HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The (Rebuilt) Collection so far.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dreadgerbil

Registration date : 2012-01-05

PostSubject: The (Rebuilt) Collection so far.   Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:29 pm

I had a very small collection of awesome pipes when I moved to America. Unfortunately, they all got badly damaged when I moved over here. (Suitcase was badly handled.)
I started rebuilding my collection slowly and now have double the pipes I had.
I've also decided to refine my collection a little. From now on I am going to be focusing on getting pipes either with a Scottish name or of Scottish brands. (To remind me of home.)

So here are my pipes so far.

This is the collection as a whole.

My two cobs. Both MM's. Very nice smokes.

Unnamed Rhodesian which I like and a Kaywoodie rustica which I don't smoke a lot but loved the look of.

A Duke of Dundee squared Billiard and a Duke of Dundee Apple. I LOVE both of these. Great smokes.

A beautiful 40's Grabow gifted to me by Kieverryuu and a lovely Grabow Duke which is an amazing smoke for the price.

A Medico Freehand (Brylon but actually smokes well) and an Arlingtom Custom Imperial Briar. (Cheap buy for throwaway purposes but surprised me by being one of my best smokes.)

A Buffalo shaped Meerschaum which may or may not be giving me chemical burns and an unnamed sort of Oom Paul that I love but needs some repair work.

An unnamed and very fancy sort of Bulldog which I really love. Great smoke and a nice large bowl.

Last edited by Dreadgerbil on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: The (Rebuilt) Collection so far.   Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:37 pm

Love that misidentified Rhodesian (actually a straight bulldog)... they're one of my favorite shapes. Cool I have three no-name or unknown-named variants... all of them stellar pipes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreadgerbil

PostSubject: Re: The (Rebuilt) Collection so far.   Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:27 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Love that misidentified Rhodesian (actually a straight bulldog)... they're one of my favorite shapes. Cool I have three no-name or unknown-named variants... all of them stellar pipes.

LOL. I'm not even going to get into the Rhodesian vs Bulldog argument. Glad you seem to enjoy them. I got that one as a replacement when the one I originally ordered was broken before they could ship it and I'm actually pretty happy with it. It's a great smoke for the garden.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: The (Rebuilt) Collection so far.   Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:06 pm

Dreadgerbil wrote:

LOL. I'm not even going to get into the Rhodesian vs Bulldog argument. Glad you seem to enjoy them. I got that one as a replacement when the one I originally ordered was broken before they could ship it and I'm actually pretty happy with it. It's a great smoke for the garden.

Right, fair statement. It is the Internet, after all. I'm into perpetuating the rumor square shank = bulldog, round shank = Rhodesian, bowl shape notwithstanding. You can call it an effing platypus and I'll still think it's awesome. Smoking my leather-wrapped straight 'dog* right now. Cool

(*...I mean, platypus...) Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheSmokeamater

Registration date : 2012-05-26

PostSubject: Re: The (Rebuilt) Collection so far.   Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:18 pm

I love both of those Duke of Dundee pipes. Right up my alley. Traditional with a touch of weird.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreadgerbil

PostSubject: Re: The (Rebuilt) Collection so far.   Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:01 pm

TheSmokeamater wrote:
I love both of those Duke of Dundee pipes. Right up my alley. Traditional with a touch of weird.

I really enjoy them and am always keeping my eye out for more. Although, I have to be honest, every one I have come across is filthy. They usually require a grinding tool to get out the years of uncleaned cake. The first one I couldn't even fit my pinky in!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: The (Rebuilt) Collection so far.   Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:42 pm

That's a manly-looking collection, DG. I love that '40s Grabow. It's hard to tell from the angle but it looks a lot like a Kaywoodie 82, sort of bulldoggy in an art deco way, with a blunted triangle cross-section to the shank. Am I right, or am I just seeing things?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreadgerbil

PostSubject: Re: The (Rebuilt) Collection so far.   Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:34 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
That's a manly-looking collection, DG. I love that '40s Grabow. It's hard to tell from the angle but it looks a lot like a Kaywoodie 82, sort of bulldoggy in an art deco way, with a blunted triangle cross-section to the shank. Am I right, or am I just seeing things?

Why thank you. It's not a bad collection at all. I have my eye on a few others right now on 'The Bay.'

You're absolutely right about the Grabow. It's been one of my favourite smokes. Kieveryuu gave it to me and recently gifted me a lovely lighter, too.

Also, I just realised the last picture was a doubler of my Dundees so I corrected that. The last one is one of my favourite pipes. Just dashing, so it is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: The (Rebuilt) Collection so far.   Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:14 pm

Dreadgerbil wrote:
Also, I just realised the last picture was a doubler of my Dundees so I corrected that. The last one is one of my favourite pipes. Just dashing, so it is.

Ooh! That IS a pretty one! The gnarly-ness balances well with the fancy stem extension.
The Kaywoodie 82 (twin to your Grabow) is sort of my white whale. To me, it's the quintessential Kaywoodie from the company's peak era, not to mention styling that's an attractive example of early mid-century modern, right up my alley. I just never seem to be in the right place at the right time (with enough money) to add one to my rack. Kiev's got a good eye, as well as a generous heart. Enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreadgerbil

PostSubject: Re: The (Rebuilt) Collection so far.   Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:06 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
Dreadgerbil wrote:

Ooh! That IS a pretty one! The gnarly-ness balances well with the fancy stem extension.
The Kaywoodie 82 (twin to your Grabow) is sort of my white whale. To me, it's the quintessential Kaywoodie from the company's peak era, not to mention styling that's an attractive example of early mid-century modern, right up my alley. I just never seem to be in the right place at the right time (with enough money) to add one to my rack. Kiev's got a good eye, as well as a generous heart. Enjoy it.

Thanks, GK. Hopefully you'll have some luck and catch your unicorn eventually.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: The (Rebuilt) Collection so far.   Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:28 pm

Kiev's a swell dude. I was just mentioning to him I ought to look you guys up if I'm ever in Boise. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreadgerbil

PostSubject: Re: The (Rebuilt) Collection so far.   Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:32 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Kiev's a swell dude. I was just mentioning to him I ought to look you guys up if I'm ever in Boise. Cool

You definitely should. Boise's not a bad wee town.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The (Rebuilt) Collection so far.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1