HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Just finished my first pipe: A cutty

Go down 
AuthorMessage
tomchuk

Registration date : 2012-05-07

Just finished my first pipe: A cutty Empty
PostSubject: Just finished my first pipe: A cutty   Just finished my first pipe: A cutty EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 11:23 pm

Well, a cutty with a couple twists. The profile is inspired from Stanwell's 1992 PoTY. It's got a bit of squatness and a healthy oval shank (inspired by my Castello #33) and a contrast stain inspired by Tom Eltang (though not executed to even remotely his level).

Here she is:

Just finished my first pipe: A cutty PSJHo

Just finished my first pipe: A cutty MY204

I've still got a little buffing to do on the stem, but I'll probably have my first bowl out of 'er tomorrow.

Sorry, the grain is showing up a little bloby - it;s out of focus due to shallow depth of field. I worked on it well into darkness tonight, and didn't want to wait for better light to photograph it. Though I will take more pictures once the sun comes out.

More info and in-progress pics on my blog. Oh, and I should also mention, besides Mark Tinsky drilling the bowl and airway, not a single power tool had a hand in making this pipe - I've got the blisters and calluses to prove it.

Last edited by tomchuk on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ocelot55

Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first pipe: A cutty   Just finished my first pipe: A cutty EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 11:50 pm

That's a sharp looking pipe. You should be proud of that one. It looks a lot better than my first pipe.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jonespipes.com
tomchuk

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first pipe: A cutty   Just finished my first pipe: A cutty EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 12:17 am

Ocelot55 wrote:
That's a sharp looking pipe. You should be proud of that one. It looks a lot better than my first pipe.

Thank you! I've admired your work as long as I've been on BoB, your compliments mean a lot to a newbie like me Smile Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Ocelot55

Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first pipe: A cutty   Just finished my first pipe: A cutty EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 12:19 am

tomchuk wrote:
Ocelot55 wrote:

Thank you! I've admired your work as long as I've been on BoB, your compliments mean a lot to a newbie like me Smile Cheers!

Hey, I'm a newbie too. Don't admire too closely. There are much better makers than me on this forum. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.jonespipes.com
kieveryuu

kieveryuu

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first pipe: A cutty   Just finished my first pipe: A cutty EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 2:39 am

I like it. The cutty shape has really grown on me of late and your execution is nice.
Back to top Go down
http://type29a.com
Dutch

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first pipe: A cutty   Just finished my first pipe: A cutty EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 4:20 am

Tom, that is a great looking pipe, and certainly one to be proud of on your first attempt. I love cutty shapes, and the history and romance behind them. Congrats! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
taharris

taharris

Registration date : 2011-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first pipe: A cutty   Just finished my first pipe: A cutty EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 5:00 am

That is a very nice first pipe!

The Cutty is a difficult shape. Congrats.

Todd
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/taharris/turningsbytodd
dshpipes

dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first pipe: A cutty   Just finished my first pipe: A cutty EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:01 am

Hey, not bad! It's got a great profile, the shank/stem junction looks clean, and your contrast stain isn't bad at all. For a first pipe, you should be very pleased.

Now go make another! Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.dshpipes.com
dshpipes

dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first pipe: A cutty   Just finished my first pipe: A cutty EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:04 am

Very nice job on the hand cut stem, BTW. Don't turn back! I'm still using Guidicci preforms and am itching to move to ebonite rod stock.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dshpipes.com
tomchuk

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first pipe: A cutty   Just finished my first pipe: A cutty EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:27 am

UberHuberMan wrote:
Very nice job on the hand cut stem, BTW. Don't turn back! I'm still using Guidicci preforms and am itching to move to ebonite rod stock.

Thanks! I was actually dreading it, but it turned out to not be as bad as I was expecting.
Back to top Go down
Growley

Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first pipe: A cutty   Just finished my first pipe: A cutty EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 1:19 pm

That's a great pipe! Much better than my first. You avoided a lot of newbie mistakes. You've definitely got an eye and a skill for it. Keep it up!

Brian.
Back to top Go down
http://GrowleyPipes.com
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first pipe: A cutty   Just finished my first pipe: A cutty EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 7:30 pm

If that's your FIRST pipe I look forward to seeing some more Razz The proportions of bowl/stem/bit are really GREAT ! You have a very good eye for proportion and design. Keep at it Razz Laughing
Back to top Go down
Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first pipe: A cutty   Just finished my first pipe: A cutty EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 7:44 pm

Very nice! Can't wait to see future work.
Back to top Go down
ejames

ejames

Registration date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first pipe: A cutty   Just finished my first pipe: A cutty EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 11:42 pm

Nice work! Really like the shape!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ozarksouthpawpipes.com/index.html
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first pipe: A cutty   Just finished my first pipe: A cutty EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 12:20 am

Excellent job on a difficult shape! I can't wsit to see more of your work.

Jim
Back to top Go down
tomchuk

PostSubject: Re: Just finished my first pipe: A cutty   Just finished my first pipe: A cutty EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 1:01 am

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. I'm going to take a couple weeks off to let the holes the rasp wore through my palms heal up. In the meantime, can any of BoB's illustrious pipe makers point be at a good source for briar? I feel like buying blocks from a pipe maker guarantees you're getting what that maker thought unsuitable to put their name on. I've checked out Romeo Briar, but I'm not sure I'm ready to drop $300 on 10 blocks. Is there something in between? Cheers
Back to top Go down

Just finished my first pipe: A cutty
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: