HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Drilling assistance - to do or not to do

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ArleighBerg

avatar

Age : 49
Location : NW Minnesota
Registration date : 2012-03-27

PostSubject: Drilling assistance - to do or not to do   Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:19 pm

I just bought a nice Ben Wade rusticated bent bulldog. It feels great and smokes great. However, being the relative newbie I am, I didn't think of checking with a pipe cleaner before buying at a shop. Because of the bent, the drilling on the mortise of the shank sits a little higher than and out of line of the center hole of the stem tenon. Is ther any reason I shouldn't drill out the mortise with a small hole that aligns with the stem better?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

avatar

Age : 72
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Drilling assistance - to do or not to do   Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:58 pm

ArleighBerg wrote:
I just bought a nice Ben Wade rusticated bent bulldog. It feels great and smokes great. However, being the relative newbie I am, I didn't think of checking with a pipe cleaner before buying at a shop. Because of the bent, the drilling on the mortise of the shank sits a little higher than and out of line of the center hole of the stem tenon. Is ther any reason I shouldn't drill out the mortise with a small hole that aligns with the stem better?

That's not all that unusual for a bent bulldog ( or many other 1/4 to full bent pipes ) . Many of mine do that and all I do is put a small kink at the end of the clnr that is going into the stem and work it around till it clears and push it home. If the pipe smokes well, has a good draw and was mine I wouldn't do anything to it. "If it 'aint broke, don't fix it" Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shootist51



Location : Indianapolis, Indiana
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Drilling assistance - to do or not to do   Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:44 pm

monbla256 wrote:
ArleighBerg wrote:
I just bought a nice Ben Wade rusticated bent bulldog. It feels great and smokes great. However, being the relative newbie I am, I didn't think of checking with a pipe cleaner before buying at a shop. Because of the bent, the drilling on the mortise of the shank sits a little higher than and out of line of the center hole of the stem tenon. Is ther any reason I shouldn't drill out the mortise with a small hole that aligns with the stem better?

That's not all that unusual for a bent bulldog ( or many other 1/4 to full bent pipes ) . Many of mine do that and all I do is put a small kink at the end of the clnr that is going into the stem and work it around till it clears and push it home. If the pipe smokes well, has a good draw and was mine I wouldn't do anything to it. "If it 'aint broke, don't fix it" Razz


What he said!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
asmoke

avatar

Location : I am in the basement, but I have a window
Registration date : 2011-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Drilling assistance - to do or not to do   Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:52 pm

Don't go drilling unless you are trying to solve a specific problem. Drilling can end in tears... and that's just awkward for everybody Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.andrewstaplespipes.com
dshpipes

avatar

Age : 34
Location : Durham, NC
Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Drilling assistance - to do or not to do   Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:46 pm

asmoke wrote:
Don't go drilling unless you are trying to solve a specific problem. Drilling can end in tears... and that's just awkward for everybody Smile

I'll second that. What I think is much safer and just as likely to give you a positive result would be to ramp the airway in the shank so that it matches up more accurately with the airway in the stem. You can do this easily with some cheap needle files.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Dutch

avatar

Age : 53
Location : On the road.......
Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Drilling assistance - to do or not to do   Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:51 pm

The only thing worse than drilling out a pipe and screwing it up, is contemplating suicide because you have done so. No
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckshot

avatar

Age : 71
Location : Southeast Michigan
Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Drilling assistance - to do or not to do   Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:09 pm

Have you tried rotating the pipe cleaner as you feed it through? I have several pipes that restrict the cleaner until I rotate the cleaner, and then it continues on through to the bowl. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

avatar

Location : Reno, NV
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Drilling assistance - to do or not to do   Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:31 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:
You can do this easily with some cheap needle files.

Buckshot wrote:
I have several pipes that restrict the cleaner until I rotate the cleaner, and then it continues on through to the bowl.

These. I've done both. Messing with drills is begging for disaster--a pipe version of removing the fly from you arm with a hammer.

Try the files if you insist on mucking with the airway, on one particular pipe I managed to smooth down the edge the pipe cleaner was catching on just enough that just a little bend and a wiggle of the pipe cleaner was all it took to get from button to bowl.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Drilling assistance - to do or not to do
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Drilling into a Fault...

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: