Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Growley

Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

New Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 4:41 pm

Hey guys,

I'm posting this in the DIY instead of the Town Crier because it's not for sale. I just wanted to show you all some pictures. This is the first churchwarden I've ever done. I decided I'd keep this one and smoke it. I love a nice long pipe.

The hardest part about these guys (for me) is cutting the stem. There's a lot of room for error on a stem this large. What do you think about this crazy stem? Does you think it works?

Take a look and see what you think.

New Churchwarden IMG3673-L

New Churchwarden IMG3676-L

New Churchwarden IMG3683-L

New Churchwarden IMG3678-L

New Churchwarden IMG3680-L

Thanks for looking.

Brian.
Back to top Go down
http://GrowleyPipes.com
Boulder&Briar

Boulder&Briar

Registration date : 2012-07-04

New Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:07 pm

WOW! That thing is beautiful! I love the color scheme, and that stem is spot on. Nice work man!
It's GOOD cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.boulderandbriar.com
i.keenum

i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

New Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:12 pm

MAKE MORE JUST LIKE THIS ! cheers I really like that just great.
Back to top Go down
http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Ocelot55

Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

New Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:28 pm

Brian, you're gonna hate me because I know long stems are a pain to do, but I think in order for it to be a proper warden the stem needs to be a few inches longer.

On the bright side, she looks like a wonderful pipe. I bet she'll provide years of faithful service. I really like what you did with the extension.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jonespipes.com
Mozjo33

Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

New Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:39 pm

Fantastic work Brian!! The color combo is sick! I love the white stem.
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

New Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:53 pm

Ocelot55 wrote:
...I think in order for it to be a proper warden the stem needs to be a few inches longer.
How 'bout we call it a "Princewarden" and leave it at that? Razz Excellent work, Growley!
Back to top Go down
Fishfuzz

Fishfuzz

Registration date : 2012-05-24

New Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 6:27 pm

As usual, I think your work looks fantastic. Perhaps the Princewarden name fits a little better (unless we are just missing the scale of size).
Back to top Go down
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

Registration date : 2012-02-23

New Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 7:29 pm

I agree! The Color Scheme is fantastic! Gorgeous all around! And you made a new Pipe Shape! Princewarden. I like it!
Zach
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

New Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 8:06 pm

Brian,
The pipes you have shown us have to be some of the FINEST I've enjoyed looking at ! As fantastic as your photo's of them is, I can only imagine what they must be "in situ" Razz I'm not a big fan of the opaque/milky type of acrylics for stems but you have made this one work and work well !! I like Zacks name of "princewarden" for it, it fits ! That's some of the nicest work I've seen !! Thanks for letting us see it Razz
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

New Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 8:34 pm

Fishfuzz wrote:
...Perhaps the Princewarden name fits a little better (unless we are just missing the scale of size).

Ah, yes. That pesky matter of scale. Have we learned nothing from that "tamper" debacle last month? Razz
Back to top Go down
i.keenum

i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

New Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 8:45 pm

Did kyle get the patent on that vibrating flake tamper yet? confused lol!
Back to top Go down
http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Growley

Growley

New Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 9:41 pm

Thanks for the compliments guys. Yea, it's probably not as long as a standard churchwarden. To give you an idea of it's size, the bowl is about the size of a golfball, maybe a bit bigger. The total length is 7". A "normal" churchwarden probably has a bit smaller shank which leads nicely to a longer slimmer stem.

I didn't feel that a longer stem would have carried the bulk of this bowl well, so I decided to try it a bit shorter and stouter. That decision was also more easily made by how much of a pain it is to cut these things, as Ocelot has so aptly point out. This is the second stem this guy has seen. I had about 2 hours of work into the first before it broke on my lathe.

It kind of reminded me of a prince at one point, so maybe a Princewarden is a good name for it. I'm excited to see how it smokes. Maybe I'll take it out tonight.

I'll probably end up making more of these. Now that I've got a good process down they won't be so bad.

Thanks again. I appreciate the support of all my brothers!
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

New Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 11:24 am

That pipe has a lot of "cool!" going on.
The shape, the plateaux rim, the stem...nice!
Back to top Go down
Buckshot

Buckshot

Registration date : 2011-07-17

New Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 12:34 pm

I absolutely love that pipe!! George picked an appropriate name for it,,the Princewarden. I really need one just like it. cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

New Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 12:36 pm

Can I buy it? cheers

I love it! Cool
Back to top Go down
Buckshot

Buckshot

New Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 12:38 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Can I buy it? cheers

I love it! Cool

Quit trying to take cuts, Kyle. Get to the back of the damn line!
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

New Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 12:41 pm

No one else asked...they just stood there agape, staring at it. Laughing "Not for sale," just means "...not yet for sale." Razz

Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

New Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 3:43 pm

You guys crack me up.

Last edited by Growley on Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

New Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 3:49 pm

I'm not gonna cut in line, now that I know it's a hit with the crowd. Laughing

Best way to make something desirable: tell people they can't have it. Cool
Back to top Go down
Buckshot

Buckshot

New Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 4:32 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
I'm not gonna cut in line, now that I know it's a hit with the crowd. Laughing

You're just afraid someone will lay some whupAzz on you. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

New Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 7:58 pm

The proper response:

"Thank you, Kyle, for getting the discussion about actually acquiring the pipe going." Suspect Laughing Cool

Back to top Go down
Buckshot

Buckshot

New Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 9:04 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
The proper response:

"Thank you, Kyle, for getting the discussion about actually acquiring the pipe going." Suspect Laughing Cool

I stand corrected, Sir Kyle...but I am standing ahead of you in line. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

New Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 9:06 pm

Buckshot wrote:
I stand corrected, Sir Kyle...but I am standing ahead of you in line. Twisted Evil

Yeah yeah, keep yer pants on. Laughing This tread caused such a stir I wonder if Growley isn't doing it on purpose. What a PR stunt. cheers

Maybe Growley needs to be the one considered for our BoB Pipe Of The Year maker... Hmmm...

...speaking of stirring things up on purpose... Cool
Back to top Go down
Rusty Mouse

Rusty Mouse

Registration date : 2012-01-10

New Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 10:06 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Buckshot wrote:

Yeah yeah, keep yer pants on. Laughing This tread caused such a stir I wonder if Growley isn't doing it on purpose. What a PR stunt. cheers

Maybe Growley needs to be the one considered for our BoB Pipe Of The Year maker... Hmmm...

...speaking of stirring things up on purpose... Cool

I was thinking the same thing. The BoB pipe, that is...
Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

New Churchwarden Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 11:44 pm

PR stunt....I can't put on an efficient PR stunt until I get my chicken suit back from the dry cleaners and the hole patched in my giant inflatable pig...
Back to top Go down

New Churchwarden
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: