New Churchwarden

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

New Churchwarden - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 1:04 am

...timely comment on July 7th... RIP Syd.
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 10:21 am

New Churchwarden - Page 2 1syd10
Back to top Go down
CygnusXII

CygnusXII

Registration date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 10:02 pm

That is a really nice looking pipe, and the craftsmanship is spot on the money. The colors are nice, and work well together. The stummel / shank transition looks nice and flows well. I am normally not one for any type of white stemwork, but what you have going on there works really well. White with a touch of translucence. It makes me think of frosted glass, which is so much better than just a whitish looking stem.
Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 10:51 pm

CygnusXII wrote:
That is a really nice looking pipe, and the craftsmanship is spot on the money. The colors are nice, and work well together. The stummel / shank transition looks nice and flows well. I am normally not one for any type of white stemwork, but what you have going on there works really well. White with a touch of translucence. It makes me think of frosted glass, which is so much better than just a whitish looking stem.

Thanks. I wish the pics showed the stem better. The acrylic I used on this on is a Mother-of-pearl and however they make it, it has some awesome qualities to it. Sometimes it almost looks like steer horn or polished bone or something.
Back to top Go down
http://GrowleyPipes.com
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 11:40 pm

Out of curiosity, Growley, why do you want to change the stem? Is the bit uncomfortable?
Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 11:55 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Out of curiosity, Growley, why do you want to change the stem? Is the bit uncomfortable?

No, it's just a bit more thin than I typically like to make them. I don't think it would last the long haul. Even though this isn't a clencher pipe, I'm a clencher...and goodness knows I'll try. That's what strong teeth and neck muscles are for! Very Happy

I plan on making another stem even just for myself. I like things to be as perfect as my skills will let me make them...and this one isn't up to my skill level, so if I don't remake it, it will bug me to death.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Well, if it ever goes unloved and unappreciated by you (or whatever brother "adopts" it), let me know. Thin stem or not. I'm not a clencher, so stem thickness is somewhat irrelevant to the smoke, but applicable to the look--and this one's got the look!

Cool
Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 12:08 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Well, if it ever goes unloved and unappreciated by you (or whatever brother "adopts" it), let me know. Thin stem or not. I'm not a clencher, so stem thickness is somewhat irrelevant to the smoke, but applicable to the look--and this one's got the look!

Cool

na na na na na,... she's got the look. Sorry, I grew up in the 90's, and how often do you get to quote Roxette these days?
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 12:12 am

Growley wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:

Cool

na na na na na,... she's got the look. Sorry, I grew up in the 90's, and how often do you get to quote Roxette these days?

I remember being in Middle School and the bus driver being somewhat obsessed with that song. I totally ran it in my head for a moment regarding the pipe, and considered posting a YouTube, but there's been some filthy talk of me going off topic at times (...me??!!?? Good heavens!)... Laughing

...and thank goodness it wasn't "Joyride." Cool
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 12:53 am

Guess I'm showing my age. scratch My mind went straight to Prince and Sheena Easton's "U Got the Look". Cool
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 12:59 am

George Kaplan wrote:
Guess I'm showing my age. scratch My mind went straight to Prince and Sheena Easton's "U Got the Look". Cool

No, those were also under consideration, but Roxette is more obscure. *shrug* You fool, GK, age means nothing in regard to music in the Era of the Internet.
Back to top Go down
gravel

gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 1:06 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
George Kaplan wrote:

No, those were also under consideration, but Roxette is more obscure. *shrug* You fool, GK, age means nothing in regard to music in the Era of the Internet.

I'll split the difference. BOTH songs came to mind.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Dutch

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 1:09 am

Typically I don't like the look of white stemmed pipes, but I usually always love apple or brandy shaped pipes.

This white stem does have a unique look, so whatever Kyle offers you Brian, I will double! geek
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 1:11 am

Dutch wrote:
Typically I don't like the look of white stemmed pipes, but I usually always love apple or brandy shaped pipes.

This white stem does have a unique look, so whatever Kyle offers you Brian, I will double! geek

This is why shill bidding works. lol!

Cool
Back to top Go down
kaiser83

kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 6:22 am

The pipe is stupendous Growley, damn fine work brother. And I have to admit...no songs came to mind. in that light if the pipe goes unloved maybe it should go to the next generation down from Kyle who has a bit more time to show it the pipe love it deserves for longer. Twisted Evil (Age was probably a bad direction to go, but my lack of music knowledge led me there lol)
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: New Churchwarden   New Churchwarden - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 12:48 pm

I can't...get that pipe....right now, so... Embarassed I kind of feel like a jerk. Between one from Todd Harris and discussion of the BoB pipe in the other thread, there's just too much good stuff around here. We should be so spoiled, eh?
Back to top Go down

New Churchwarden
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: