Another pipe rack project.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
bosun1

bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another pipe rack project.   Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 11:05 pm

Blackhorse wrote:

I'm currently working on a wood scabbard for my first bushcraft knife, a fish club out of Ginko wood from a neighbor's felled tree, a new bushcraft knife, a stand for a trout sized fillet knife, and a few other things. When I lay in bed at night and visualize what I'm going to be doing the next day, sometimes I get the projects confused. Sometimes that leads to really cool ideas. Usually not. lol

It is great to be retired and have the time to just think of projects, then have the time to do them. Beats the heck out of spending twelve hours a day earning your daily bread then spending your off time catching up on things like the lawn!!
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Another pipe rack project.   Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 1:45 am

I know. I did your gig for 50 years. Now, the last thing I do every day is to thank God for this time, as well as the first ones. They've all been pretty good...some have been stellar. Now it really is what the term 'golden' refers to. But I can feel it just a little more as one day falls to another. It's why I push myself to do as much as I possibly can now. Three years ago I could stand in front of a vise holding a Damascus billet and do stock removal with a big rasp for 4 hours in the morning, break for a 30 minute lunch, and do another couple of hours. Of course I took breaks regularly. But now if I do 2 hours and then one more...that's about it. So I shift the projects around and work on 4 - 5 things at once...like I described above...repetitive injury things would really get in the way. But I've got many years still in me, just different years. And each day of each one is one I treasure. None of us gets enough as it is. Right?

Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 D6bddf10Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 29400910Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 114e6110Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 Ddb39b10Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 Cf77ce10Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 Dd692012Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Another pipe rack project.   Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 1:26 pm

So - on a humerous note here a few pics of the most recent completion. The Bear Fillet Knife. Yes, I know one does not fillet a bear...it's that the bear...oh never mind. Just check out the photos below.

This is proof that even though someone can make a fine piece of furniture or pipe or a beautiful knife...that they also have a serious side!

When I was doing design classes at school one of the most interesting things I found was the use of 'found objects' and the worth of 'folk art'. They say that every artist or craftsman or whatever will usually find one aspect of design that intrigues them or they try to solve some 'problem' or issue throughout your entire career. For Calder is was the three-point figure in three dimensional space...or maybe that was Rodin. I forget. But for me, the fascination of taking what you have on hand or combining a found item and making an interesting and relavent piece.I find that cool. Always have. That and Folk Art...things made by regular folks (but that had significant talent) that might be regular working utensils or tools or fixtures. You see them of the Road Show all the time. Walking sticks, toys, weather vanes, scrimmed powder horns, things made by prisoners, whatever.

Anyway, the silly bear handled fillet knife, for me, falls into the Folk Art catgory.

You should see some of the canes, clubs and especially walking sticks that I've done! Pretty fun stuff.

Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 DSCN1921_zps9eb891dd

Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 DSCN1926_zps3d27f99a

Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 DSCN1930_zps96dde232

Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 D6bddf10Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 29400910Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 114e6110Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 Ddb39b10Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 Cf77ce10Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 Dd692012Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
friar_jay

friar_jay

Registration date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Another pipe rack project.   Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 1:28 pm

I like it Blackhorse...the pipe rack from the first post that is. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/13483
kale1984

kale1984

Registration date : 2013-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Another pipe rack project.   Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 2:50 pm

the knife looks great! I think I might have to look into some courses like did. the thing I definitely struggle with it is doing work by hand, especially carving.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Another pipe rack project.   Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 9:06 pm

The one thing I would tell anyone in your position would be to skip the classes, invest the money in a small tool set and look up the 'how to' stuff on the Internet.

This is the first set of carving tools I bought for myself. The size is ideal for pipes and the kind of work I do. The steel on these is excellent and once really sharp you can hone the edge with a strop easily.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2001349/10506/shinwa-full-size-carving-tool-set-7-piece.aspx

Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 18C42

At the same time I recommend getting a this little strop kit by Flexcut. Either that or just get a little bar of the Flexcut Gold compound and make your own strop...actually make two...a small one (1'' x 6'') and a larger one (3'' x 12''). Use a hardwood base, not thick, like 1/3''. Go to thrift stores and look for heavy leather belts and use the inside of the belt once you find one that is like rawhide. When you cut the wood for the thing give it a paddle handle and drill a hanging hole into it so you can hang it right where you're working. Strop your tools lightly before each carving session. You'll be amazed how much easier they cut with a light strop.

You'll know you're a potential carver if you just can't stop yourself from getting the tools. Then you'll know that you're going to be good if you love the activity of carving...the feel of the blade cutting through the wood. The thing to do is to just do it. You'll learn by doing.

PS: a vise is invaluable as well. I have four and use them all. Get a small one and bolt it to a piece of pine shelving, like a foot wide. It's now a lap vise. It really helps if the vise swivels.

The one I use as a lap vise is this one:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2020166/20831/groz-4-reversible-vise.aspx

The one I use in the shop is this one:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2004767/7886/woodriver-universal-vise.aspx

I wait for sales like on the first one, as they are expensive.

Good luck.

Last edited by Blackhorse on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kaiser83

kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Another pipe rack project.   Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 5:22 am

She's a beaut BH darn fine job brother.
Back to top Go down
i.keenum

i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Another pipe rack project.   Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 12:02 pm

Don't know how I missed this. That maple is amazing.
Back to top Go down
http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Another pipe rack project.   Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 12:35 pm

The Maple Burl, supplied to me as a gift by brother Lesath, is/was a truly beautiful piece of wood. Originally a very light blond, it really shows off the first two-tone staining I attempted. Feibings Shoe Dye (one of the standard dyes used by pipe makers) with the first coat being 'dark brown' leaves a piece of wood that looks somewhat like a cowpie...which is then sanded back so that the more absorbant grain sections have retained it while on the harder areas it has been sanded off. Then the second color, the lighter one, is applied. Once dry it is also sanded, but not so much as to remove the color, so that the two show off the grain. Without the two-tone process the wood looks good, but not stunning.

After it's all dried, sanded and buffed I use 100 0/0 Pure Tung Oil (that's the actual brand name) and do about 5 - 6 coats...none of which are allowed to dry on the surface. Then once the piece has dried enough (the damn oil can continue to cure until hard for a month or longer, depending on the ambient temperature and humidity. So I wait a good long time but eventually hit it with a couple of applications of Carnuba Wax, which needs a fast wheel in order to both apply the wax to the buff and to transfer it to the piece. It's so hard it needs plenty of friction to melt it and a fast wheel is the only way the pure wax is effectively applied. Oddly enough, for small pieces like a Strummel, a Dremel or similar tool with a rag wheel does a good job due to the extreme speed they operate at...resulting in high frictional temps.

Anyway, that's the story on the wood.

Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Another pipe rack project.   Another pipe rack project. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 1:29 pm

Very pretty! You did a great job with the stain...well, and the whole thing for that matter.
Back to top Go down
http://GrowleyPipes.com

Another pipe rack project.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: