HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Basic cleaning steps for Estate pipes

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Basic cleaning steps for Estate pipes   Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:26 pm

Hey guys, I'm looking at a couple of estate pipes that appear to be in good order but are heavily used. I don't know the first thing about cleaning up an old dirty pipe, but I'd like to learn. Can anyone give me a brief rundown of supplies and techniques for cleaning and sanitising an old briar pipe? Or maybe point me to a previous thread that did it, I looked through a few pages and saw mentions of alcohol cleaning and salt filling, but not really a idiots guide to pipe cleaning like I need.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Basic cleaning steps for Estate pipes   Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:59 pm

Here's a link to what some of your brothers north of you over there have to say about this:

http://edinburghpipeclub.blogspot.com/2011/06/cleaning-estate-pipe.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Basic cleaning steps for Estate pipes   Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:05 pm

Looks like exactly what I am looking for, much obliged monbla!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Basic cleaning steps for Estate pipes   Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:07 pm

Here are some techniques that are popular for refurbishing estate pipes.

Click around you tube and you'll find tons of videos on the topic. I personally don't do the stem bleaching or the salt treatment, but this will work.

Instead, I use cotton balls if I choose to leech the bowl out with alcohol, and various grades of waterproof sandpaper for the stems.

FWIW
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Schmitzbitz

Registration date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Basic cleaning steps for Estate pipes   Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:57 pm

Mr. Steve Laug; pipe restorer extrordinaire and keeper of the briar for the Vancouver Pipe Club has recently launched a blog on the restoration process that is well worth a look.

Reborn Pipes by Steve Laug
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Basic cleaning steps for Estate pipes
Page 1 of 1