HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Gas prices

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
BriarBrad

Registration date : 2012-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Gas prices   Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:30 pm

42 gallons of diesel for the Excursion ran 172.27 today. That will last 6-8 days depending on work schedule.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Gas prices   Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:46 pm

BriarBrad wrote:
42 gallons of diesel for the Excursion ran 172.27 today. That will last 6-8 days depending on work schedule.

Shocked

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
J Soshae

Registration date : 2011-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Gas prices   Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:52 pm

We pay our company fuel every 2 weeks. I mailed a check yesterday for over $3000.00. There went my PAD money.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Gas prices   Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:54 pm

Greyson wrote:
Just to make you guys feel a bit better: I filled my new car up for the second time today - before I went out I did a search on http://www.petrolprices.com, the cheapest diesel within 15 miles of me was 8 miles away at Bude, where it was selling for 142.9p per litre. That's 649.6p per gallon, which equates to $10.41 It had about 1/8th of a tank left, and I filled it to the top. I walked away with a bill just over 96 or $153.72

Shocked

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Gas prices   Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:18 pm

Boy, how I do miss these days...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Gas prices   Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:30 am

Rob_In_MO wrote:
Boy, how I do miss these days...

Yeah. That 7-11 logo was pretty sweet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Gas prices   Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:53 am

I'm amused of Brits chiming in about their miserable gas prices, but considering the ways one can get around there, and how darned small the Kingdom actually is, mile for mile of road, I do have to say, coin-for-coin, we're feeling it much, much more. Especially in smaller towns that incur costs (and artificially inflate prices) when they know they're the only game for hundreds and hundreds of miles... "...buy here, or run out...not our problem." Smile

The company I am hired/contract with on occasion is UK-based and they often call up and ask, practically accusingly, of why our mileage reports are so high. All I tell them is to pull up a map of Nevada, notice the distance measurement scale, and ask that question again, if they must. Geography ignorance ain't just an American issue.

Yeah, I'm gettin' "cheeky." Smile

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Gas prices   Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:44 pm

Hmm. I have a few things to say to that, but I'll let it go in the spirit of fraternity.

But I think I'm entitled to a 'eff you Kyle'!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Gas prices   Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:56 pm

An "eff you" is always a good choice. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Gas prices   Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:58 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:

The company I am hired/contract with on occasion is UK-based and they often call up and ask, practically accusingly, of why our mileage reports are so high. All I tell them is to pull up a map of Nevada, notice the distance measurement scale, and ask that question again, if they must. Geography ignorance ain't just an American issue.

I'm not sure if your distance analogy holds well for gas prices, but considering they have 20% of our population all living in area the size of Oregon (or NY & PA together, for east coasters) it's hardly surprising they see distances in a different perspective Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Gas prices   Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:07 pm

I should have clarified more...

...if someone pays $10.00/gal for gas, and drives ten miles per week, even in a car get gets 10MPG will only cost $40 per month. Twenty miles per week would be $80. I don't know what wages are in Britain, but they're probably higher than the US, job-for-job.

If someone pays $4.00/gal for gas, his work truck gets 22MPG, and heads off into the blue yonder for 400 miles, that could be roughly $75 for one trip. One way. Out of a small business pocket. To go make around $150 take-home pay (that's if that someone gets to take it home and not further the company). Cool

Yeah, the cost mile-per-mile is higher, but there's a relation to the size of a country and its gas prices--for a reason. People aren't just driving around in circles, are they? Laughing

This is thoughtful exaggeration meeting hyperbole for fun. Don't anyone get their knickers in a twist. albino

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

PostSubject: Re: Gas prices   Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:53 pm

Well, as you alluded to earlier Kyle, the geography dictates driving habits here just as it does in Nevada.

Where we have high density population areas, yes, you probably wouldn't do as many miles. If you were a Londoner you might do none at all, as many live without cars. However you cant really generalise based on that, or any one area of the UK as the level of development differs radically:

Where I am now in the south west is very undeveloped country. While it is part of the UK, it is also very isolated from any major population centres, distribution centres or really any mass networks of any kind. It's so isolated, it still has its own separate and incomprehensible celtic language here, called Kernowek. In the Scottish highlands you can go hundreds of miles without seeing any evidence another human. On the island of Sark, cars are banned altogether, and you have to use horses or bikes. On the Isle of Herm you're not even allowed to use a bicycle... so all in all it's a bit of a disservice to lump all of the UK as a single experience, regardless of how 'comparatively small' we are.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you have no direct experience of living in the UK, only second hand references and anecdotal evidence for comparison. On the other hand, as well as living in the UK, I have spent a lot of time in Washington, Florida, Arizona, Texas and California, and I can tell you in terms of fuel prices - you're better off with your $3.70 per gallon than we are with our $10. By quite a lot.

Now, if you want to have a conversation about how bad Americans have it with their health care, that's an argument I can accept... I have no idea how you guys tolerate it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Gas prices   Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:13 pm

No, I haven't been in the UK, but you're taking a personal account and merely referencing my own--even if I did visit the UK, as you visited the states you went to, you have to admit working and making a living with distance are far different, and is apples to oranges by that. Distance is distance, and square mileage just doesn't change. Driving "habits" are different, pure and simple. If time is money, in that regard, in travel alone just existing within our respective countries, we have ya beat. The percentage of people that live as you do in an isolated area compared to the people that live in isolated areas here in the US simply can't be the same. More people here live in distance relative to their destination. Thus, $10 gas would truly cripple us, whereas it doesn't necessarily cripple the UK. I don't see it as a "who can complain about prices more," versus the fiends of OPEC setting the standards of consumable petroleum in a country that really can't create the same product (as we can here in the US). Then there's the price gouging that naturally happens from petrol company to petrol company, market demands, etc. Those guys can turn a profit in the UK with $10/gas gas, and the threshold in the US is under $5/gal. Squarely stated: we live in two very different places.

Plus, speaking for myself here, I cannot afford (by a long-shot) to travel to the UK to get worldly experience like my European brethren, so their (your) gas prices aren't exactly a hindrance in that regard. Smile

Nope, I'm not world-traveled, but far from the "ignorant, typical American" that had his head buried. Conclusions about it all can be had with a little observation of markets and geography--hardly anecdotal. When it comes down to it, sure. You got me beat: You have $10 gas. I have $4 gas. To me, it's economic and a wash, but in a numbers-based Western society which we all fit squarely within, size matters most.

From my hellish last two months or so with my family, talking healthcare is the last conversation I want to be having right now, see-voo-play.

If you want to talk about general citizens' rights and how bad YOU guys have it in the UK, I can go down that road--I don't know how you guys tolerate that.

Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Gas prices   Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:37 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:

If you want to talk about general citizens' rights and how bad YOU guys have it in the UK, I can go down that road--I don't know how you guys tolerate that.

I lied, I probably can't/shouldn't go down that road for the here-and-now. Neutral Later.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

PostSubject: Re: Gas prices   Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:42 pm

Well, I offered that reference as an oblique and hopefully inoffensive reference to your experience, as I appreciate that what you've been going through must have been hellish, and a way of saying that not all things over here are the worst they could be. It wasn't written as a barb.

In regards to the relative merits of gas prices and driving habits, I wasn't intending or looking for an argument about it - the thread seemed to be an open debate and I was just putting my experiences forward. We clearly have very different perspectives and without walking a mile in each others shoes I don't think our points of view are likely to change. So I'm going to leave it at that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Gas prices   Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:46 pm

My feet stink anyway. Good call. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Gas prices
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4