HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
cigarstorejay

Registration date : 2011-04-03

PostSubject: dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe   Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:07 am

I was looking into buying some Fiebing dyes to use on a pipe I am finishing and wanted advice as to what colors to buy to achieve a natural finish? I was thinking of a darker brown (I'm scared to use black) as an undercoat. Then I'm not sure what to do to achieve the very popular Natural finish.

Any advice is appreciated.

Jay
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shootist51

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe   Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:16 am

cigarstorejay wrote:
I was looking into buying some Fiebing dyes to use on a pipe I am finishing and wanted advice as to what colors to buy to achieve a natural finish? I was thinking of a darker brown (I'm scared to use black) as an undercoat. Then I'm not sure what to do to achieve the very popular Natural finish.

Jay

The pipes I've seen and owned, with a "natural" finish, are finished by polishing with carnuba wax, no dyes involved.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotties22

Registration date : 2012-06-11

PostSubject: Re: dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe   Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:05 am

I used dark brown and then sanded it at 600 grit until all the stain was gone. Then carnuba wax and came up with this finish. It still looks natural, but makes the grain pop just a little. It's not really a natural finish because of the stain, but is a very simple finish.

This was only my 3rd pipe and that has been a few months ago now, so please don't mind the crappy pipe....I've come a long way since then.

Scottie
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ladybriar.com
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe   Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:39 am

I quite like the look of that pipe actually, I certainly wouldn't think it would be out of place if I were browsing a row of artisan pipes. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cigarstorejay

PostSubject: Re: dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe   Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:41 am

you re crappy pipe is not crappy at all. I bet mine will end up put crapping yours, lol. And thank you for the tip. I wasn't sure how an undercoat with a carnuba finish would look.

I appreciate that
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cigarstorejay

PostSubject: Re: dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe   Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:42 am

shootist51 wrote:
cigarstorejay wrote:

Jay

The pipes I've seen and owned, with a "natural" finish, are finished by polishing with carnuba wax, no dyes involved.

Do you have a picture of one like you mentioned?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe   Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:49 am

Signature Nording has no dye and no wax, just plain wood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-16

PostSubject: Re: dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe   Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:09 am

As the name implies, a"natural" finished pipe has NO stain, merely polished with carnuba wax. This will impart a sort of golden/honey look to the wood when done correctly but there is NO stain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cigarstorejay

PostSubject: Re: dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe   Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:14 am

monbla256 wrote:
As the name implies, a"natural" finished pipe has NO stain, merely polished with carnuba wax. This will impart a sort of golden/honey look to the wood when done correctly but there is NO stain.

That "honey-ish" color is kind of what I am going for. I wasn't sure if there was a particular stain that imparted that color or if it was pure carnuba. In the wood working store, there are "natural" stains, albeit poly based.

Thank You
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe   Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:27 pm

cigarstorejay wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

That "honey-ish" color is kind of what I am going for. I wasn't sure if there was a particular stain that imparted that color or if it was pure carnuba. In the wood working store, there are "natural" stains, albeit poly based.

Thank You

I would stay away from
poly based" stains as they were developed as a Finish/ Coloring for wood work. I would not put ANY Poly based finishing agent on a pipe. It's supposed to breath and Poly based finishes are meant to seal the wood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe   Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:58 pm

I tell ya what, my best-looking pipes are ones that had a wax-only finish, and they've colored themselves somethin' purty as they've been smoked.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
asmoke

Registration date : 2011-11-05

PostSubject: Re: dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe   Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:23 pm

monbla256 wrote:
cigarstorejay wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

Thank You

I would stay away from
poly based" stains as they were developed as a Finish/ Coloring for wood work. I would not put ANY Poly based finishing agent on a pipe. It's supposed to breath and Poly based finishes are meant to seal the wood.

It's ok to seal the wood (imho). The pores in the wood will end up sealed anyway, oils from hands, dirt, dust, etc. An extremely thick seal, or the wrong seal could affect smoking quality, but this is another hotly contested issue and since we just finished one of those threads... let's just say you'll find intelligent people on both sides.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.andrewstaplespipes.com
cigarstorejay

PostSubject: Re: dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe   Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:27 pm

monbla256 wrote:
cigarstorejay wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

Thank You

I would stay away from

After watching some pipe making videos and reading on BoB, I would definitely not use a poly based stain. Fliegler (SP) has a good pipe making video on youtube where he talks about alcohol based stains. I purchased a couple of Fiebing's but think I will just sand it with some high grit stuff and wax it up with a couple of coats of carnuba. We'll see how it turns out. If it isn't right, back to sanding and maybe staining.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
asmoke

Registration date : 2011-11-05

PostSubject: Re: dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe   Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:38 pm

Do not use poly unless you don't have access to anything else,

You could use it as a last resort, I'd personally leave it stark naked before I would use poly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.andrewstaplespipes.com
Sasquatch

Registration date : 2008-12-15

PostSubject: Re: dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe   Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:10 pm

I use a very thin, VERY thin mixture of shellac and linseed oil. Sand to 4 or 500 grit, really, really thorough. Apply to the stummel, it soaks in/evaporates/dries, then I go through the tripoli polishing process and end with carnauba wax.

This gives a very warm natural finish, and it will darken over time as the pipe is smoked to a deep, beautiful nut/mahogany color.

Probably my favorite finish.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe   Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:37 am

Sasquatch wrote:
I use a very thin, VERY thin mixture of shellac and linseed oil.

Are the two actually mixed? I've thinned out shellac with denatured alcohol so not to have a goopy mess, but I have never liked the results.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotties22

PostSubject: Re: dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe   Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:16 am

I am working on a new super duper top secret shellac finish. I used it on the last pipe I made and it turned out really well. The shellac is thinned with denatured alcohol and some other things....and of course some love. I never thought about using oil.
Back to top Go down
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe   Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:22 am

Sasquatch wrote:
I use a very thin, VERY thin mixture of shellac and linseed oil. Sand to 4 or 500 grit, really, really thorough. Apply to the stummel, it soaks in/evaporates/dries, then I go through the tripoli polishing process and end with carnauba wax.

This gives a very warm natural finish, and it will darken over time as the pipe is smoked to a deep, beautiful nut/mahogany color.

Probably my favorite finish.

THAT"S a natural finish !! Looks GOOD !! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe   Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:44 am

scotties22 wrote:
I am working on a new super duper top secret shellac finish. I used it on the last pipe I made and it turned out really well. The shellac is thinned with denatured alcohol and some other things....and of course some love. I never thought about using oil.

Love is the best secret ingredient. I've often found it mixes well with denatured alcohol...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
scotties22

PostSubject: Re: dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe   Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:29 am

Yup, sure does. Turns everything to rainbows and sunshine!!
Back to top Go down
cigarstorejay

PostSubject: Re: dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe   Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:56 am

They have a butcher block treatment that I saw at Lowes. It is food grade Shelac, basically. Anybody ever hear of it or know if it was ever used on a pipe? Might be an alternative for someone?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sasquatch

Registration date : 2008-12-15

PostSubject: Re: dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe   Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:45 pm

Completely depends on what the finish is made of. Most likely it's just a penetrating food grade oil (walnut is common).

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe   Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:27 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:
I use a very thin, VERY thin mixture of shellac and linseed oil.

Are the two actually mixed? I've thinned out shellac with denatured alcohol so not to have a goopy mess, but I have never liked the results.

*cough bump*

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotties22

PostSubject: Re: dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe   Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:37 pm

If he tells you he'll HAVE to kill you...
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe   Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:38 pm

It's cool put me out of my misery. Laughing I've lived three lifetimes it feels like.

Otherwise, read between the lines and noted. I can experiment from there. Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile

dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next