying to ask, is when aging pipe tobaccos should I leave them in the tins they come in? Should I move them to mason jars? Do they age best if they're just not opened at all? Should they be kept in a certain climate like cigars? Thus far I've just been leaving them in baggies if they come in baggies and leaving them in tins if they come in tins, although recently I've moved the majority of my tobacco out of the bags and into mason jars.

Tins, unopened, are excellent, of course, but jarring tobaccos is also a good approach. Keep your stash in a cool, dry (and dark, if you use jars) place.

You might find my article, Saving for a Rainy Day interesting and useful. There are also articles in my Briar & Leaf Chronicles related to aging.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.glpease.com
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Aging Pipe Tobaccos   Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:05 pm

zjgilbert wrote:

Kyle is right that tobacco will stop aging once the tin is opened and exposed to air, but some blends benefit from being allowed to breathe a little. I don't mean they just need to dry out, but it has been my experience that some blends (McClelland's Blackwoods Flake in particular), really don't come into their own until they have been open for a couple of weeks. When I get a new tin that I intend to smoke right away, I pull off the pop top right away, then put the plastic lid back on and stick it back on the shelf for at least a week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Aging Pipe Tobaccos   Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:13 pm

Dave_In_Philly wrote:
zjgilbert wrote:

Kyle is right that tobacco will stop aging once the tin is opened and exposed to air, but some blends benefit from being allowed to breathe a little. I don't mean they just need to dry out, but it has been my experience that some blends (McClelland's Blackwoods Flake in particular), really don't come into their own until they have been open for a couple of weeks. When I get a new tin that I intend to smoke right away, I pull off the pop top right away, then put the plastic lid back on and stick it back on the shelf for at least a week.

I would have to concur with how you do your BF. It does seem to do much better with some "air" from just sitting with the plastic lid on it after pulling off the tin top. I do the same with Mature Virginia #27 . Takes some of that sharp"newness" off 'em and let's the mellowness they have come up Razz I also like to dry 'em out a bit more after I rub-out a bowl's worth before I load it up to smoke so I rub-out a bowls worth on a small saucer I use for this and let 'em sit under a desk lamp for a few minutes(20-30) before I load up and light. The extra tinned stuff I let sit in the OEM tin, while smoking the opened one. I've now got about 3 tins of each ( and some VW as well) doing that now. Will be another month before I get to another. At this point, that's the extent of my "aging" of 'bac Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Aging Pipe Tobaccos   Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:29 pm

Dave_In_Philly wrote:
tobacco will stop aging once the tin is opened and exposed to air

If it's hermetically re-sealed after opening it will continue to age, just differently. Not necessarily badly, though. Once it is exposed to oxygen, it just takes a different path once sealed again.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
glpease
Dark Lord

Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Aging Pipe Tobaccos   Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:41 pm

Dave_In_Philly wrote:
zjgilbert wrote:

Tobacco doesn't stop aging when it's opened. The process changes. If it's sealed back up, it will continue to change, though in a different way than it would have had it never been exposed to fresh air.

The oxidation that takes place in an open tin can be a "Good Thing," as you've noticed, but it's not the case for all blends, just like "breathing" isn't necessary for all wines.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.glpease.com
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Aging Pipe Tobaccos   Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:46 pm

glpease wrote:

Tobacco doesn't stop aging when it's opened. The process changes. If it's sealed back up, it will continue to change, though in a different way than it would have had it never been exposed to fresh air.

The oxidation that takes place in an open tin can be a "Good Thing," as you've noticed, but it's not the case for all blends, just like "breathing" isn't necessary for all wines.

Oooooh no! Caught on a technicality!

Laughing

I should, myself, rephrase "aging" to "the tobacco doesn't necessarily get better due to anaerobic bacteria interruptus." Greg, I'm sheepishly aware the oxidation can do good things for 'bacca too... your Union Square, for example, has performed admirably after six months sealed, and about six mouths opened. This explains it...I think. Other tobaccos that have responded in a similar way... Wessex (insert favorite color) Virginia, and Mac Baren Navy Flake.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Aging Pipe Tobaccos   Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:18 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
glpease wrote:

Oooooh no! Caught on a technicality!

Is that the phrase people use nowadays for "being wrong"?
Just yanking your chain, Kyle...
lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Aging Pipe Tobaccos   Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:51 pm

Harlock999 wrote:

Is that the phrase people use nowadays for "being wrong"?

Just yanking your chain, Kyle...
lol!

Yeah, pretty much. I join the thousands of oppressed; those who were ticketed for going 1 MPH over the speed limit, those fired for being one minute late, ladies beaten for having a burqa that briefly flashed their ankles and the crying children who couldn't go to the museum because mommy and daddy were too drunk to sign the permission slip. Laughing

I submit myself. Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Aging Pipe Tobaccos
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1