HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Newbie Question

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Thistleoak

avatar

Age : 36
Location : Northwest Michigan
Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Newbie Question   Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:36 pm

Hey everyone,
I have been visiting my local tobacconist and have purchased a few different ribbon cut blends, I tend to be old school ( big fan of the old west and the french trapping era) though and I am in love with the idea of carrying and smoking rope tobacco. I am at a loss of a good blend of it though being a novice smoker. I have no idea where to even to get a sample of this to make a pipe dream come true. Is this an expensive form of tobacco? I think it would be great for a trapper character I portray at black powder shoots I compete in. I carry my churchwarden pipe when in character.... Does anyone have any other pipe style suggestions for the french trapping era????

Thanks everyone for taking the time to educate a greenhorn,

Thistle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slide



Age : 56
Location : Benton, Louisiana
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Question   Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:40 pm

Samuel Gawith and Gawith Hoggarth both have rope or twist tobaccos. Several of the internet shops carry them.

I plan on getting some soon but I understand they can be pretty strong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Moderator
avatar

Age : 66
Location : Arid-zona
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Question   Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:49 pm

Slide wrote:
Samuel Gawith and Gawith Hoggarth both have rope or twist tobaccos. Several of the internet shops carry them.

I plan on getting some soon but I understand they can be pretty strong.

Yes x100.

The Brown #4 twist from SG is mind blowing strong. However, if you smoke a small bowl and take your time you may not end up puking......

The Black XX rope is a bit less intimidating, but not by much. And it has a charcoal character.

You also have to prepare them properly. Cut into small chunks, rub out as best as possible, and let dry for some time as they come pretty moist.

p&c has both in stock-

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/sagabuto.html

Don't puff too fast. And have someone trained on a defibrilator handy....


Suspect



Cheers,

RR

_________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin


Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
Kyle Weiss

avatar

Location : Reno, NV
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Question   Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:53 pm

As much as I like the idea of rope tobacco, SG's Brown Rope 4 was not my cup of tea. I approached it gently and everything! pale

I'm pretty sure plug tobaccos would likely be "era acceptable" to your time period, it comes from a variety of makers and of varying strengths. I adore plug tobacco. SG's Kendal Plug and GLP's Jackknife Plug being two favorites.

Cool


Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

avatar

Age : 40
Location : Land of Steady Habits
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Question   Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:45 pm

The aromatic Gawith Hoggarth twists don't pack quite the wallop as some of their cousins, but still, tread lightly.

As for pipe styles for your roleplay era, it was the heyday of the long clay pipe. Of the common shapes, I like the cutty best. If you don't like the length, snap off the stem to the desired length!

A French trapper would also likely have had some trade with tribes that were tobacco fans... maybe he traded for one of their pipes, which varied widely in material and design based on traditions and region.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Sloppy Joe Hemingway

avatar

Age : 42
Location : Sweet Home Chicago (when not in the Keys)
Registration date : 2012-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Question   Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:28 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:

I'm pretty sure plug tobaccos would likely be "era acceptable" to your time period, it comes from a variety of makers and of varying strengths. I adore plug tobacco. SG's Kendal Plug and GLP's Jackknife Plug being two favorites.

Cool



Right you are, sir. I have a pouch of Bull Durham plug from about 1895, still full.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
asmoke

avatar

Location : I am in the basement, but I have a window
Registration date : 2011-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Question   Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:21 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Slide wrote:
Samuel Gawith and Gawith Hoggarth both have rope or twist tobaccos. Several of the internet shops carry them.

I plan on getting some soon but I understand they can be pretty strong.

Yes x100.

The Brown #4 twist from SG is mind blowing strong. However, if you smoke a small bowl and take your time you may not end up puking......

The Black XX rope is a bit less intimidating, but not by much. And it has a charcoal character.

You also have to prepare them properly. Cut into small chunks, rub out as best as possible, and let dry for some time as they come pretty moist.

p&c has both in stock-

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/sagabuto.html

Don't puff too fast. And have someone trained on a defibrilator handy....


Suspect



Cheers,

RR

I love sg blends. They can KNOCK YOUR YOUR SOCKS OFF. The puking thing is not uch of an exaggeration.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.andrewstaplespipes.com
Dave_In_Philly

avatar

Age : 38
Location : Philly
Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Question   Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:27 am

GH Brown Boggie - strong, but not deadly, and very good.

I'd echo Plugs as probably being period appropriate, though I couldn't swear to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuitarMyFriend

avatar

Age : 25
Location : The Glove
Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Question   Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:36 am

When you and I buy together, we'll see about getting some Sammys. I'll let you try my Black XX.... Twisted Evil
Zach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
williamcharles

avatar

Age : 67
Location : Indiana
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Question   Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:58 pm

When I was re-enacting the 1820 era, "carrots" of twist tobacco was what my research showed was common. The carrots were smoked as well as chewed. They weren't even rope like we see today. The ones on exhibit in museums are twists like the Railroad Twist, Mammoth Cave and King Bee Twists sold as chewing tobacco these days. Another form of tobacco traded amoung the Native Americans were "hands" of tobacco. Basically just leaf tobacco knotted at one end. I found nothing regarding plug tobacco at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lesepfeife

avatar

Age : 61
Location : Upstate NY or Southeast PA
Registration date : 2012-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Question   Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:00 pm

Thistleoak wrote:
Hey everyone,
I am in love with the idea of carrying and smoking rope tobacco. I am at a loss of a good blend of it though being a novice smoker. I have no idea where to even to get a sample of this to make a pipe dream come true. Is this an expensive form of tobacco? I think it would be great for a trapper character I portray at black powder shoots I compete in. I carry my churchwarden pipe when in character.... Does anyone have any other pipe style suggestions for the french trapping era????

I'm assuming that this would be early 19th century or before. My research is targeted toward 1860's product and practice. Dark Virginia blends seemed to be the norm before and during the war of that era and the only burley that was available much at all was Red. I believe that white variety is what is now common so for events I avoid blends that contain any burley. I have tried a couple of rope tobaccos. The GH Black Irish X has generally been a success with a decent smoking experience and I ordered more of that. Despite its wonderful tin note the GH Sweet Rum Twist has been pretty much the opposite so far. I bought both at Pipes and Cigars.

From what I have read the white clay pipes as seen in your avatar would be appropriate for a long time at least into the 1860's. For that particular era another very common type of pipe was the fired and glazed clay to which a wood or reed stem was fitted. I don' recall when manufacture of these began. Internet searches for Powhattan and Pamplin should lead you to more information. Originals commonly show up on Ebay for $5-20.

A quick read of the excerpt in my sig will give you a bit more information, though it might not fit your era.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Newbie Question
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Theme/Background question
» When Reseting Passwords add a Security Question(s)
» Question about forum securities?
» Credits question?
» Question on private forum

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Pipe Techniques-
Jump to: