HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The great outdoors of Alaska

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brauhausbier

Brauhausbier

Registration date : 2012-07-27

The great outdoors of Alaska Empty
PostSubject: The great outdoors of Alaska   The great outdoors of Alaska EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 12:01 am

I just recently completed an epic 37 day motorcycle tour of Alaska from Oregon. This was my third tour to Alaska via motorcycle since 2001. My partner Dave and I both packed a 4 oz each of tobacco from Rich's Tobacco in Portland, OR. I went through my 4oz's of Alder Street relatively quickly the first 3 weeks and ending up smoking a bit of Dave's stash the last couple of weeks:-) I ended up picking up some Captain Black in Haines for $13. Ouch! Smoking pipe tobacco while living off my motorcycle is my favorite time to smoke good tobacco. On our last day in Alaska before we got onto the ferry in Haines, AK to Bellingham, WA, I had a bad crash. My mate Dave came through and took good care of me and we both got out of Alaska with our bikes and limbs intact.

I introduced my mate Dave to Pipe smoking and picked him up a nice basket pipe at Rich's last summer.

Toward the end of our tour we spent a couple of amazing days out in McCarthy, AK at the southern end of the Wrangel-St. Elias National Park. We were down to our last beer and were determined to chill it down at a small lake at the toe of the Kennicott Glacier outside McCarthy. Best of all it was a fine Belgian Ale from my friend Dr. Fermento in Anchorage

The great outdoors of Alaska IMG2582-XL

We scurried down to the lake at the toe of the glacier while rocks on the other side would periodically drop and create spectacular splashes. Quite amazing!

My mate Dave with his Rich's Basket Special and Bill"s Blend from Rich's Tobacco. Beer ready for chilling in the ice cold lake:thumb

The great outdoors of Alaska IMG2585-XL

A few other shots in McCarthy/Kennicott area

The great outdoors of Alaska IMG2588-XL

The great outdoors of Alaska DSC05595-XL

The great outdoors of Alaska DSC05630-XL

The great outdoors of Alaska DSC05681-XL
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/eric.wager.7
loneredtree

loneredtree

Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: The great outdoors of Alaska   The great outdoors of Alaska EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 1:16 am

Thanks Brau. Those are fantictic pictures of great scenery. Makes me want to go up there. Show some more please!

cheers
Back to top Go down
Brauhausbier

Brauhausbier

PostSubject: Re: The great outdoors of Alaska   The great outdoors of Alaska EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 2:04 am

loneredtree wrote:
Thanks Brau. Those are fantictic pictures of great scenery. Makes me want to go up there. Show some more please!

cheers
Thanks so much IT!

I promise to post up a few more tomorrow.

I took around 1500 photos over 37 days.

If you have never made the trip up north to Alaska it's a must!

The summer in Alaska is like no where else! Cheers! BHB
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: The great outdoors of Alaska   The great outdoors of Alaska EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 12:32 pm

Wow! What a trip! That sounds like an incredible voyage. I'm looking forward to more pics!
Back to top Go down
http://www.dshpipes.com
Brauhausbier

Brauhausbier

PostSubject: Re: The great outdoors of Alaska   The great outdoors of Alaska EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 1:09 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:
Wow! What a trip! That sounds like an incredible voyage. I'm looking forward to more pics!

Thanks for checking out my first thread on BoB!

I'm secretly working on those 30 posts needed for the trading group! Very Happy

I'll get a few more pics up this afternoon hopefully!

I really am enjoying the BoB forum!
Back to top Go down
Fishfuzz

Fishfuzz

Registration date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: The great outdoors of Alaska   The great outdoors of Alaska EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 1:26 pm

Welcome to the group! Pics are fantastic.
Back to top Go down
Brauhausbier

Brauhausbier

PostSubject: Re: The great outdoors of Alaska   The great outdoors of Alaska EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 9:46 pm

Fishfuzz wrote:
Welcome to the group! Pics are fantastic.

Thanks so much Fishfuzz!

I'm going to back up to near the beginning when we left Portland, OR on June 14th.

Our second day we motored up to Prince George, BC, about 750 miles from Portland. I've been part of another forum since 06' dedicated to adventure motorcycling - advrider.com. I found another ADV member named GISDood in Prince George where we all camped for the night. This is also where we picked up my other two friends coming from N. Idaho (Phil and Rob). Another solo rider named Joe from Minnesota was also camped here a day earlier and joined us on the ride north. The scenery started to improve on day three out to Hyder, AK just west off the southern end of the Cassiar Highway in NW BC.

Gisdoods Place in Prince George, BC

The great outdoors of Alaska IMG1487-XL

Bear Glacier on the Road to Hyder, AK off the southern end of the Cassiar.

The great outdoors of Alaska IMG1517-XL

We had some bad rain and elected to stay at the SeaAlaska Inn, in Hyder AK

The great outdoors of Alaska IMG1522-XL

We had some amazing weather the next day and headed north on the Cassiar

The great outdoors of Alaska IMG1505-XL

Phil from Priest Lake, ID on the Cassiar

The great outdoors of Alaska IMG1603-L

The great outdoors of Alaska IMG1606-XL

Me checking out our first bush camp on the tour on the Northern Cassiar

The great outdoors of Alaska IMG1610-XL

I had no idea Phil smoked a pipe, and I think I neglected to ask him what kind a pipe he had and what tobacco. I was so pleased he brought a pipe along!

The great outdoors of Alaska IMG1630-XL

The following day we rode north to Watson Lake, Yukon. One of the most interesting collections up north is the Sign Forrest in Watson Lake. Over 70,000 signs from around the world are posted on poles in a park right off the Alcan Highway. Really amazing stuff!

The great outdoors of Alaska IMG1658-XL

The great outdoors of Alaska IMG1661-XL

The whole gang

The great outdoors of Alaska IMG1663-L
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: The great outdoors of Alaska   The great outdoors of Alaska EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 10:19 am

Great pics. All I can add is that those photos represent what pipe smoking is all about for me. I always smoke outdoors. There's some sort of connectedness I feel when doing so. The better the scenery and the weather, the better the smoke. Camping and pipe smoking are truly kindred spirits.
Back to top Go down
Boulder&Briar

Boulder&Briar

Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: The great outdoors of Alaska   The great outdoors of Alaska EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 10:26 am

Wow! Those are some cool pics. I bet it's very humbling and I bet the pipe is that much more enjoyable with such scenery to ponder upon. Thanks for sharing the experience cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.boulderandbriar.com
Jers

Jers

Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re:The great outdoors of Alaska   The great outdoors of Alaska EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 1:03 pm

Fantastic photographs....and a trip to be envied!

Thanks for sharing

Jers
Back to top Go down
Brauhausbier

Brauhausbier

PostSubject: Re: The great outdoors of Alaska   The great outdoors of Alaska EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 11:08 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Great pics. All I can add is that those photos represent what pipe smoking is all about for me. I always smoke outdoors. There's some sort of connectedness I feel when doing so. The better the scenery and the weather, the better the smoke. Camping and pipe smoking are truly kindred spirits.

Thanks D&B! I absolutely love to smoke tobacco in a pipe when i'm camping, and better yet if there is a campfire! Long tours through amazing landscapes is what I live for!

And thank you too B&B and Jers!

Continuing...

After Watson Lake Yukon we had time to ride south east on the Alcan another 105 miles to the famous Liard Hot Springs in NW BC.

I has previously skipped this side trip on my two previous AK tours, but this was a great Hot Spring to soak the weary bones after a weeks long ride.

Bad rainy weather again..we elect to stay at the Liard Hot Spring Lodge. Basic lodgings but clean and hot water!

The great outdoors of Alaska IMG1666-XL

We crossed the Alcan to the other side and walked the 1/2 mile board walk through a steaming and amazing wet lands fed by the hot spring waters of Liard.

The great outdoors of Alaska IMG1667-XL

Joe from Minnesota
The great outdoors of Alaska IMG1668-XL.

The incredible Liard Hot Springs. This is a huge natural hot spring pool and one of the of the largest I've ever seen. Go here if you ever drive to Alaska via the Alcan.

The great outdoors of Alaska IMG1670-XL

The great outdoors of Alaska IMG1672-XL

The great outdoors of Alaska IMG1671-L
Back to top Go down

The great outdoors of Alaska
Page 1 of 1