HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Nosferatu

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Nosferatu   Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:19 am

By Tewksbury & Co. I haven't been smoking long, but of the blends I've tried, this is my current favourite. Great tasting smoke, I'd highly recommend it and their 'hobbits weed'.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu   Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:46 am

Hobbit's Weed
Tin Description: This is a full-flavored blend with fire-cured Cavendish added for mellowing the robust king of Burley tobaccos. Then we added mild Cherry flavoring and a dash of Vanilla for a semi-sweet, pleasant, slow burning smoke. Our #1 selling blend.
Contents:
Burley
Cavendish
Flavoring:
Cherry
Vanilla
Cut: Ribbon

Nosferatu
Tin Description: The inspiration for this blend comes from the haunting legend of Romania’s most notorious figure, the infamous vampire. And how fitting it is as this "bloody good" English-style tobacco blend teases with a slight hint of anise to give it a one-of-a-kind spiciness. Scary how good this pipe tobacco is.
Contents:
Virginia
Latakia
Cut: Broken Flake

http://www.tewksburycompany.com/

Both blends sound interesting. I bookmarked their page for when they get it back operational. Both have good reviews. Thanks for the suggestions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu   Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:55 am

Not a problem. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else tries or has tried these, I keep wondering if my palate might be off as an inexperienced pipe smoker, or if I'm more into the sweeter smokes as I have a sweet tooth... or maybe if I got lucky and picked some great blends by accident. Its high rating needs corroboration I think!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zjgilbert

Registration date : 2012-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu   Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:19 pm

I too bookmarked the page. Those sound pretty interesting. In your profile you say you like Aromatics. The Nosferatu doesn't sound aromatic at all. How would you say it differs from the aromatics you smoke? I ask because I'm curious if this is a night and day difference from your typically preferred smoke or if it seems to be more in the lines of the weed normally filling your bowl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccoreviews.com/reviewer_detail.cfm?UID=7802
Greyson

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu   Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:53 pm

Well it may be a misunderstanding on my part, I thought from observation/inference that any tobacco that was flavoured in some way was classed as an aromatic? Since I have never had access to their site since I've known about them I didn't really have access to detail of what they were made with, but from the smell and the taste I thought they were flavoured. Maybe its just my mistake in terminology.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zjgilbert

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu   Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:09 pm

Well the Hobbit's Weed is definitely an aromatic. You're right about the "flavoring" bit, as far as I know. Nosferatu on the other hand, is what's called an English blend. These are not aromatics. Latakia and Virginias are common in these blends, although I'm new to them, so there could be a lot more to be said. I made the conversion from aromatics a couple months back.
Back to top Go down
Greyson

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu   Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:37 am

Ok good to know, thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure how reliable the descriptions are on tobaccoreviews.com, but if they are accurate on the blend, does the inclusion of anise (aniseed) in Nosferatu affect whether it is classed as an aromatic, or is that a normal ingredient in blends? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I genuinely don't know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zjgilbert

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu   Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:24 pm

Don't worry man, we all know that some people are still learning, and best of all, we've all gone through the learning stages. I'm still in it. I have not heard of anise, so I couldn't give any input on that. If it's something that the tobacco is coated or cased in, then yes, my understanding is that it would then be an aromatic. It could be a type of tobacco though, which could I guess make it an aromatic, but that's not typically the case. As for Tobaccoreviews.com being reliable or not, they usually give a pretty good inclination of the tobacco. Most new people are too intimidated to write a review, so often times won't on that site (although I kinda wish they would). The reviews are also all user reviews, so you're getting a feel for what the public says about the tobacco, not the marketers.
Back to top Go down
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu   Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:51 pm

Greyson wrote:
Well it may be a misunderstanding on my part, I thought from observation/inference that any tobacco that was flavoured in some way was classed as an aromatic? Since I have never had access to their site since I've known about them I didn't really have access to detail of what they were made with, but from the smell and the taste I thought they were flavoured. Maybe its just my mistake in terminology.

If you have not seen this before here's a good explanation of "aromatics" from Greg Pease :

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Pipe_Tobaccos#Aromatics_VS._Non-Aromatics
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sloppy Joe Hemingway

Registration date : 2012-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu   Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:09 pm

I'm another fan of Hobbit's Weed. I'll have to give Nosferatu a try. Heck, I should order some just for the opportunity to talk to the great folks at Tewksbury. Awesome customer service and they'll happily talk your ear off for a good half hour and you'll never realize the time has gone!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu   Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:47 pm

I have never tried the stuff, or even heard of it, but based on the TR description, I wouldn't be surprised if Nosferatu, was actually a re-branding of Lancer Sclices which is often sold in bulk and marketed by various B&Ms as a house brand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GrampaGrossbart

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu   Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:10 pm

Again, this sounds crazy good to me. I don't usually go in for aros, but might make an exception for a lightly anise-flavored blend (anise is a seed with a mild licorice taste, zjgilbert, and this is the first blend I've ever seen to use it, Greyson)--could pair crazy good with something absinthe-based in the glass. Will keep an eye out for when it becomes available--thanks, Greyson!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu   Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:48 pm

No problem, I'd still be interested to hear what other smokers make of it if anyone managed to get some, to my taste its still the most impressive blend I've tried.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GrampaGrossbart

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu   Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:53 pm

Greyson wrote:
No problem, I'd still be interested to hear what other smokers make of it if anyone managed to get some, to my taste its still the most impressive blend I've tried.

Right, so it turns out I live less than an hour drive from the Tewksbury and Co. store! Had never occurred to me they might be local, but sure enough they are, so myself and a lady friend undertook a reconnaissance mission yesterday evening. Very handsome little shop, with a few comfortable chairs and the ability to buy glasses of several local wines to pair with your cigar or pipe, and a modest but lovely selection of pipes, too.

I went for the Nosferatu, as I've been meaning to try it, and my friend sampled the Hobbit's Weed. The Hobbit's Weed smelled nice, but on the tongue had almost a shisha-like strength of cherry topping, which was a bit much for both myself and the lady--that said, neither of us usually smoke aromatics, so YMMV. It's apparently their best selling blend, and I can see why even though it wasn't my thing--the room note is quite nice, and my friend reported that it burned well, if a little damp.

But this post was about Nosferatu, wasn't it? Just delicious, I thought, and based on that sample bowl I picked up a few ounces for further exploration, as well as a blind buy of their Celtic Blend as a gift for another friend. Whatever anise topping there is on the Nosferatu is quite mild, and perfectly compliments the Lat components. Burned cool despite also being a bit moist, and was reported to have a pleasant, piquant room note by my friend. A real winner, thanks again for putting this on the radar, Greyson!

Last edited by GrampaGrossbart on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GrampaGrossbart

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu   Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:56 pm

Dave_In_Philly wrote:
I have never tried the stuff, or even heard of it, but based on the TR description, I wouldn't be surprised if Nosferatu, was actually a re-branding of Lancer Sclices which is often sold in bulk and marketed by various B&Ms as a house brand.

Now that I've tried Nosferatu, I can confirm that it definitely isn't just a re-named version of Lancer's Slices--I quite liked LS the few times I smoked it, but this is a different beast altogether. The anise gives it a delicate spiciness, not at all a pungent licorice stink like you might fear!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu   Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:28 pm

Superb!

I'm really glad other people enjoy this blend as well, I was afraid I might have been making a big deal about something out of ignorance that most smokers would not touch with a bargepole. I know as long as you enjoy it it shouldn't matter, but still, its nice to be validated!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IndySmoker

Registration date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu   Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:12 pm

Ever since I heard about this their website has been under construction, I'm really looking forward to when this site is back up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu   Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:05 pm

Yeah their site has been down forever... just call them though, they are fine with telephone orders, just don't ask me about getting them to ship overseas. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leftover421

Registration date : 2012-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu   Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:45 am

kaiser83 wrote:

Nosferatu
Tin Description: The inspiration for this blend comes from the haunting legend of Romania’s most notorious figure, the infamous vampire. And how fitting it is as this "bloody good" English-style tobacco blend teases with a slight hint of anise to give it a one-of-a-kind spiciness. Scary how good this pipe tobacco is.
Contents:
Virginia
Latakia
Cut: Broken Flake

Sounds interesting Suspect but I like anise so I may have so find me some of this. Book marked the site as well, thank you brother Exclamation
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Nosferatu
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: What Are You Smoking Right Now?-
Jump to: