HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Howdy from Seattle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
flatchaw

Registration date : 2012-07-28

PostSubject: Howdy from Seattle   Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:19 pm

Hiya, folks. Been smoking pipes off and on for 25+ years. Started on vanilla aromatics, which sustained me for several years. Moved away from the sweet and started sampling the 'hard stuff', Nightcap, Penzance, and Margate. Became involved with cigars (but in a nice way), briefly attempted Virginia flakes, and eventually settled on assorted Gawith Hoggarth & Co blends, particularly Dark Birds Eye, Sliced Black Irish X, and Bosun Cut Plug. Off-and-on member of the Seattle Pipe Club, when I remember to send in my dues, that is, since its inception.

My principal hobby is black and white photography followed by wet printing in the darkroom. Vying for second place are pipes and reading, which is handy, as I usually do them simultaneously. My favorite drink is Belgian ale, or a nice peaty single malt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Seattle   Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:53 pm

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Soshae

Registration date : 2011-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Seattle   Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:36 am

Good to have you! We would love to see any photographs of the Folk Life Festival. That place was quite the event.

Myself and the boys.

Some of the sights.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Seattle   Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:43 am

Welcome! It's wonderful to have you here

Dark Birdseye is some good stuff! I like to imagine it being most similar to the type of tobacco a gentleman might have enjoyed 100+ years ago... Equally suited to fireside pontification as it is to the hunting trail or fishing schooner

And it doesn't get much better than Belgian ale and Islay malts! cheers drunken
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Seattle   Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:33 am

Welcome to the BoB forums Fred! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scot's

Registration date : 2012-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Seattle   Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:41 am

Welcome fellow Seattlite. Love those types of tobacco's myself, must be the weather eh?

Scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Seattle   Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:11 am

Welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy your time here

"T"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Seattle   Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:47 am

Hey Fred. Welcome from another local W. Washingtonian.

Enjoy your time here.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Seattle   Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:20 pm

Welcome from north of California!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Buckshot

Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Seattle   Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:22 pm

Welcome to the Brotherhood!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Seattle   Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:34 pm

Welcome aboard, Fred.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Seattle   Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:01 pm

Fred, Welcome to the BoB.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
abdthi

Registration date : 2012-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Seattle   Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:05 pm

I recently moved to Seattle, and wondered if you know any good tobacconist shops?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ejames

Registration date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Seattle   Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:44 pm

Welcome Fred !
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ozarksouthpawpipes.com/index.html
Scot's

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Seattle   Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:40 pm

abdthi wrote:
I recently moved to Seattle, and wondered if you know any good tobacconist shops?

Um... No.

There is the last Tinderbox in the area near Tacoma Mall with OK prices on the bulk but the tins are outrageously priced, $25 + for 50g when they have them. There is Rain City Cigar in Georgetown but all they have is Saseni tins and Altadis bulks, but they occasionally have some great pipes and they're really friendly. There's a couple of locations of Kirsten but the last time I visited the Fisherman's Wharf location, they were out of almost everything and what they did have was way overpriced... $10 to $15 an oz for bulk and they have seemed to stop making their pipes. I haven't been to the one downtown so you may find something different there. Other than that the only other I know is Lil Brown in Yakima... 4 to 5 hours round trip but it maybe worth it, average tin price is $7.

Rich's in downtown Portland, which if you can miss the traffic you can probably do in 5 hours round trip. Before you get to Portland there's a Paul's on Jantzen Beach, (just across the border), they always treated me well.

This is a very poor area for any kind of smoker I'm sorry to say Sad

Scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flatchaw

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Seattle   Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:41 am

abdthi wrote:

I second Scot's comments. The Greater Seattle area sucks where viable pipe shops are concerned.

The one exception is (was?) the Tobacco Patch in Kirkland; I haven't been there in several years, so I can't say what it's like today... I see an excursion to Kirkland in my near future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scot's

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Seattle   Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:34 am

flatchaw wrote:
I second Scot's comments. The Greater Seattle area sucks where viable pipe shops are concerned.

The one exception is (was?) the Tobacco Patch in Kirkland; I haven't been there in several years, so I can't say what it's like today... I see an excursion to Kirkland in my near future.

This is one that I've not heard of... I checked and the website no longer exists, called the phone number and someone answered but I have no idea if it's a specialty shop with glass implements of smoking pleasure that us pipe smokers can't live without... nudge, nudge.

Um, yeah, guess I'll check it out next time I'm over there too.

Scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flatchaw

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Seattle   Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:21 am

Well... I have no idea if they stock water pipes and other such smoking apparatus... but the last time I was in there they had some lovely Sav Autographs. I think they're primarily a cigar store. Dang it, I gotta get over there this next week!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GrampaGrossbart

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Seattle   Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:26 pm

Welcome, Flatchaw!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flatchaw

PostSubject: Finally made it to the Tobacco Patch   Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:37 pm

The Tobacco Patch in Kirkland is primarily a cigar store with pipe stuff. The place is much smaller than I remember from 6-8 years ago; they seem to have lost about 2/3 of their former floor space. I saw no sign of 'alternative non-tobacco' smoking gear. (There is such a place just around the corner though, with lots of shiny hookas on display; I didn't go in.)

They have mostly mid-range pipes, Mastro de Paja, Peterson, WO Larson, etc. They do have some Autographs and Castellos if you have money to burn. Their tobacco selection is pretty pedestrian, from MacBaren to ... uh... I don't remember what else!

Not a bad place, in a lovely part of town (tons of restaurants and lots of pleasant strolling), but a far cry from what pipe shops used to be before we got slammed by the 125% tobacco tax here.

There was also, at one time, a Tobacco Patch at the Pike Place Market. I haven't been there in years, so no idea if it's still there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scot's

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Seattle   Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:14 pm

Thanks Fred, I still haven't made it over there yet... Sounds a lot like Rain City Cigar in Georgetown although they only carry Altadis/Sutliff tobacco.

Scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Seattle   Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:00 pm

flatchaw wrote:
The Tobacco Patch in Kirkland is primarily a cigar store with pipe stuff. The place is much smaller than I remember from 6-8 years ago; they seem to have lost about 2/3 of their former floor space. I saw no sign of 'alternative non-tobacco' smoking gear. (There is such a place just around the corner though, with lots of shiny hookas on display; I didn't go in.)

They have mostly mid-range pipes, Mastro de Paja, Peterson, WO Larson, etc. They do have some Autographs and Castellos if you have money to burn. Their tobacco selection is pretty pedestrian, from MacBaren to ... uh... I don't remember what else!

Not a bad place, in a lovely part of town (tons of restaurants and lots of pleasant strolling), but a far cry from what pipe shops used to be before we got slammed by the 125% tobacco tax here.

There was also, at one time, a Tobacco Patch at the Pike Place Market. I haven't been there in years, so no idea if it's still there.

It was there about a year ago. Good selection of tinned 'baccys at twice the internet price and some bulk, couple dozen pipes, and a walk-in humi for cigars.

I didn't buy anything, but probably should have just to help support one of the last tobacconists in Seattle.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Boulder

Registration date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Howdy from Seattle   Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:41 pm

Hello and Welcome to the BoB forum. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Howdy from Seattle
View previous topic View next topic Back to top