HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Craig Ashton Sovereign Rhodesian Addition

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Craig Ashton Sovereign Rhodesian Addition   Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:39 am

I saw this identical pipe on Jimmy Craigs Ebay listings earlier this Spring, but my highest bid didn't make the cut. I love the Sovereign finish and XX size is just right (my Taylor Rhodesian is also XX). When this popped up from an Italian ebay seller last month, I made an offer and it was accepted. A tapered stem Rhodesian is one of my favorite shapes. This one is as close to the fabled Comoys 256 as I'm likely to get.

The pipe arrived yesterday and I had two opportunities to smoke it. Last night at Seneca Lake at the bandshell listening to big band music, what a spot eh? Unfortunately the seller forgot to pack the bag but promised to send it out today.

The pipe is built perfectly and smokes like a dream. It was pre-smoked, but must have only been smoked a few times as the bowl really showed almost no signs of use (or smell). That oil-cured briar is a real treat on the first few smokes, so I was glad to be able to enjoy it as well, not really expected on an estate purchase.

It passes a cleaner easily and the bit is very comfortable. I'd say it is a Group 3-4, which is perfect for my travel bag.

The last shot was taken enoute by the Susquehanna River in PA. It was too windy to keep my butane insert lit, but made for a nice picture...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Craig Ashton Sovereign Rhodesian Addition   Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:20 am

Darn fin looking pipe sir, congrats. Are you using the butane lighter to light your pipes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarBrad

Registration date : 2012-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Craig Ashton Sovereign Rhodesian Addition   Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:30 am

Thats a great looking pipe. I am a big fan of the Rhodesian shape as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Craig Ashton Sovereign Rhodesian Addition   Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

Oh Man ! The classic English Bent Rhodesian ! Not only do the look good, they are one of the nicest smoking shapes there is !! You are one lucky man!! Classic Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Craig Ashton Sovereign Rhodesian Addition   Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:02 am

I use a tbird insert for travel use; but I am pretty careful with my light finish pipes. I hate scorch marks. I just cant strike a match out on the road.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Craig Ashton Sovereign Rhodesian Addition   Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:39 pm

riff raff wrote:
I use a tbird insert for travel use; but I am pretty careful with my light finish pipes. I hate scorch marks. I just cant strike a match out on the road.

Got ya, yeah I looked them up after I saw that. I never knew they had a soft flame butane with the pipe angle. Too cool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Craig Ashton Sovereign Rhodesian Addition   Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:31 pm

No matter what a man normally smokes, it is hard to beat a quality English pipe, and the Rhodesian shape is the crème de la crème! Congrats riff raff, on a fine addition to anyone's collection. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Craig Ashton Sovereign Rhodesian Addition   Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:31 pm

What a great Ashton! I'm seriously jealous.

You've quite the eye for perfect, classic English pipes, Al! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Craig Ashton Sovereign Rhodesian Addition   Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:37 pm

Thanks guys; I look forward to getting to know this one better. Its rare that i spend that kind of money for a pipe so i'm very happy this one delivered.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Craig Ashton Sovereign Rhodesian Addition   Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:29 am

s.ireland wrote:
You've quite the eye for perfect, classic English pipes, Al! cheers

Definitely!
RiffRaff is the English collector with an eye for classic perfection.
Well done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Craig Ashton Sovereign Rhodesian Addition   Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:55 am

***** !

What a Face
Back to top Go down
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Craig Ashton Sovereign Rhodesian Addition   Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:47 pm

My extra Ashton bag arrived today and I snapped a picture of both of my Ashton Rhodesians on the bag. Hopefully the Sovereign bag shows up and it so, I'll use the white bag for the Pebble Grain pipe. Interestingly, both are stamped XX, but the Pebble Grain pipe is slightly longer.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

PostSubject: Re: Craig Ashton Sovereign Rhodesian Addition   Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:15 pm

Oh my! That is one special pair!

cheers

The brindle saddle stem is gorgeous!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Craig Ashton Sovereign Rhodesian Addition   Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:44 pm

The Pebble Grain (Brindle) was a 50th birthday present from the wife last year. Unfortunately it took some work to make it a good smoker. Mr Taylors quality control wasn't as high as Mr Craig's......

Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

PostSubject: Re: Craig Ashton Sovereign Rhodesian Addition   Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:06 pm

riff raff wrote:
The Pebble Grain (Brindle) was a 50th birthday present from the wife last year. Unfortunately it took some work to make it a good smoker. Mr Taylors quality control wasn't as high as Mr Craig's......

I actually really like what JC is turning out these days... My two newer Ashtons are very well made, have great blasts and smoke wonderfully of course!

Although my experience with Taylor's pipes is limited, the new ones are just as nice and do seem to have better QC Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: JC Ashton Claret LX Addition   Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:10 am

I've enjoyed my Sovereign so much, I added another Jimmy Craig. This one is a chubby, full-bent in Claret stained, blasted finish and LX size. It is just lightly larger than my XX and perfect for my travel bag. The shape and tapered stem sold me on this one. It also smokes wonderfully and despite being near Oom-Paul shaped, takes a cleaner. I'm very impressed with this one as well.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Craig Ashton Sovereign Rhodesian Addition   Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:54 am

You sonnofvagun! I think that's the Ashton I almost pulled the trigger on the other day. What a gorgeous blast! I am glad she's going to a good home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Craig Ashton Sovereign Rhodesian Addition   Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:34 pm

Ocelot55 wrote:
You sonnofvagun! I think that's the Ashton I almost pulled the trigger on the other day. What a gorgeous blast! I am glad she's going to a good home.
They had it up with what I thought was a fair "buy it now" price but also an "make offer" option. So I threw in a pretty low ball offer that I thought would be anted (and I was ready to go up), but I was surprised to learn it was accepted. Odd, but good for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ejames

Registration date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Craig Ashton Sovereign Rhodesian Addition   Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:58 pm

Very nice Al ! I love Rhodesians!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ozarksouthpawpipes.com/index.html
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Craig Ashton Sovereign Rhodesian Addition   Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:25 pm

That sure looks like one big honkin' chunk of briar riff. How much does it weigh?

affraid

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Craig Ashton Sovereign Rhodesian Addition   Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:54 am

Brewdude wrote:
That sure looks like one big honkin' chunk of briar riff. How much does it weigh?

affraid

Cheers,

RR

It is actually quite small. Maybe 45 grams? It's about 4.5" long. The bowl is about 1.5" deep, so it still yields a lengthy smoke. I need some smaller pipes for travel and this one fit that bill nicely. It also clenches/hangs wonderfully.

Here's a shot of all three of my Ashton pipes (two JC, one Taylor, the Pebble Grain). The bent is an LX, which is supposed to be larger than the XX, the size of the other two. But, they are all pretty close in size. I'm building cake in the new one, hence the white ash in the photo.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Craig Ashton Sovereign Rhodesian Addition
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Photo Gallery-
Jump to: