On-going Restoration Projects

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

On-going Restoration Projects Empty
PostSubject: On-going Restoration Projects   On-going Restoration Projects EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 1:28 pm

Woodworking has been an off-and-on hobby of mine ever since my dad gave me a set of scaled-down carpenter's tools for my fourth birthday. It's only natural, then, that I'd find some overlap with pipe collecting. Although I've never crafted a pipe from the block up, I've refurbished quite a few. Before joining this forum I didn't photograph any, so when I posted THIS thread some time ago:
http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t17291p15-can-this-one-be-salvaged
it was no surprise that everyone said it was impossible. (Everyone but Riff Raff. Thanks, bro. Wink ) While I didn't wind up with that particular Pete, I've managed to bring some life back to some pretty hopeless briars. I like a challenge, and nothing's more satisfying than finding something for five or ten dollars on Ebay that no one else wants, and seeing what I can do with it.

I thought I'd start this thread to share some of these pieces as I get to them. I've got one really nasty one (pics at the bottom of the thread linked above) that I'll post step-by-step photos of, but that one will have to wait. There are a few in line before it.

To start things off, here's one I just finished this week.
It's a Chippendale, which I am given to understand is a Ben Wade second, although I've had some trouble verifying that claim. For the pittance I paid, I don't really care.

Before...

On-going Restoration Projects 00112

And after

On-going Restoration Projects 000210

More pics coming soon!

Last edited by George Kaplan on Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: On-going Restoration Projects   On-going Restoration Projects EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 1:45 pm

From--

On-going Restoration Projects Old-man-hates-justin-bieber

Becomes--

On-going Restoration Projects 0831_ben_chippendale-1

Laughing

Nice one, GK

Cool
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: On-going Restoration Projects   On-going Restoration Projects EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 2:05 pm

More pics of "Chip".

Gunked up bowl, but luckily no real damage:

On-going Restoration Projects 00612

Most of the larger fills were around the center of the bowl, so the rustication pattern was decided for me:

On-going Restoration Projects 00710

There were more dents and scratches than visible here, but you can get an idea of how beat up this pipe was:

On-going Restoration Projects 00911

But you'd never know it now:

On-going Restoration Projects 01010

On-going Restoration Projects 01312

On-going Restoration Projects 01410

On-going Restoration Projects 02010

On-going Restoration Projects 02110

Here's some detail of the rustication I added:

On-going Restoration Projects 03910

On-going Restoration Projects 04011

Also, just to make my life more difficult, I thought I'd reshape the stem. Now, instead of of slightly tapering from the saddle to the bit, the taper runs the other way, suggesting an army mount. Also, the "saddle" portion has been "faceted" to taper from square to octagonal:

On-going Restoration Projects 04310

On-going Restoration Projects 04210
Back to top Go down
Irish Mike

Irish Mike

Registration date : 2012-04-12

PostSubject: Re: On-going Restoration Projects   On-going Restoration Projects EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 2:13 pm

Absolutely beautiful work George! You sir are very talented. How did you do the eye catching rustication?

Last edited by Irish Mike on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: On-going Restoration Projects   On-going Restoration Projects EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 2:34 pm

George,
That isone really great peice of work you have done with that one Razz I really like the faceting you did with the stem. It all looks as if it was originally designed to be that way ! Keep it up cheers
Back to top Go down
J Soshae

J Soshae

Registration date : 2011-08-19

PostSubject: Re: On-going Restoration Projects   On-going Restoration Projects EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 2:50 pm

Wow! You did a really nice job.

As long as you are on a roll, can you spin straw into gold Rumpelstiltskin?
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: On-going Restoration Projects   On-going Restoration Projects EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 2:59 pm

I especially dig the re-worked stem. Bold move, but you pulled it off. Cool
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: On-going Restoration Projects   On-going Restoration Projects EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 3:45 pm

Great refurb! I think the rustication really suits it. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.dshpipes.com
Dutch

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: On-going Restoration Projects   On-going Restoration Projects EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 3:47 pm

Wow George I am fascinated by your restoration and ideas on how to overcome several obstacles. cheers cheers cheers

I have always favored rustication for flaws in briar, and can't stand putty fills unless they are covered by a nice piece of leather.

I am tempted to send you 3 or 4 pipes for restoration, cheating myself out of the pleasure in the process. lol
Back to top Go down
ejames

ejames

Registration date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: On-going Restoration Projects   On-going Restoration Projects EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 3:51 pm

Much better looking! Nice work!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ozarksouthpawpipes.com/index.html
Buckshot

Buckshot

Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: On-going Restoration Projects   On-going Restoration Projects EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 5:30 pm

Wow, George. That really is nice work. And now it is a beautiful pipe. cheers Congratulations!!
Back to top Go down
flytyer

flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: On-going Restoration Projects   On-going Restoration Projects EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 6:07 pm

George, I expected to see the same old cleaned up and buffed refurb pics, you redesigned a better pipe altogether very nice work.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: On-going Restoration Projects   On-going Restoration Projects EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 8:16 pm

Wood stud.

cheers cheers cheers

On-going Restoration Projects D6bddf10On-going Restoration Projects 29400910On-going Restoration Projects 114e6110On-going Restoration Projects Ddb39b10On-going Restoration Projects Cf77ce10On-going Restoration Projects Dd692012On-going Restoration Projects Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: On-going Restoration Projects   On-going Restoration Projects EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 10:47 pm

Thank you for the compliments, gentlemen. It may interest you to know that I smoked some Marlin Flake in this last night and it's never tasted better. Probably my imagination, but so much of pipe smoking is just that, isn't it? Wink
Back to top Go down
Fishfuzz

Fishfuzz

Registration date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: On-going Restoration Projects   On-going Restoration Projects EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 11:48 pm

Brilliant work George!
Back to top Go down
gravel

gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: On-going Restoration Projects   On-going Restoration Projects EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 12:00 am

That is nice! cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
kaiser83

kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: On-going Restoration Projects   On-going Restoration Projects EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 8:27 am

I think it looked better before the resto. I'm kidding, it looks awesome George, darn fine job you did on it. Quite the talent you have there my friend.
Back to top Go down
ruraldean

ruraldean

Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: On-going Restoration Projects   On-going Restoration Projects EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 8:43 am

George that's a pipe I'd buy! Beautifully redesigned. And this is a real compliment because I usually don't like pipes which are a mix of smooth and rusticated. Stunning!
Back to top Go down
http://crimsonleaf.co.uk http://paulanthonydean.wordpress.com
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: On-going Restoration Projects   On-going Restoration Projects EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 12:56 pm

Irish Mike wrote:
...How did you do the eye catching rustication?

Dremel, dremel, and dremel. Several passes with gradually smaller bits. I think I used 7 in all.
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: On-going Restoration Projects   On-going Restoration Projects EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 1:00 pm

Dutch wrote:
I have always favored rustication for flaws in briar, and can't stand putty fills unless they are covered by a nice piece of leather.

I couldn't agree more. Although I favor a nice sand blast over most rustication, I'm not equipped to do that myself.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: On-going Restoration Projects   On-going Restoration Projects EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 1:03 pm

GK, you know restoration eventually leads to actual pipe making, don't you? Cool
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: On-going Restoration Projects   On-going Restoration Projects EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 1:05 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
I especially dig the re-worked stem. Bold move, but you pulled it off. Cool

Thank you, Kyle. If you look at the very first pic you can see the stem had a slight horizontal bulge right where the saddle "breaks". It was more noticeable after the rustication emphasized the straight line of the shank, and was bugging the hell out me. I just had to do something about it.
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: On-going Restoration Projects   On-going Restoration Projects EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 1:06 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
GK, you know restoration eventually leads to actual pipe making, don't you? Cool

Yes, I fear that inevitable day. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: On-going Restoration Projects   On-going Restoration Projects EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 1:17 pm

ruraldean wrote:
...And this is a real compliment because I usually don't like pipes which are a mix of smooth and rusticated. Stunning!

Thank you, sir. I know what you mean. A lot of partial rustication looks like it was just done to cover the flaws, without regard to the overall shape of the pipe. I try to find ways to compliment the carver's lines.
Back to top Go down
GrampaGrossbart

GrampaGrossbart

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: On-going Restoration Projects   On-going Restoration Projects EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 4:18 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
ruraldean wrote:
...And this is a real compliment because I usually don't like pipes which are a mix of smooth and rusticated. Stunning!

Thank you, sir. I know what you mean. A lot of partial rustication looks like it was just done to cover the flaws, without regard to the overall shape of the pipe. I try to find ways to compliment the carver's lines.

Wow! You really did hit it out of the park--as one who very much favors partial rustication, when done right, I must say this is one hell of an impressive makeover!
Back to top Go down

On-going Restoration Projects
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: