HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Got my first bottle of scotch.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

Got my first bottle of scotch. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got my first bottle of scotch.   Got my first bottle of scotch. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:41 am

...and for $50 - $70... you get even more options... and don't forget $70 - $100... I mean, it's just money. Laughing

Don't get caught in the price trap, i.keen, although a true sentiment. There's a half dozen extremely tasty single malt scotches out there for around $30. If you're just starting out, they'll be fine. You have plenty of time at your age to save up, try more, and expand your taste for it.

Other sagely advice? Find a beverage place that's doing a scotch tasting and show up... they usually cost about $10 - $20, and you can sample far more whiskeys than you'd be able to on a limited budget. Bring a designated driver...I've gone home more than sauced a few times.

Gee, sounds almost like pipe/tobacco advice...buy what you can afford and enjoy what you like. Razz

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bottle of scotch.   Got my first bottle of scotch. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:44 am

Harlock999 wrote:
OK, picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie 10 on the way home from work (and ran into an old friend at BevMo!).
Wow, smooth!
Fruity, light, perfect for summer.
A nice change up from the Islay peat monsters.

I have a bottle of Glenmorangie 12 that's a little more syrupy, but much the same. I rather like it in the summer! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bottle of scotch.   Got my first bottle of scotch. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:59 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:

Other sagely advice? Find a beverage place that's doing a scotch tasting and show up... they usually cost about $10 - $20, and you can sample far more whiskeys than you'd be able to on a limited budget.
Cool

If you have any good pubs or nicer bar/restaurants in your area...they often do the same thing. Very cost effective way to get a taste of a few different options.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bottle of scotch.   Got my first bottle of scotch. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 12:57 pm

Don't get to go out much. 2 year old keeps me home most the time, don't think there is anything like that close by. May have to take a night out and go to new orleans for something like that. Good to get out every once and a while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bottle of scotch.   Got my first bottle of scotch. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 1:03 pm

i.keenum wrote:
Don't get to go out much. 2 year old keeps me home most the time, don't think there is anything like that close by. May have to take a night out and go to new orleans for something like that. Good to get out every once and a while.

Very good to get out--especially if you got chil'ns. You're still young, you just gotta juggle irresponsibility with the responsibility. Speaking of which, if your kid's two, ask for a booster seat at the bar. They'll understand. Razz

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bottle of scotch.   Got my first bottle of scotch. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 2:18 pm

Ya having a child at twenty wasn't my best choice but I don't regret it. I pay all my bills, watch my kid and live in my own house. I am stubborn but I like the thought that I can support myself in a situation where I can take the easy way out. Need to enjoy my youth more while I have it. lol! Already like an old man as it is.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bottle of scotch.   Got my first bottle of scotch. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 2:19 pm

I'm a young coot, too. Hell, you're probably more of an adult than I am. If that wasn't already apparent. Got my first bottle of scotch. - Page 2 710492

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bottle of scotch.   Got my first bottle of scotch. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 2:44 pm

i.keenum wrote:
Ya having a child at twenty wasn't my best choice but I don't regret it. I pay all my bills, watch my kid and live in my own house. I am stubborn but I like the thought that I can support myself in a situation where I can take the easy way out. Need to enjoy my youth more while I have it. lol! Already like an old man as it is.

Look at it this way, by the time you're my age you'll have the house to yourself. Very Happy

I have 2 little ones, if I had any regrets it's not having kids earlier.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bottle of scotch.   Got my first bottle of scotch. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 3:14 pm

My wife wants more. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bottle of scotch.   Got my first bottle of scotch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 12:56 am

i.keenum wrote:
My wife wants more. Suspect

Good luck winnin' that discussion. Hope you're a family man. If there's one thing I know about women, they get what they want by any means necessary. Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim_Haggerty

Tim_Haggerty

Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bottle of scotch.   Got my first bottle of scotch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 1:47 am

Don't worry about which Scotch to drink too much, it's a journey not a destination. Blended scotches are fine to start with, you'll develop a palate, and as the other posts suggest, there's a world of good single malts to try. It's like getting the hang of pipe smoking with 1Q and then finding out there's a lot more blends out there; nothing wrong with the tuition payments along the way. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bottle of scotch.   Got my first bottle of scotch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 10:11 am

Thanks for the advice Haggerty.

She knows that I enjoy the process just not necessarily ready for the end product, so she's pointed out if she wanted that it wouldn't be too hard for her to accomplish. lol!
Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bottle of scotch.   Got my first bottle of scotch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 10:21 am

i.keenum wrote:

Man, I not far off from where you are. I got married at 22 and had kids two years later. I've been married now for almost 15 years and have kids that I can still keep with Very Happy Kids have WAY too much energy to wait too long in life to have them. There are definitely sacrifices either way. What I learned too late in life is to just be happy in whatever stage of life I'm at and make the absolute best of it.

That doesn't mean you don't still need time to get away every now and then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bottle of scotch.   Got my first bottle of scotch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 12:52 pm

Fortunately, having kids is a choice, not a requirement--scheduled properly, that is. Laughing I will be enjoying this mortal coil very happily without them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bottle of scotch.   Got my first bottle of scotch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 1:02 pm

When your other half shows up with a couple at your house I am gonna giggle.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bottle of scotch.   Got my first bottle of scotch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 1:03 pm

i.keenum wrote:
When your other half shows up with a couple at your house I am gonna giggle.

Won't happen. He's worse with kids than I am, and I won't even let him have a cat. Cool I'm a jerk. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bottle of scotch.   Got my first bottle of scotch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 1:15 pm

Ya she'd adopt every stray if she could
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bottle of scotch.   Got my first bottle of scotch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 1:25 pm

"To love is to stay in control."

Something I've said for years. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Got my first bottle of scotch.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2