Help me design 2 Nordic knives...

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
i.keenum

i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 6:33 pm

Looking good .
Back to top Go down
http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 9:23 pm

I just did the final epoxy-ing of the handle (at last). Being as how there are the file worked discs in the handle I had to shape each piece to size prior to gluing the pieces together, so the file worked surfaces would be at the proper depth, so I put the whole thing together in 'sets' with the 3 metal discs being one, the ebony/brass another, the antler and dymondwood another, etc. Then started gluing those together...step by step...til today the ebony handle went on. Now for the final sanding and then some 'finishing' or should that be "Finn-ishing"?

Photos as I remember...etc.

I also started a commissioned knife a bit ago...with a very fine EnZo blade from D2 and a full convex grind. The handle will be Snakewood...which is totally amazing stuff. Should be a pretty good item when it's done.

Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 D6bddf10Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 29400910Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 114e6110Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 Ddb39b10Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 Cf77ce10Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 Dd692012Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 5:45 pm

Updates:

The first knife is essentially done. And looking pretty OK. Man, I really like that blade...it is totally as sharp as a razor.

Photos of the thing...followed by a pic of a 'commission' piece I'm also working on. It's good to have two or three going at once so that when one has something (like the handle and spacer assembly setting while the epoxy cures, etc.). I'm showing photos of this one as it has an insanely cool blade...and EnZo Nordic made with D2 steel (another major favorite of mine as it's VERY tough, takes an incredible edge...and on this one the grind is a full convex. Very, very nice item. And equal to it in terms of excellence is the handle, which is Snakewood....which is also very, very tough...carves well and is amazing when finished...takes a mirror polish and has THE most amazing pattern. Good stuff. The future owned is a lucky guy.

So, first...the Nordic with the Puronvarsi blade which is hammered out of old Krupp carbonsteel, and is unique with its rombic transversal section, i. e. it is thickest in the middle where the grindline begins...and the Ebony handle carved with a stylized bear head...and the spacer set from nickel silver, fileworked brass, green Dymondwood and Reindeer antler.

Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 DSCN1361

And the commission knife with the EnZo D2 blade and Snakewood handle...spacer set (which was not yet epoxied/ground flush) using Nickel Silver, fiber spacers of rust and forest green and a heavy center spacer of black paper Micarta. The butt of this one is carved smooth and slightly curves, forming a 'hook' for the bottom of the hand. The finger grooves were carved using a lifesized tracing of the future owner's hand...they will fit his hand exactly. Nice.

Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 DSCN1384

Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 DSCN1380

Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 D6bddf10Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 29400910Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 114e6110Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 Ddb39b10Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 Cf77ce10Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 Dd692012Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
i.keenum

i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Both are great, some times want to be older so I can have the time to take on some of these cool hobbies.
Back to top Go down
i.keenum

i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 11:31 pm

The metal bands on that first one are awesome. I really really like the red colored wood in the second one, the grain is great what kind of wood is that?
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 11:43 pm

i.k. - they metal bands are not bands..they are discs that go all the way through...the while front section is like a stack of flapjacks! lol

re: the red colored wood...it's not so 'red' as the photo makes it look. But just READ the thing above the photo. Reading is very helpfull.

Back to top Go down
i.keenum

i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 11:54 pm

what is the little metal bow tie shaped pattern in between the metal disks? I take it that is the brass right? Ah read right over there snakewood part, or more likely stunned by those great blades.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 12:37 am

Yes that's the brass. It's a little bow tie shaped pattern. Laughing

I'm not trying to be 'difficult' IK, it's just that I have no idea what it's actually called...and I refer to it as 'bowtie' as well! Whatever works.

The front metal set is Nickel Silver 3mm / Brass 3 mm / Nickel Silver 2mm...then piece of Ebony like the handle...then a 2mm Nickel Silver disc...then there's another set of three discs...green Dymondwood/Reindeer antler/green Dymondwood...then a final set of three disc, a reverse of the first set....eleven discs in all.

FYI: the setup in the knife with the Snakewood handle (That little piece of kiln dried Snakewood cost $30! It's expensive!) is, from the front, 3mm Nickel Silver, green fiber, rust fiber, black paper micarta, rust fiber, green fiber and finally 1mm Nickel Silver. The rust fiber is EXACTLY the same color as the red in the wood. Looks pretty good matched like that...and the green sets it off nicely.

BTW: I started the other knife of mine today, as I was waiting for the epoxy to set on the Snakewood one. This is the Leuku with the big blade. I started by totally smoothing a piece of antler...then decided to use some Blackwood (just like Ebony) instead and got a big chunk smoothed and rounded. I'm going to see if that big Blacktail crown will work on the end of the Blackwood. That might be cool. The Leuku often traditionally have a big knob of some kind on the end.

Back to top Go down
Lesath

Lesath

Registration date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 12:56 am

It looks like I need to reretire just to catch up with the knifemaking bender Blackhorse is on. He is on fire!
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 1:28 am

Yeah...right. It just takes me 10 times as long to do anything.

