HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

#6--Brandy

Go down 
AuthorMessage
scotties22

Registration date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: #6--Brandy   Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:34 pm

I just finished this last night and wanted to share. I had fun making this pipe. I tried something on the shank that didn't work out because of the crack on the bottom, but all in all I think it came out okay. All comments welcome and appreciated.

Length: 6.25 inches
Bowl Height: 1.5 inches
Bowl Diameter (at bottom) 1.75 inches
Chamber Height: 1.375 inches
Chamber Diameter: .78 inches
Stem: Vulcanite, length 2.25 inches

Thanks for looking.

Scottie
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ladybriar.com
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: #6--Brandy   Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:55 pm

Looks like you did a great job, there. Love the shape. Hope the pits are not too deep and that the pipe is smokeable. It would be a shame to waste such a beaut.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: #6--Brandy   Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:11 am

I really like this one a lot. Its very interesting to watch you grow a pipe maker. This one is a winner, I look forward to seeing what comes next.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: #6--Brandy   Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:05 pm

Dave_In_Philly wrote:
This one is a winner, I look forward to seeing what comes next.

Well more than in agreeance with Dave, cannot wait to see what comes next. Very Happy You have made huge progress from your cherry ramses to this pipe and in a darn short time. Keep up the good work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ejames

Registration date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: #6--Brandy   Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:36 pm

Nicely done!! I really like the color !
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ozarksouthpawpipes.com/index.html
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: #6--Brandy   Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:52 am

Holy crap, lady, you're good. You're real good! Very Happy

That's a great take on the brandy shape, one I like a lot. I don't know I've seen many with straight stems, nor in a "sitter" configuration. You have a very feminine approach in shape to the otherwise "masculine" poise most pipes end up with. I really, really like that. it softens the lines and adds a depth of character. I wish there were more lady pipe carvers for just this reason--variety.

I, too, hope some of the flaws are merely superficial and this pipe smokes for a long time to come. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: #6--Brandy   Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:28 am

Quote :
You have a very feminine approach in shape to the otherwise "masculine" poise most pipes end up with. I really, really like that. it softens the lines and adds a depth of character. I wish there were more lady pipe carvers for just this reason--variety.

IMHO, this is an illusion.

Women have very weak emotional brakes. That's why men always end up calling the shots.

Iroquois warriors were fierce enough. But it was their women who tortured the captives they brought back home for them to play with like cats with mice in ways that you can hardly stand to even read about.

You would think that female musicians would bring the tender, nurturing, empathetic side to music. But my experience in, & familiarity with classical music points to the opposite.

If you want violin playing that shows tender gentleness when that's appropriate, you want guys like Nathan Milstein. Women generally launch into stuff like the Panzer Corps going into Poland.

Critics long ago used to marvel at Maud Powell, remarking that "she played like an angry man." What they didn't realise (maybe because there were so few lady violin soloists) was that she was just being herself.

Same deal as women in positions of authority. Some are, admittedly, gems. But I've been stuck having to cope with enough of the other sort to comprehend that, as a general rule, they just don't know how to do "power." They think subordinates are their children, or that they're elementary school teachers, ruling the roost.

I think that man appreciate curves better. They're hardwired for that. Laughing

What a Face
Back to top Go down
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: #6--Brandy   Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:01 am

Yak wrote:
Quote :
You have a very feminine approach in shape to the otherwise "masculine" poise most pipes end up with. I really, really like that. it softens the lines and adds a depth of character. I wish there were more lady pipe carvers for just this reason--variety.

IMHO, this is an illusion.

Women have very weak emotional brakes. That's why men always end up calling the shots.

Iroquois warriors were fierce enough. But it was their women who tortured the captives they brought back home for them to play with like cats with mice in ways that you can hardly stand to even read about.

You would think that female musicians would bring the tender, nurturing, empathetic side to music. But my experience in, & familiarity with classical music points to the opposite.

If you want violin playing that shows tender gentleness when that's appropriate, you want guys like Nathan Milstein. Women generally launch into stuff like the Panzer Corps going into Poland.

Critics long ago used to marvel at Maud Powell, remarking that "she played like an angry man." What they didn't realise (maybe because there were so few lady violin soloists) was that she was just being herself.

Same deal as women in positions of authority. Some are, admittedly, gems. But I've been stuck having to cope with enough of the other sort to comprehend that, as a general rule, they just don't know how to do "power." They think subordinates are their children, or that they're elementary school teachers, ruling the roost.

I think that man appreciate curves better. They're hardwired for that. Laughing

What a Face

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
scotties22

PostSubject: Re: #6--Brandy   Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:12 am

Thanks guys. The crack in the shank (which is the worst of the flaws) is just on the surface. I shined a light in the chamber last night just to be sure it didn't go all the way through....I think I dodged a bullet there. There are a few things that I'm not quite happy with. Good thing I have an aunt to foist it off on Very Happy
Back to top Go down
scotties22

PostSubject: Re: #6--Brandy   Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:27 am

Yak you are absolutely right. I love nothing than to make a grown man cry Very Happy , that's why my old boss kept me around!!

Yes, women are way more vicious that men. Our brains are wired differently. Men have more spacial awareness and are more analytical...most of the time. Men are drawn to, and most really appreciate, curves.

And don't worry boys, this pot don't stir easy at all
Back to top Go down
Jers

Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: #6"--Brandy   Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:46 pm

Congratulations! A fantastic effort - you clearly have a talent! cheers cheers

I have recently retired (relatively young!) and I'm looking for new hobbies and interests. I'm wondering if you made this beauty from a kit and were a lot of tools required?

I'd appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction or indicate a starting point for pipe making.

Thanks

Jers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotties22

PostSubject: Re: #6--Brandy   Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:28 pm

The very first pipe I made was a kit. I drilled and shaped this myself. The stem is a preform, I haven't gotten brave enough to try to hand cut one yet. I have a belt/ disc sander, drill press, band saw, a buffer, a dremel and various rasps files and sand paper. It takes longer than it does if you have a lathe, but I don't mind a lot of hand sanding.

Look at www.pipemakers.org or http://www.amsmoke.com/Services/PipeKit.html

They have kits and any other type of materials you might need. Have you taken a look at www.pipemakersforum.com yet? Great group of guys and very helpful as well. Growley and Ocelot turned be onto it and the guys there have been a huge help.

I hope you find this hobby as enjoyable as I do. It is a great little getaway for me and I only have to step out into the garage to get there.

Scottie
Back to top Go down
Jers

Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Pipemaking   Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:35 pm

Thanks Scottie - I will have to look into this.

Very much appreciated.

Jers

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: #6--Brandy   Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:42 pm

Yak can pot-stir all he likes. He's getting cyclically stir-crazy around here anyway, I can sense it in his writing. I can relate, or I wouldn't be keen to it. Laughing

In my own humble, I've been a musician, artist and writer for long enough to know the difference between the way a typical male brain will approach something and a typical female brain. It isn't something clear, it's just...innate. In days of cave drawings and petroglyphs, I'd assume if a lady left a "message" it had a flair to it that probably got a group of bachelor primitives all in a blushing tizzy. It's communication, as all artforms are. Beyond that, just the pipe factor link between all of us here also makes us "atypical" (among many other things) but to me there's a glaring difference in such a masculine-dominated hobby/craft when a woman approaches it, and I can think of no other art form than a pipe that frames my position.

It has nothing to do with fierceness or meanness, dominance or submissiveness, that's just being part of the animal kingdom. Chemically, women and men are different, and chemistry makes up everything. Whether or not this trumps personality, approach, taste or style is worth debate--just not from me. I don't care. I see a difference, and why exactly, I don't know. Call it nature. Call it intuition. Call it my "feminine side." All I know is, Scottie's got some talent, and a unique approach--I hope it keeps up.

Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rusty Mouse

Registration date : 2012-01-10

PostSubject: Re: #6--Brandy   Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:52 pm

Marvellous! The shape and colour really work well together.

So, when will ya stop teasing and give a Brother a chance to buy a pipe? Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotties22

PostSubject: Re: #6--Brandy   Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:24 pm

EIGHT MILLION DOLLARS....One time special offer lol!

What do you want, I am now taking requests...
Back to top Go down
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: #6--Brandy   Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:27 pm

scotties22 wrote:
EIGHT MILLION DOLLARS....One time special offer lol!

What do you want, I am now taking requests...

affraid affraid A 15 degree bent Dublin sounds perfect to me lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: #6--Brandy   Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:11 am

Francois de la Rochefoucauld wrote:
It is only people who possess firmness who can possess true gentleness. In those who appear gentle it is generally only weakness, which is readily converted into harshness.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: #6--Brandy   Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:41 am

Is it a full moon?,,,anybody know?

That's a great pipe, and personally I don't mind the flaws in it,,,lends it character, tells a story, nature isn't perfect.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Soshae

Registration date : 2011-08-19

PostSubject: Re: #6--Brandy   Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:16 am

Quote :
Yak can pot-stir all he likes. He's getting cyclically stir-crazy

Kyle, I also have been noticing this week he has been a little more edgy again.

Quote :
Francois de la Rochefoucauld wrote:
It is only people who possess firmness who can possess true gentleness. In those who appear gentle it is generally only weakness, which is readily converted into harshness.

Yak, you posted something I can agree with. cheers

I think the easiest way to explain gentleness is the dance on Beauty and the Beast. His large hand could easily crush hers but doesn't.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

#6--Brandy
Page 1 of 1