HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Anonymous Ben Wade

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Anonymous Ben Wade   Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:32 pm

Just showed up one day. Apparently it needed a good home.

A Ben Wade, apparently a mid 1970s model 49, nice stout (but classy) bent bulldog. Kind of Pete 999 lookin', wouldn't you say?

The grain on it is super cool, and it has a golden glow none of my other pipes have. This is after a salt treatment and after I cleaned it up...all it really needed was the vulcanite stem and the bowl polished up. It's all ready to go!

Thank you very much, anonymous, you damn well know who you are. I hope the care and shine I put back in this one makes ya proud. I got that briar and stem shinin' like chrome! cheers Cool A fantastic gift that I'll cherish for years. I don't deserve such good friends.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Anonymous Ben Wade   Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:34 pm

Very nice! And good for you Smile Good karma to whomever sent it to you Cool

Irish Mike

Registration date : 2012-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Anonymous Ben Wade   Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:14 pm

Great looking pipe Kyle! I have a Preben Holm era Ben Wade the same golden color and it is a good smoker, now that I see how great it could look I should give it a good buff. Best of luck with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Anonymous Ben Wade   Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:41 pm

Dang, Kyle. What is it about you that makes folks just want to randomly send you pipes? That ones quite a looker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Anonymous Ben Wade   Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:11 am

Keep showin' off your ugly denim pipe, and someone will pity you. Laughing

I don't know, I guess I'm just a nice guy. Or someone pities me because I'm broke. More than likely, though, it's with caveat: Pay it forward. I give, I receive--both in honor and humility. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Anonymous Ben Wade   Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:30 pm

Damn handsome pipe!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckshot

Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Anonymous Ben Wade   Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:25 pm

Congratulations, Kyle! Beautiful pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Anonymous Ben Wade   Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:56 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Just showed up one day. Apparently it needed a good home.

A Ben Wade, apparently a mid 1970s model 49, nice stout (but classy) bent bulldog. Kind of Pete 999 lookin', wouldn't you say?

The grain on it is super cool, and it has a golden glow none of my other pipes have. This is after a salt treatment and after I cleaned it up...all it really needed was the vulcanite stem and the bowl polished up. It's all ready to go!

Thank you very much, anonymous, you damn well know who you are. I hope the care and shine I put back in this one makes ya proud. I got that briar and stem shinin' like chrome! cheers Cool A fantastic gift that I'll cherish for years. I don't deserve such good friends.

Kyle,
You are one VERY fortunate dude Razz A Ben Wade Rhodesian !! Wow !! Looks like it'll be a good FM #2000 flake pipe Razz Even you desrve some friends Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Anonymous Ben Wade   Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:07 pm

I know, the famous Monbla passive-aggressive correcting technique. I've been doing some reading and there's some camps that feel bulldogs are Rhodesians and vice-versa. It's made my head numb from all the justifications, reasons and identification nuances. I think I'll just call it one thing on odd number days, and the other on the evens. Feel free to post "end of story" conclusions so I can gloss over them while I eat oatmeal.

All I know is I have a swell pipe and apparently know good people. Cool (End of story... )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Anonymous Ben Wade   Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:02 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
I know, the famous Monbla passive-aggressive correcting technique. I've been doing some reading and there's some camps that feel bulldogs are Rhodesians and vice-versa. It's made my head numb from all the justifications, reasons and identification nuances. I think I'll just call it one thing on odd number days, and the other on the evens. Feel free to post "end of story" conclusions so I can gloss over them while I eat oatmeal.

All I know is I have a swell pipe and apparently know good people. Cool (End of story... )

What the hell are you talking about? I just called your damn nice pipe what it is, a Rhodesian. Get a life guy !! No ulterior motives or such. Damn! Relax Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Anonymous Ben Wade   Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:22 pm

Dear Anonymous:

This pipe smokes nicely. The draw is perfect, not too open, and far from constricted. I tried some Kendal Plug in it (...was just in the mood...) and it brought out a different animal in the KP...or there's still some Perique ghosts rattling their spicy chains. I did two salt treatments, just in case, but then there's me--I can detect a Perique particle from the next county. No Lakeland, though, so I'm good... Laughing Cool

Cool smoke, feels great in the hand. I just gotta discover with which weed to eventually pair it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Anonymous Ben Wade   Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:57 pm

Great looking pipe Kyle. I'll bet it smokes really good too!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Anonymous Ben Wade   Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:14 pm

Thanks, Rande.

I shoved a little too much KP in there and messed up the draw a little, but I managed. That was my fault. Gotta get to know the new ones and what they like, and how. It forgave me, and I received a hell of a good smoke. Like people, pipes gotta be forgiving of my own nature (until I figure it out), or it doesn't fare well for either. That's how good smokes and good friends are made.

It's still pretty, even if I have to fumble around getting used to it. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Anonymous Ben Wade   Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:53 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Thanks, Rande.

I shoved a little too much KP in there and messed up the draw a little, but I managed. That was my fault. Gotta get to know the new ones and what they like, and how. It forgave me, and I received a hell of a good smoke. Like people, pipes gotta be forgiving of my own nature (until I figure it out), or it doesn't fare well for either. That's how good smokes and good friends are made.

It's still pretty, even if I have to fumble around getting used to it. Laughing

Cool

Kyle, being a Ben Wade I'm guessing that the proportions on this are pretty generous. Much more so than a Pete 999, at least from the perspective of the pic. Am I right?

I don't own nor have seen first hand any Ben Wades, but from what I've read they're known for being big honkers.

In any case, that style is one of my favorites. Kudos to "anonymous" for gifting it to you!

cheers

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Anonymous Ben Wade   Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:33 pm

Nah, it's not massive. It's a little bigger than the Pete 80S I have (which, for an 80S, is rather large)...

Digital Caliper Sez:

Bowl width: 45mm
Bowl height: 44mm
Tobacco Chamber width: 21mm
Tobacco Chamber depth: 33mm

By Imperial ruler:

Overall Length: Just under 5.5in

I've never had a 999, nor held one, so it's hard to compare. I think the photo I took was just a somewhat intrusive close-up. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Anonymous Ben Wade
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1