HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Before and After

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Theophilus

Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Before and After   Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:03 am

So, I've had a Nording Signature Freehand Semi-Rusticated for about 3 or 4 years now and I thought I'd show how nicely the raw briar takes on a beautiful dark hue after a few smokes.

Here is a picture of a new one (courtesy of pipesandcigars.com):

and here is what mine looks like (courtesy of my iPhone):

I love it! I recently dropped it and broke the stem but My local tobacconist gave me a spare out of a 20 year old Nording in exchange for the broken one and a few bucks! (If any of you live in North Texas, you have to go and see Jim at Tobacco Cabana in Cedar Hill)

What do you think? I love the fact that in can grow in character so well in just a couple of years.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:15 am

Very nice coloring. When I first looked at the photos, I thought you'd stained it. That's very nice coloring. I'm sure it took quite a few smokes to accomplish this, but it looks great!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theophilus

PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:30 am

Nope! No stain. Just good old hand sweat and a little magic. I was pretty surprised when I realized just how dark it had become. You can't tell in the pictures, but the grain is coming through quite nicely with some beautiful bird's eyes around the rim. I try to rub it a little all over each time I smoke to encourage the process.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:27 am

Wow, that really is something. How often would you say you smoke it over it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theophilus

PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:21 am

Well, for the first couple of years I didn't smoke it but maybe a few times. Over time, though, I guess the little bit of oils from my hands started to darken it naturally. More recently, I've been smoking it a bit more often (3-4 times per week) as pipe smoking is becoming more of a passion of mine. It's really become a lot darker since then and the grain is really popping. It's my only pipe apart from my new cob (which I'm falling in love with).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:03 am

Great contrast. I haven't seen a "raw" Nording signature like that with before and after photos. I only remember a buddy buying one and showing it to me a few years later... Laughing That's actually what spurred my interest in pipes again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rusty Mouse

Registration date : 2012-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:42 pm

The very reason that I've been DYING to get a Nording Signature.

Awesome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheSmokeamater

Registration date : 2012-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:18 pm

Theophilus wrote:
Well, for the first couple of years I didn't smoke it but maybe a few times. Over time, though, I guess the little bit of oils from my hands started to darken it naturally. More recently, I've been smoking it a bit more often (3-4 times per week) as pipe smoking is becoming more of a passion of mine. It's really become a lot darker since then and the grain is really popping. It's my only pipe apart from my new cob (which I'm falling in love with).

Do you "face" it? Meaning do you deposit skin oils from your nose, forehead or other areas onto the pipe?

I know some people do this, myself included. I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

That pipe seems a particularly good candidate for the process.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leyte

Registration date : 2011-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:28 pm

TheSmokeamater wrote:

Do you "face" it? Meaning do you deposit skin oils from your nose, forehead or other areas onto the pipe?

I know some people do this, myself included. I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

I must now review my love for estate pipes... Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:31 pm

Leyte wrote:
TheSmokeamater wrote:

Yeah, the "other areas" is a little worrying... Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:39 pm

Harlock999 wrote:
Leyte wrote:
TheSmokeamater wrote:

Yeah, the "other areas" is a little worrying... Cool
Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
TheSmokeamater

Registration date : 2012-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:08 am

Come on guys...! By "other areas", I just meant other areas of the face.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theophilus

PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:38 am

TheSmokeamater wrote:

It's funny you should mention it. I recently just discovered "facing". My tobacconist mentioned it in passing when we were talking about my pipe. I think I've rubbed it on my cheek once just to see if the oils felt any different. To be honest, I think my face was too clean. As far as I can tell, the oils from my hands work just as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:00 am

That's really gorgeous. I've got an unfinished Nording that's not nearly that dark, but obviously I don't smoke it all that often. My Savinelli Natural, on the other hand, has gone from birch white to a lovely auburn/chestnut hue in just four months of Sunday smokes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:40 pm

Theophilus wrote:
TheSmokeamater wrote:

It's funny you should mention it. I recently just discovered "facing". My tobacconist mentioned it in passing when we were talking about my pipe. I think I've rubbed it on my cheek once just to see if the oils felt any different. To be honest, I think my face was too clean. As far as I can tell, the oils from my hands work just as well.

The most oils to be had from your face will be found btwn your nose and cheek. I've rubbed my pipes there after I finish a smoke for years and it does add to the color for sure. Once in a while, if you've access to it, a nice thin coat of carnuba wax buffed on a wheel will really make that coloring shine Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:32 pm

This thread actually was the deciding factor in me buying mine today http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=H&srch=KW&item=norsgr06 thank you for the awesome pics.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theophilus

PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:31 am

kaiser83 wrote:
This thread actually was the deciding factor in me buying mine today http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=H&srch=KW&item=norsgr06 thank you for the awesome pics.

Wow! That's a beautiful one. I know you'll enjoy it. Just give yourself a good hour and a half to smoke a full bowl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:21 pm

Theophilus wrote:
TheSmokeamater wrote:

Having a real oily complexion to start with I've always rubbed my pipes on the side of my nose just to shine'em up a bit while smoking. I read some were years ago it was the thing to do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/

Before and After
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Photo Gallery-
Jump to: