HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

It happened again...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GuitarMyFriend

Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: It happened again...   Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:03 pm

For those of you who haven't read "Show us your uglies". Here's my post.
"Here's my ugly. It's a Dr. Grabow Starfire 20. I was currently bidding on a Dr. Grabow Starfire 21, which is a gorgeous pipe in my opinion. I lost the bid... broke my heart. My girlfriend and I were going antique shopping later that day, and we waltzed into a antique shop and the first thing I saw was this incredibly dirty 20. I started talking to the lady about it, and she "told me" no one could clean that up, and make it smoke-able. So on top of losing a bid, she was questioning my abilities. Ooooh, that got me mad, so I haggled her price down 3 dollars, to make it 3 dollars ha, purchased it, went home, cleaned her up, smoked it, and took it back to the shop while smoking it outside the window for her to see. After I finished the bowl, I took it in and handed it to her. Said, "Looks clean to me", and grabbed it and walked out."

Now just today, My ladyfriend and I went to a antique shop just across the street from the one mentioned above, and I walked in looking for lighters and pipes. The pipes were junk, but I did find a Ronson looking Jap lighter that was OLD. I asked the lady to get it out of the glass case for me to take a look. She handed it to me and asked, "Do you collect antiques?" I said, "I like to take antiques, and make them working antiques. I like to tinker". She grabbed the lighter outta my hand and said, "You can't fix this! It's only a paper weight now". So I purchased it, No haggling needed, it was 4 dollars. Went home, sat in my man chair, took the whole thing apart, cleaned every peice, jammed the powder plug left from a flint out, brushed that out, filled her with fluid and a new flint, BAM! New working old lighter. This time, instead of taking it for the woman to see, and gloat about it... I'm debating on setting her shop on fire with it...

(I love being told I can't.)

Zach

(Funny story).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: It happened again...   Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:33 pm

Zach - I hope you're not serious about burning her shop down. And here I was - holding you in high regards the other day. Man oh man. Sad

lol!

Don't worry, Brother! I know you're just joking about that. Anyway, I think a lot of people are like that - enjoy doing something that others tell them can't be done. Your pipe and now your lighter are fine examples. It's amazing how many things I see at auctions and junk stores that are perfectly useable. Sure, it might not be the newest and fanciest model, but it damn sure works! And you can't beat the price either. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuitarMyFriend

PostSubject: Re: It happened again...   Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:59 pm

Oh Rob,
Of course I'm not going to set her shop on fire... there's some decent antiques in there. I LOVE antique shopping. Besides smoking a pipe, and cooking, and sports, and playing music, it's probably my favorite hobby.
Zach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: It happened again...   Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:30 pm

That's really cool, Zach. I mean, not the arson part, but the lighter repair. I like to refurbish old pipes when I have the time, but I've never tried a lighter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: It happened again...   Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:47 pm

This thread has me thinking that I need to start visiting antique shops for old pipes and accessories.

cyclops

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: It happened again...   Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:51 pm

There's no such thing as cool pipes or lighters at antique stores. (i.e., shhhh, it's a secret, now the Internets will know... Neutral )

Zach, my man, good job. I ought to send you the $4 lighter I picked up, because I couldn't get it working. Probably just needs a gasket, but... *shrug*

Carve that Tinsky block I gave you into something cool and we'll talk. You might just receive a broken lighter to keep. Twisted Evil

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuitarMyFriend

PostSubject: Re: It happened again...   Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:12 pm

Kyle,
I started taking working on it, I was going to make a fancy rusticated poker. I was taking pictures of every step, all the tools used... than I put all of the pictures on my desktop, erased 'em from the memory card, and my computer crashed. Also, I moved away from the wood shop. BUT I have the basic shape down, and I think I can polish it off with high grit sand paper. I just don't have a dremel tool to do any rustication, so I'm thinking on hand carving? Than once I get to that point... (Won't be for a while, I can barely afford to drive to work, I just can't spend moola on other things), I'll be asking you questions left and right, about staining and such. But it'll get done!
Zach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: It happened again...   Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:18 pm

Cool.

You don't need fancy tools to carve a pipe, but the more tools you have make it faster and easier. *shrug* In good time, in good time. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuitarMyFriend

PostSubject: Re: It happened again...   Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:41 pm

I'm a working pal!
Zach
Back to top Go down
View user profile

It happened again...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1