HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

moderation/cutting back

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: moderation/cutting back   Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:39 pm

I'm normally pretty moderate in my smoking. Like most people (I'd surmise) I tend to sway back and forth a bit, at times smoking only a few times a week, at others a bit of gluttonous binging here and there with multiple bowls a day. I think that's pretty normal. I guess if I averaged it out over a year my smoking would come out at maybe a bowl a day. It used to be higher, but I forced myself to cut back a bit when I found myself doing it out of habit. Like eating easy to get junk food or drinking single malt scotch, all good things in moderation. I usually don't have too much trouble keeping myself in line. I think for overall health it's the smart way to approach it.

Lately I've been under a good deal of stress and have found myself puffing away like a mad man, even when I know I'm not really enjoying it. I've been habitually smoking to keep myself doing something distracting (mostly at work, I can smoke a lot there). I've hit that point where I realize I'm not enjoying it, I'm just doing it, even though I know I'm not enjoying it. In fact, I think the situation and increased smoking is making me enjoy it even less. So, when I got off work friday morning at 5 am, after working all night and having had smoked 4 pipefulls that night, I put it away for a couple of days. I left work with a mouth that tasted of ashtray and knot in my stomach. I relaxed and worked out and did some running this weekend, and purposely did not make time for a pipe. I was glad to find that I was not jonesing from the lack of nicotine - I've never big a big nic hit seeker - and I never once felt like I was being deprived of something.

So this afternoon I was watching the final round of the Congressional tournament and decided to go ahead and have a pipe, as the wife and kids were gone (I don't smoke inside when the kids are home, which is most of the time). I thoroughly enjoyed half the bowl, then it started tasting kind of bleh. No biggie, I just quit and called it good. I was glad to find that it tasted good after having overdone it, and glad to be able to just stop when I felt like stopping with no concern. I think that's how it's going to have to be for me, and I'm going to have to show a little more self discipline.

I could stand to smoke a little less and workout a little more. Since I had my hernia surgery late january I managed to keep at the working out, but at a much lower rate than usual. I was continually told to take it slow, not push too hard, maybe won't be able to get back to exactly where/what I was doing before. I think I used that as a crutch for a while there, and as an excuse to sit more and smoke more. Felt awfully good to run again, hadn't done much in the last few months. I'm still in pretty damned good shape for being almost 50 and having gone through 3 surgeries in 3 years, but I could do better. Gained back a few pounds I need to drop once again. I think I'll purposely limit myself to 3 pipes a week for the summer, as treats when I know I'll enjoy them, and see how that goes. No taking a pipe to work, as that's when I am most tempted to smoke (usually first thing in the morning). Unlike a lot of guys, I almost never smoke in the evening as I just don't enjoy smoking when I'm tired, and I'm always tired at night Laughing

I dunno, I guess I just felt like sharing that. Figured some of you guys must go through the same kind of things from time to time. Anyone have any trouble trying to curb your smoking, or have any feelings on the matter?

Fully expecting a few "I smoke a dozen bowls a day, girly man!!" responses Laughing

PostSubject: Re: moderation/cutting back   Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:16 pm

Cigarettes, absolutely.

Pipes, no. They aren't an absentminded fiddle-with-something like cigarettes are, oftentimes symptomatic of boredom.

Some nights I come home from work, intending to smoke a pipe, but it slips my mind until bed time.

Enjoyed when smoked but not regretted when missed.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: moderation/cutting back   Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:38 am

Amen to the "symptomatic boredom" notion. Neutral

PD, I've had a lot more anxiety/autistic attacks lately due to stress and...yeah, boredom...and the pipe is something just to get past the rough stuff. It's a distraction.

I agree though, lately I've been doing the same thing, and I enjoy my pipe better when it's just once a day or so. It isn't that I crave it, it's just something that's too easy to do when there's been a lot of down time, because when I'm busy, I don't even think about it. The simple pleasures of killing time in a really awesome way are too tempting, as is food, drink or anything else.

Habit? Maybe, but not because of being "hooked," more than just wanting comfort. At least from my angle. I have incidentally been working out more and Aikido training more, too, again, out of boredom. I just need to give my tongue a break. Laughing Moderation should be due to enjoyment, not necessarily the baseline of approach. So I'm with ya, good luck, unwind a little, do what you gotta do, and I'm sure many of us here understand exactly where you're comin' from.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: moderation/cutting back   Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:34 am

I don't really have the time at the moment to absentmindedly smoke a pipe, but I do catch myself doing the same thing with alcohol. Drinking beer and/ bourbon simply out of habit rather than for enjoyments sake. I force myself to take a break every so often, if for no other reason than to avoid the empty calories.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr. Doody

Registration date : 2012-04-14

PostSubject: Re: moderation/cutting back   Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:52 pm

All things in moderation.

Especially moderation.

Doody.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: moderation/cutting back   Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:06 pm

I completely understand . I am especially like that with food , really have to make myself concentrate so I can slow down and actually taste the food.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: moderation/cutting back   Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:55 pm

One of t he things that I like best about pipe smoking is the ability to put down the pipe for any number of days and not crave or miss it alot. I think I enjoy the baccy more after Ive had a few days off from it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: moderation/cutting back   Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:17 pm

I tend to ID my pipes with relaxation and escape, and I can't remember ever being driven to the bowl as an antidote to stress. It's the opposite of my cig-smoking compadres for whom the cig is an effective counter to frayed nerves. I used to have a print of a pipe smoker -- he's evidently arrived home, didn't bother to take off his coat or hat and just plunked himself down in his chair and sought solace in his pipe. If he'd been a cig smoker, he'd have burned half a pack on the way home. As a pper, he sought his cave, his pipe and a respite from the rest of the world. With my older pipes, I can get the restorative effect just by simulating smoking a familiar briar without any tobacco in it. It also offers the plus of not having to clean the pipe after the faux-smoke. Vitamin N for the cig smoker is a stress relieving drug. For the piper, the briar is more of a reset button, I'd say.

Last edited by KevinM on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: moderation/cutting back   Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:22 pm

reset button : Cool

What a Face
Back to top Go down

moderation/cutting back
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1