HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...   Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:48 pm

...I'm by no means an expert or proper typewriter collector, but the the stupid things keep ending up in my junk collecting/hoarding. Looking up some Royal models today, I came across a great 1942 picture of Faulkner that satisfied me as a typist, pipe smoker and a writer... just thought I'd share. Feel free to post your typewriters, other pictures of the like or just enjoy this one. Laughing

I have sat many times, akin to this, dressed just as such, with a pipe, outside, typing and puffin' away. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlG

Registration date : 2012-01-26

PostSubject: Re: William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...   Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:24 pm

Wonderful pic!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.goussardpipes.com/
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...   Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:25 pm

I had no idea Faulkner wore Uggs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...   Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:54 pm

gravel wrote:
I had no idea Faulkner wore Uggs.

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...   Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:34 pm

Thanks for posting, Kyle. Always glad to see pictures of pipe smokers

... And Ugg aficionados lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...   Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:01 am

I never understood people's fascination or aversion to those stupid shoes, aside from being a contemporary meme for mediocre television comics. scratch

I just want the chair. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...   Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:51 pm

Smith-Corona Sterling 1950 - 1953 (roughly). I have one. Types well, I named mine "Oscar." Joined by a near-perfect, great-typing 1929 Royal Portable 1 (in black/blue), a somewhat junky 1937 Royal Portable "Model O", and a 1970 Brother Charger 11 (in gov'ment blue) that I use a lot because it's so dang small.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...   Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:42 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...   Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:17 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
I never understood people's fascination or aversion to those stupid shoes, aside from being a contemporary meme for mediocre television comics. scratch

I just want the chair. Cool

Ditto on the chair. As far as uggs, they were invented to be worn "apres surf" to warm your feet after a day of riding (shearling inside is warm, comfortable, wicks moisture, but you can dump the sand out when it is dry). THIS makes sense to me. It doesent justify every teenage girl "NEEDING" a $150 pair of shoes, (especially 1000 miles from the ocean), but it does make them less stupid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...   Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:34 pm

Those photos are obviously taken years apart from one another, but that is definitely the same chair.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...   Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:54 pm

Dave_In_Philly wrote:
Those photos are obviously taken years apart from one another, but that is definitely the same chair.

Think so? The hair looks awfully similar. I believe one photo is more flattering than the other.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...   Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:27 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Smith-Corona Sterling 1950 - 1953 (roughly). I have one. Types well, I named mine "Oscar." Joined by a near-perfect, great-typing 1929 Royal Portable 1 (in black/blue), a somewhat junky 1937 Royal Portable "Model O", and a 1970 Brother Charger 11 (in gov'ment blue) that I use a lot because it's so dang small.

My late Mom had a Smith-Corona exactly like that Kyle. Same tweed case and everything! Spent a lot of time horsing around on it.

Funny, but I never really learned to type. 2 finger hunt and peck here.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
TheSmokeamater

Registration date : 2012-05-26

PostSubject: Re: William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...   Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:40 pm

1926 Underwood 5. Had it refurbished when I got it 20 odd yrs ago. The look and feel of a page typed on this thing is beautiful when quality parer is used. Straight out of the past!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...   Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:51 am

TheSmokeamater wrote:
1926 Underwood 5. Had it refurbished when I got it 20 odd yrs ago. The look and feel of a page typed on this thing is beautiful when quality parer is used. Straight out of the past!

Gorgeous Undie-5. I've been after the portables, but if I ever get my own office, I'll get a full-size model of something. I like the utilitarian nature of Royals and the styling of Underwoods.

I would love to get nice paper for my 'writers but no linen leaf for me. Laughing The platen on that '29 Model 1 is so forgiving it makes a nice letter no matter what paper I use. The rest I have to hammer on quite a bit.

Brewdude wrote:

My late Mom had a Smith-Corona exactly like that Kyle. Same tweed case and everything! Spent a lot of time horsing around on it.

Funny, but I never really learned to type. 2 finger hunt and peck here.

Cheers,

RR

I was probably the first or second generation that genuinely had computers or some kind of keybed around me all through school. It was funny, by the time we got to high school and they still were teaching typing, I could at that point outpace my instructor. Many of the kids could. They removed the class from the curriculum a year or so later. Laughing I bet that typing teacher was not happy.

Those post-war Smith-Corona typewriters are probably one of the most common early post-war models made. I see them everywhere. They type nicely...hunt'n'peck or home-row style Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...   Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:40 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
I was probably the first or second generation that genuinely had computers or some kind of keybed around me all through school. It was funny, by the time we got to high school and they still were teaching typing, I could at that point outpace my instructor. Many of the kids could. They removed the class from the curriculum a year or so later. Laughing I bet that typing teacher was not happy.

Those post-war Smith-Corona typewriters are probably one of the most common early post-war models made. I see them everywhere. They type nicely...hunt'n'peck or home-row style Cool

When I was in school in the 60s there were no typewriter classes. Everything was done in longhand. There may have been some after
school extracurricular classes for those wanting to become secretaries or involved in journalism but I never was aware of them.

Frankly I hate the layout of the keyboard. Makes no sense to me. It would be much better for me if it was arranged in alphabetical order.

<shrug>

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...   Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:13 pm

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/221/was-the-qwerty-keyboard-purposely-designed-to-slow-typists

*shrug* It's probably the most thought-provoking article I could find in a pinch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PhilD

Registration date : 2011-08-19

PostSubject: Re: William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...   Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:48 pm

I remember taking a typing class in high school...about 1961 or 62. Lots of girls in the class. Probably why I took it. But it turns out that with the advent of computers it was the most important class that I had in high school. Sure came in handy in later years! I still have an old Remington portable somewhere and a Smith Corona electric from about 1970.

Phil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...   Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:21 pm

I was in high school in the early 60s and avoided typing classes.
Probably one of my biggest mistakes.
Now I am a hunter and pecker.
If I could type really fast, no telling where I would be now.
I also didn't take Driver's Ed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...   Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:23 pm

Bub wrote:
I also didn't take Driver's Ed.

...but I can assume you can still drive fast, right? Twisted Evil

Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

PostSubject: Re: William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...   Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:43 pm

Unfortunately I drive faster than I types.
Yesterday I drove into a sewer.
While there was no serious damage to my car, I would have preferred to use spellchecker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...   Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:53 pm

I think that it is a mistake to in any way correlate typing speed with driving speed. Speedy typing gets communication done. One has in mind certain ideas that would be communicated, and the fingers chime in to produce a rolling out of the verbiage to accomplish this.

Driving speed is much more complex, and puts one's life on the line, as measured by the adherence to curves and the alternating pressure between accelerator and brake; in short, a more Hunteresque Thompson test of the the ability to survive in the face of one's assessment of the tolerance of the road, as beset by the debilitating influence of drugs and alcohol, and one's coordination, than anything else.

Typing is fingered coordination pounding on the keys to render ideas. Risk-taking driving is a test of ability against survival. Thompson always contested with survival and survived many life-threatening tests; but in the end this record of survival didn't matter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

PostSubject: Re: William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...   Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:02 pm

I was driving about 1 mph and did not see a sewer opening as I made a right turn in a new neighborhood.
While it was MY fault, I would have preferred spell checker to come to my rescue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...   Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:06 am

Typing and drinking has plenty of casualties, too. Back then it was "Dear John" letters. Yesterday it was an errant email to a boss. Today it's "drunktexting." Laughing

I'll probably be the first person to get pulled over for doing 110MPH while typing on one of my Royals for speeding and distracted driving. At least I can type "SORRY" in a nice font and hand it to the officer.

Cool

By the way, my friend James (jacquesdubois) is a true typewriter guy, and has a bunch he's trying to get rid for cheap if any of you really want some cool ones. He has too many. Need people who will appreciate them and not hack them up into jewelry bits. Thought I'd throw that out there.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
zjgilbert

Registration date : 2012-06-04

PostSubject: Re: William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...   Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:18 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:

I have sat many times, akin to this, dressed just as such, with a pipe, outside, typing and puffin' away. Cool

I now have the image of you in those shorts burned into my mind... lol! I really wish I'd grown up in that time period. Really cool pic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccoreviews.com/reviewer_detail.cfm?UID=7802
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...   Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:21 am

"Staring at the sun seemed like such a bright idea."

But enough about my tan lines...more thrift-store cutoffs than whatever threads Faulkner decided to hike up to his navel.

Yeah, well, since those times are lost, better to just live them in your own mind. That's what I see old people (from that time period, no less) doing, and they seem pretty happy. I'm there.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

William Faulkner, pipes, typewriters...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: