HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What do you use to light your pipe?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
kieveryuu

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to light your pipe?   Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:16 pm

asmoke wrote:
Been using a jetline lately, with Xicar fuel. Love that fuel, but I swear that lighter has a mind of its own. Took me two months to finally be able to fill it properly. Wish I could blame the mfg but that would not be fair. Mostly ineptitude I think....

I too have a Jetline which I use (and with a similar issue).

Additionally I have a couple Bics around and sometimes I use matches, however, the lighter I have come to rely on is this Yibao http://www.wzyibao.com/en/en_yb9818b.htm It is a great little lighter which I refill with Xicar fuel, which provides a about two+ weeks of flame for me. Better than the Jetline, not quite as good as Bic, but makes up for any short coming in looking like a small oldboy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://type29a.com
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to light your pipe?   Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:52 am

Indoors, matches. Always.
Outdoors, matches when possible...when they're not (which is most of the time), I use a no-muss, no-fuss BIC
Back to top Go down
View user profile
awoodby

Registration date : 2012-09-13

PostSubject: Jobon pipe lighter   Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:38 pm

This thing was a "what the heck" ebay purchase straight from the exotic orient (china ack)

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/JOBON-cigarette-pipe-butane-lighter-with-pipe-tools-/04/!BvLzg2wBGk~$%28KGrHqYOKiIEvP!U!IcrBMDf8,q++Q~~_35.JPG

Jobon pipe lighter. Not real sure how to fill it properly, seem to get a lot of leakage/spray. The tools are functional, it lights so long as their's no wind or fast movement lol.

Not sure how I feel about it thus far. At $10 I can't complain much, every time I decide it's awesome and I love it, it gets tempermental on starting lol.

I Wish I could pay 5x as much for one with better quality control!

--Alex
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to light your pipe?   Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:26 pm

Matches... unless in the wind where I can't keep them lit, then a Bic.

That question just came up on G.L.Pease's

Ask G.L.Pease column the other day... here's what he said.

Quote :
Tony queries: Of course theres always somebody asking questions about using matches as opposed to lighters and the fact that some things ignite the pipe tobacco at a lower temperature. Ok, matches win that one hands down and butane lighters, while not as nasty as a torch which in my opinion has no good use in a pipesters paraphernalia, ignite a bit hotter. My question is, what is your take on Zippo pipe lighters; the ones with the hole in the side of it so that it pretty much hits the center of the tobacco in the bowl? Does it ignite hotter or is it just that one has to accept the taste of the fuel momentarily?

A: I like matches for a variety of reasons. Yes, the temperature is significantly lower than that of a butane lighter, but more importantly, its possible to use them with greater care and control. When lighting tobacco, a delicate flame is a must for improved flavour and decreased harshness. Teasing the flame over the surface with very gentle puffing is the best way to heat the leaf, and coax the pipe to almost light itself, as one would do with a fine cigar.

The biggest problem I have with Zippo-type lighters is the taste of the fuel, which taints the tobacco, and to me, that taint remains throughout the bowl. Whether or not this matters is, I suspect, largely a matter of personal taste, but for me, its just not worth it. I dont use lighter fuel in my BBQ, either.

Besides, were pipe smokers. We need to cling tenaciously to our traditional, anachronistic ways, and these new-fangled gimcracks have no more place in our kits than velcro-fastened spats or clip-on bow ties. Matches rule.

I agree with him, matches rule!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to light your pipe?   Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:03 pm

Given to me by a good friend, I have been using the IMCO Triplex and Junior lighters lately. Why? Their design is unique. They're cheap. They're solid.

They seem to not impart the nasty "fuel taste" nearly as much as a Zippo, as the wick surface is far more subdued. They eat flints like crazy, though.

They also hold onto fuel in the dryness of my area about three times as long as a Zippo, which was always a problem for me.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TonyS

Registration date : 2012-09-12

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to light your pipe?   Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:37 pm

I modified my standard Zippo into a Zippo pipe lighter. Gave me an excuse to use my mill, though I could have done it on the drill press. The mill already has the vise and had the 3/8" end mill in it already so... I use the newer Zippo fluid. Works like a charm and I don't notice any of the old lighter fluid taste or smell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pipelighters

Registration date : 2012-10-16

PostSubject: What do use to light your pipe   Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:40 am

IMCO G77R
It lights first or second try every time and fits easily into my pipe/tobacco pouch

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr. Doody

Registration date : 2012-04-14

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to light your pipe?   Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:24 pm

i light my baccy with my heat vision, like all my brothers from krypton.

and if my eyes are tired i have a tsubota pearl lighter i'm in love with.

doody.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to light your pipe?   Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:59 pm

2 in matches if im inside or its not windy, on a blustery day, i flick my bic!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wayne_Teipen

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to light your pipe?   Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:07 pm

I typically prefer matches but just recently purchased a Sillems Corona Old Boy Year of the Dragon lighter in royal blue. I splurged and intend on getting it engraved and passing it down as an heirloom to my son some day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://teipenpipes.com
SPUD 15

Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to light your pipe?   Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:42 am

OLD BOY, MAGIE, ZIPPO, MATCHES. mike
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tech2576

Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to light your pipe?   Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:45 pm

Anything hot enough to make smoke. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bud Savoie

Registration date : 2013-02-03

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to light your pipe?   Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:42 am

Wooden matches. Never met a lighter I could stand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to light your pipe?   Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:13 pm

I have 2 Zippo's & 1 Xikar Res. but the lighter i use the most is a $6.00 Bentley Pipe Lighter. Was so impressed with it's performance i that i thought i'd buy an extra figuring that for 6 bucks it can't last forever but can't find them anymore. Apparently they were made illegally in Canada as they are not child proof.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Northern Neil

Registration date : 2012-12-27

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to light your pipe?   Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:33 pm

I stick to matches when possible. When not, I find a Bic works just fine. Might not have the nice directional flame of the more expesive options, but still provides fire when required.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
63rdOVI

Registration date : 2013-11-09

PostSubject: Re: What do you use to light your pipe?   Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:25 pm

I like to use wooden matches (Swan Vestas or Dunhill-style) but have found myself using my pipe Zippos more frequently. I never taste the fuel and, with normal maintenance and daily refills, the damned things light all the time. Plus, no match sticks to throw away...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What do you use to light your pipe?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2