Help me design 2 Nordic knives...

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
williamcharles

williamcharles

Registration date : 2011-09-18

Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 2:15 pm

NICE knives BH. I have a weakness for puukos. Great bushcraft knives. I don't own a custom puuko. I use Moras and Falkniven F1.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 3:53 pm

Thanks guys. The angle really did make for a sharp edge on the nickel silver cap...til I smoothed it down. It would have made a good cheese cutter...or something...I just happen to like cheese.

I finished the fileworking this morning. A vine pattern. It really adds a little panache to the piece. It looked a little 'rustic' what with the black scale left on the flanks of the blade (which I like). Now it has a kind of 'rustic chic' feel to it. Instead of looking like the maker didn'take the time and effort to finish it, it looks like the scale was left on to give it a kind of cool, um, well you know...rustic chic! Like I said.

I've got two pieces of steel finished for the buttcap. One is a low oval dome (came off a Stanley chisel that I parted out for other projects) and the other is a stylized 'lightning bolt'. I'll look at it for a while and one thing or another will start screaming at me that IT wants to be there. Yes, the parts talk to me. (I'm lonely.) lol

The dome thing is cool. It was on the chisel so you could whack on it and it was beaten to a pulp...all dented and dinged up. So I set it into my drill (it has a stem about 1/3" long) and ran the drill and applied successive grits of sandpaper to it til it was smooth and very polished looking. When I got to about 400 grit the thing developed this 'gradient ' effect...like a CD. When you move it in the light it defracts the light and makes cool patterns. Interesting science sidebar or something. Might be a little much for the knife. But then the lightning bolt is no small statement either!

Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 4 D6bddf10Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 4 29400910Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 4 114e6110Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 4 Ddb39b10Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 4 Cf77ce10Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 4 Dd692012Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 4 Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 9:47 am

Very nice!
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Help me design 2 Nordic knives...   Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 1:08 pm

I just ordered a small EnZo blade made from O1 steel...with I assume a scandi grind (totally flat on both sides, no secondary bevel)...as a whittling knife. That'll be my next project. After that...I noticed they make the Leuku blades in some REALLY long sizes...should make a good machete! I might think about that.

Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 4 5801

EnZo Nordic "Lynx" $30
3.4x20x80 mm
Total:200 mm
Carbonsteel: O1
Designed as a real whittler blade.

And I have one piece of very, very high grade Curley Birch, and the shimmer inside this block is amazing!

Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 4 Curly%20birch%20extreme

Curly Birch Extreme $19.00
Very rare and becoming hard to get.
Got some really nice ones in this order!
Lots of curl, shimmer, pattern.

So...I don't buy the bolsters or guards any longer as I cut my own. It's easy with a flat sided blade to get the slot just right...the rhombic shaped blades are a bitch though. Then there's just the spacers and one section to add near to forend of a contrast material.

I've been thinking of cutting across the Birch about 1/4 of the way from the end and making the large piece the handle and the small piece the top of a scabbard, so that when they were put back together they would look like one piece. I would finish the bottom of the scabbard with the same wood I use as the accent piece on the handle...and maybe carve the thing with a stylized Beaver or something...since it's a whittling knife! lol I've got both Rosewood and Blackwood to use as the secondary on the thing and either one would set off the other quite well. I'll see what the grain patterns look like and how the colors match the color in the Birch's curls before I make a choice. And on this one I might use brass as the metal...I have a bunch and it makes for a 'warmer' overall look, etc.

Stay tuned.

Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 4 D6bddf10Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 4 29400910Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 4 114e6110Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 4 Ddb39b10Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 4 Cf77ce10Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 4 Dd692012Help me design 2 Nordic knives... - Page 4 Cowboy13
Back to top Go down

Help me design 2 Nordic knives...
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: