HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Pipe smoking effects on health

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking effects on health   Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:52 pm

Oh, there's folks trying to eventually outlaw automobiles, they know getting rid of rolling combustion engines is the first step, and like second-hand smoke, pointing to the tailpipe, or road deaths, or something. These people simply don't like cars, for whatever reason they've chosen.

Kind of like how I don't like cigarette smoke--it's that simple...I just don't like it. I'm not afraid of it. The difference is, I don't want to make cigarettes illegal and ban them. I don't need subversion and trickery to get my way, I just go somewhere else. Kind of like car-haters need a self-sustaining cabin in the woods, incidentally, most of them couldn't handle that. It's too far away from the (smoke-free) espresso places and boutique clothing shops.

Takes all kinds, eh?

Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking effects on health   Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:07 pm

I've heard very scary things about dihydrogen monoxide as well. Do you have any idea how many people are dying a year from it?! Yet no government bans it! Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking effects on health   Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:24 pm

MisterE wrote:
I've heard very scary things about dihydrogen monoxide as well. Do you have any idea how many people are dying a year from it?! Yet no government bans it! Shocked

It's also not commonly known it's the number-one "greenhouse gas." pale Good heavens! Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking effects on health   Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:26 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
MisterE wrote:

It's also not commonly known it's the number-one "greenhouse gas." pale Good heavens! Laughing

Cool

I know Kyle, it's the quiet killer. No
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking effects on health   Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:40 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
MisterE wrote:

Cool

Don't forget...it's also the primary component in all acid rain. Scary stuff. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking effects on health   Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:43 pm

I think it's in my pipes, too--no wonder the Germans are so obsessed with filter pipes. It all makes sense. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gkunkel

Registration date : 2012-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking effects on health   Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:07 pm

... just thought I might add the following:

After 15 years of smoking 2 pipes per day - never directly inhaling and never cigarettes, I was diagnosed with early stage COPD. And while an ECG was being performed, a technician announced that I have smoker's lung!

Whether we intend to inhale or not, some smoke does in fact reach our lungs. Whether or not we develop health problems largely depends on how our bodies react to substances in the air.

If you're over 40 and have smoked or are smoking pipes, you owe it to yourself to have a spirometry test performed. It may reveal lung disease before you experience any symptoms. Although there is no cure for COPD, the earlier it is treated, the better the outcome.

... still is scary though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking effects on health   Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:20 pm

Was your COPD diagnosed purely on the basis you smoked a pipe? I know a guy that worked in a sawmill for 20 years that got COPD. I know of another guy that lives on the east side of a dusty Nevada playa that has COPD. Neither of them smoke, and never have.

Smoke and other foreign objects enter our lungs every day. Pollen. Dust. Particles of man-made, natural and other pollutants. It's an individual basis on how our bodies react to them. Inhaling smoke purposefully probably isn't a good thing.

As I mentioned, I have asthma and allergies. They've both significantly improved, even reducing the amount of medications I take (steroids and liver-threatening substances), and my quality of life is now better. It goes against all logic. If I develop problems down the road, that means I had X-number of years to live well until then. That, and I already had problems--which are now diminished.

People are not like a mechanical object, while we're all very similar, our genes, chemistry and functions differ ever so slightly. We can't all live in hermetically-sealed environments just to live life. We all deteriorate eventually, some faster than others, some with an obvious "smoking gun" and others that bewilder the status quo. I am sorry to hear about your COPD--I can relate. As also was mentioned, living is the number-one cause of death. It's the quality of life that makes it matter--one person's solution is not the salvation of another.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gkunkel

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking effects on health   Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:38 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Was your COPD diagnosed purely on the basis you smoked a pipe? I know a guy that worked in a sawmill for 20 years that got COPD. I know of another guy that lives on the east side of a dusty Nevada playa that has COPD. Neither of them smoke, and never have.

Smoke and other foreign objects enter our lungs every day. Pollen. Dust. Particles of man-made, natural and other pollutants. It's an individual basis on how our bodies react to them. Inhaling smoke purposefully probably isn't a good thing.

As I mentioned, I have asthma and allergies. They've both significantly improved, even reducing the amount of medications I take (steroids and liver-threatening substances), and my quality of life is now better. It goes against all logic. If I develop problems down the road, that means I had X-number of years to live well until then. That, and I already had problems--which are now diminished.

People are not like a mechanical object, while we're all very similar, our genes, chemistry and functions differ ever so slightly. We can't all live in hermetically-sealed environments just to live life. We all deteriorate eventually, some faster than others, some with an obvious "smoking gun" and others that bewilder the status quo. I am sorry to hear about your COPD--I can relate. As also was mentioned, living is the number-one cause of death. It's the quality of life that makes it matter--one person's solution is not the salvation of another.

Cool

The diagnosis was made on the basis of spirometry tests ... one of them was administered after a dosage of medication to open my airways. Indeed the COPD could have been triggered by something other than my pipe smoking. Regardless of the cause, it is a good idea to reduce when possible the foreign substances I inhale.

Death and deterioration are realities. That said, I have a wife and two kids. And I'd rather not endure death by suffocation ... at least any time soon. So, it's in my best interest to do what I can to slow down the process. To that end, I've reduced my pipe smoking and moved it outdoors to reduce the likelihood of inhaling ambient smoke. But I'll most likely stop altogether. ... not happy about it as pipe smoking has been a passion of mine. On the other hand, so is breathing. I've also started jogging over my lunch hour.

Trust me, I'm also looking at quality of life issues here too. I'd like to reduce the number of years I'll be struggling with breathing or attached to an oxygen tank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking effects on health   Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:44 pm

We all have to make choices and sacrifices, and they're not always pleasant. Good luck to your health, I hope you can come to a reasonable compromise. There's always those e-pipes as a last-ditch effort, but I have no idea how that would affect/not affect COPD.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gkunkel

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking effects on health   Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:47 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
We all have to make choices and sacrifices, and they're not always pleasant. Good luck to your health, I hope you can come to a reasonable compromise. There's always those e-pipes as a last-ditch effort, but I have no idea how that would affect/not affect COPD.

Cool

Thanks and good luck to you too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
abdthi

Registration date : 2012-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking effects on health   Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:21 pm

Either way its a escape from a few extra years, in a rest home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sloppy Joe Hemingway

Registration date : 2012-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking effects on health   Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:37 pm

idbowman wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:
MisterE wrote:

Cool

Don't forget...it's also the primary component in all acid rain. Scary stuff. Cool

Stuff is nasty. Breathe it in, you'll choke, even die. It rusts metal, slowly disolves rocks... crazy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking effects on health   Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:19 pm

Facts regarding Dihydrogen Monoxide - DHMO:

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking effects on health   Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:28 pm

Dave_In_Philly wrote:
Facts regarding Dihydrogen Monoxide - DHMO:

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Shocked

Ah thats ok Dave, I didnt need to sleep tonight anyhow
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Pipe smoking effects on health   Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:30 pm

Hmm, interesting! Well, whatever the medical facts, there's one thing I can say for sure - that if anything, pipe-smoking is significantly easier for me to control than my old smoky habit (cigarrette smoking) OR non-smoking (tried that too). Cigs turn me fast into a nicotine-craving wreck while non-smoking feels just, in the long run, unsustainable. I'll much more gladly keep my pipe-habit and enjoy it in moderation than risk going back to cigs while trying to be smoke-free.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Pipe smoking effects on health
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: