HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Starting a pipe club

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cigarstorejay

Registration date : 2011-04-02

PostSubject: Starting a pipe club   Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:24 am

Hi All
I would like to start a South Jersey Pipe club but am lost as to where to begin. I have a half dozen people who are excited about this thing getting going and I would like that number to increase dramatically. The problem is getting started.

Does anyone in BoB land have any suggestions or resources I can use as to what to do? Any and all ideas would be appreciated.

Also, if you are in the area, please let me know and I can add you to the list.

Thanks
Jay
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dock
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Starting a pipe club   Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:17 am

Jay,

I've started two over the years and am getting ready to launch a cigar club now. The best thing I ever did was to visit an active club before starting my own. I learned how a properly run one is operated. You'll need a venue or course, a president, a tresurer and a small core of loyal participants that will actually show up once a month. You'll then have to decide about dues and weather you'll collect them or not and then what you'll do with them after they're collected.

I've found that the biggest road block are folks schedules. Thanks to this crappy economy folks are working more than ever, have less free time and generally wanna rest when they're off duty. A loyal group of enthusiastic members will inspire more to join and so on and so forth.

Also, a monthly newsletter sent to members serves as a reminder of the meeting date and place and it's also a way for non active members to catch up on the club.

Check out the SHPC's newsletter: http://www.shpcboston.org It's done by secretary Nelson Pidgeon and will give you a great look into a successful and active club. All back newsletters are archieved at the bottom of it...

If you have any questions drop me a pm and I'll try to help if possible...
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
cigarstorejay

PostSubject: Re: Starting a pipe club   Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:12 pm

Thanks for the heads up and the information. I plan to look over it in detail. I would like to go to a local club, i.e Philly, and see how one is run and then go from there. It seems daunting when beginning, but I hope it will pan out. There is a little smoke shop not far from me that has a nice, small ish smoke room. The lady who runs it seemed to be receptive to the idea so we'll see!

I appreciate the advice

Jay
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Starting a pipe club   Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:06 pm

cigarstorejay wrote:
Thanks for the heads up and the information. I plan to look over it in detail. I would like to go to a local club, i.e Philly, and see how one is run and then go from there. It seems daunting when beginning, but I hope it will pan out. There is a little smoke shop not far from me that has a nice, small ish smoke room. The lady who runs it seemed to be receptive to the idea so we'll see!

I appreciate the advice

Jay

If I were you, I would contact B.O.B. member Lestrout. He is a member of Morley's Club in Philly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lestrout

Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Starting a pipe club   Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:46 pm

Yo Jay

Morley's has a number of Jersey members. In fact several of the regulars drive in each month from north of Princeton. Why don't you join us Wednesday? We have a great venue with a good bar and the best inexpensive hot fresh cooked dinners in the area.

hp
les
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cigarstorejay

PostSubject: Re: Starting a pipe club   Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:43 am

Hi les
Thanks for the invite!
I hope to make it. have to check with the boss and make sure she will be home to watch the kids. Hope to see you there.

Jay
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Starting a pipe club
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1