Back to top Go down
Lesath

Lesath

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 1:49 am

Shall we call it a slow burn?
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 1:50 am

Simmering.

Back to top Go down
Fishfuzz

Fishfuzz

Registration date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 1:59 am

steeping
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 2:27 am

Banked.

Back to top Go down
Lesath

Lesath

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 11:23 am

Smoking...
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 10:47 am

OK steelheads one and all. Here we are, all together here to witness the inveiling of the latest and greatest of the n....

Oh to heck with all that. Here's the latest knife. The EnZo blade of D2 steel with the full convex grind...handle of Snakewood (first time I've worked it...and it's WAY cool)...bolster/spacer assembly of Nickel Silver, rust and green fiber and black paper Micarta. The finger grooves were measured to fit ONE hand...the owner sent me a diagram of his hand...nice.

S0 then, without further ado...

Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 DSCN1399

Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 DSCN1406

Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 DSCN1404

Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 DSCN1403

Back to top Go down
Lesath

Lesath

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 10:52 am

As I wipe my greasy, nasty hands off, allow me to be the first to offer congratulations on a job well done.
Back to top Go down
i.keenum

i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 10:57 am

Looks great. Hope the owner loves it.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 11:09 am

Thanks...you just saved me sending you (my guru-mentor) a set of photos. Thanks!

I think this is a very tidy yoman piece...an Americanordic, if you will. It should be a hard worker with the D2 steel and very resistant staining...being kind of semi-stainless. To many, D2 represents good traits of both sides of the wonderland lookinglass...the toughness and ease of sharpening of a high carbon steel and the durability and stain resistance of a stainless. Is it Bob Dozer that makes his custom blades from D2 exclusively? Be that as it may, even though I like A2 more due to it's better toughness if Cryo-treated, there is no place that one could take a blade of good D2 that it would be totally respected. Damn good stuff.

Anyway, gotta go. The shop is calling and today I'm fitting the spacers on what should be a pretty cool looking Leuku. Big blade. Handle of Burmese Blackwood with fore and aft spacer assemblies of Nickel Silver, ivory paper Micarta and green fiber. The big news here is that I had to drill the tang hole in the Blackwood with my DeWalt LiIon cyberdrill (lol) and using a 1/8" bit...drilling from the front and the back...the holes actually met in the middle! Astonishing!

The next:

Kankaanpää Knife Blades - Finland
Utility blades in Bohler Uddeholm 0.8% carbon steel used for decades. Slightly convex grind.
Rockwell Hardness 58 - 59.

Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 162

Back to top Go down
i.keenum

i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 11:53 am

Really like the shape of that blade almost tanto like.
Back to top Go down
taharris

taharris

Registration date : 2011-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 12:05 pm

I have a feeling that the owner (me) is going to just love that knife.

It is beautifully done and I love how the hand will fit my hand perfectly.

Thanks for your hard work.

Todd
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/taharris/turningsbytodd
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 2:08 pm

TH is referring to this one:

Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 DSCN1406

One thing I really like about he Nordic style knives is their simplicity. They have few frills (except for the quality of the parts) and are deceptive in that way. But the blades and the way they are shaped (the geometry) and the handle style, etc. are really well designed for cutting with the edge that's on the knife. So the geometry of a Scandi grind will be different from a Convex grind and brother, they come SHARP. What's more, with a convex grind there's a lot more steel behind the edge so they are VERY strong and since they can be field sharpened to insane sharpness with just a mouse pad and a piece of 2000 grit automotive paper...they are VERY easy to maintain. To me those are both major assets.

A knife like the this one with the EnZo blade (which is not extrmemly thick, like a Bark River) is not designed for chopping and hacking. It's a slicer...a cutter. A Bark River knife that has an extremely heavy blade can be used to chop down small trees. You just take the knife and beat on the back of the spine with a chunk of wood (tree limb size) while the blade is sent into the trunk and you'll soon be yelling, "TIMBER"! Note: a convex grind is normally what's on an axe...but not so well done...and of course the steel on an axe is very soft.

Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 10:55 am

Some things go more quickly than others. Except for a bit of filework on the spine and perhaps an application or pin for the butt, this one is done. I like how the green of the fiber spacer comes out, next to the ivory paper micarta...I like the heft and size of the thing (it's about 12" overall).

Kankaanpää Knife Blades - Finland
Utility blades in Bohler Uddeholm 0.8% carbon steel used for decades.
Rockwell Hardness 58 - 59.
Slightly convex grind.

Handle - African Blackwood/Ivory Paper Micarta/Green Fiber Spacers. Finished with 100% Pure Tung Oil.

Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 DSCN1424

Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 DSCN1423

Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 DSCN1426

Back to top Go down
i.keenum

i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 11:40 am

Really like sharp angle of the butt cap. Looks great.
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 12:30 pm

Suhweeeeet!
Back to top Go down
http://www.dshpipes.com

Help me design 2 Nordic knives...
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: