HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Found fabulous cigar shop in Charleston, SC

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MartinH

Registration date : 2011-01-04

PostSubject: Found fabulous cigar shop in Charleston, SC   Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:39 am

Please indulge my idiocy here... <Warning, this is about cigars, not our beloved pipes!>

We just returned from a very hot and humid trip to Charleston. However, while there I had the pleasure of finding Havacigar. It's a little tiny, hole-in-the-wall joint, with the actual address of 54 1/2 Wentworth! I love the 1/2. Smile

But, as I entered through the door which was partially stuck on the door frame, and was difficult to open, the incredible aroma of cigar leaf in the pure accosted my senses. The bouquet was amazing. Now, I'm used to the wondrous variety of pipe tobacco, but I have to say, the aroma of tobacco leaf in such a confined space was simply amazing. To my left was a small counter with all hand-rolled cigars for sale, the proprietor, who happened to be a lady smoking a nice cigar, and the cash register. She was very excited about her cigars and well deservedly so, as I later discovered. To my right sat an old secretary style desk filled with tobacco leaf, a press of sorts and a slender man hunched over a plethora of leaf, rolling cigars by hand. Needless to say, I was in heaving. Only having enjoyed one pipe the previous week, I immediately gave into the overwhelming urge to procure and imbibe said cigar, and purchased a ten dollar stick.

I think the gods in the heavens smiled down on me as I light the beautiful tubular protuberance of tobacco. It was a place I could have spend the rest of the hot, sticky day, but alas I had to join my waiting wife and mother-in-law outside. I left that heavenly place, smoldering cigar tightly clamped in my teeth. The next thirty minutes were sheer bliss, even in the blistering heat. It will probably be a long time until I have such a pleasant cigar experience again. But, alas, havacigar.com does ship!

Smile

Enjoy a nice smoke today!

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pipereviews.org
MartinH

PostSubject: Re: Found fabulous cigar shop in Charleston, SC   Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:54 am

The company website.

http://www.gcaservices.com/
Back to top Go down
MartinH

PostSubject: Re: Found fabulous cigar shop in Charleston, SC   Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:05 am

Picture of secretary with tobacco leaf. I neglected to take a pic of the guy pressing the cigar standing next to the desk.

Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Found fabulous cigar shop in Charleston, SC   Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:23 pm

I wish my desk looked like that.

You're a lucky man, Martin--there's nothing like a fresh-rolled stogie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Found fabulous cigar shop in Charleston, SC   Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:34 pm

Sounds wonderful, I'm sure you'll make a return trip someday to rekindle the fine memories. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Found fabulous cigar shop in Charleston, SC   Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:17 pm

There are still farmers in my CT town who grow tobacco for cigar leaf. We went for a ride after lunch and this year's crop is coming along nicely. I especially enjoy harvest time when they've hung leaf in the barns to dry, the sides are open and there's a nice smell in the air. We don't have cigar shops that nice, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Found fabulous cigar shop in Charleston, SC   Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:22 am

I forgot about that little gem. I am currently down here in charleston on a short trip, and might have to stop by. Lest we not forget the tinder box with club habana upstairs (grandfathered in from the smoking ban) and the smoking lamp on east bay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Found fabulous cigar shop in Charleston, SC
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1