HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Ahhh, my first pipe smoker's forum

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
serif365

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Ahhh, my first pipe smoker's forum   Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:39 am

Hi! from beautiful, dry and hot Austin, Texas. I've been a newbie pipe smoker for more than 40 years meaning I have tried all those years to pick it up but never quite got the hang of it. I was a light cigarette smoker until two years ago when I just quit. I had a collection of 50+ pipes of various styles from MM cobs to meerschaums I had picked up while stationed in Turkey in the early seventies to some higher end Petersons and Dunhills with a few free-styles thrown in. I had the pipes but only a small amount of "house blend" from my local tobacconist (Pipe World). Then I discovered Pipes and Cigars!!! I started smoking a bowl or two every day of a dozen or so blends from P&G two months back AND I LOVE IT!!! Like I mentioned earlier it's hot down here this time of year. I get home from work in the evening and the temperature is still in the nineties so I change into shorts and tee, load up a pipe with the rotation for the day, head to the back porch, fill up a wash tub with cool water, sit in a favorite chair, put my feet in the tub, fire up my pipe, read a good book and fall into what I can only describe as pipe smoking Nirvana. My biggest question is what took me so long??? I don't think I would have ever enjoyed a pipe as long as I smoked cigarettes. sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Ahhh, my first pipe smoker's forum   Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:20 am

Welcome to the Brotherhood, Serif365!

Please come back often and join in.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Ahhh, my first pipe smoker's forum   Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:31 am

Welcome to the Brotherhood Serif. Looks like you found the right method to deal with the heat.
And for being a newbie of 40 years you seem to have amassed quite a nice collection of pipes.
cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Ahhh, my first pipe smoker's forum   Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:43 am

Welcome Serif. I had a similar entry into pipe smoking except with a lot fewer pipes. I never really got the hang of it, or the joy of it until recently. Studying this forum has actually helped me a lot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Ahhh, my first pipe smoker's forum   Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:37 am

Welcome to the forums! It sounds like you have a great routine!

"Y"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999 Online
Buckshot

Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Ahhh, my first pipe smoker's forum   Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:45 pm

Welcome to the Brotherhood. Stop by as often as you can.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Ahhh, my first pipe smoker's forum   Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:34 pm

serif365 wrote:
Hi! from beautiful, dry and hot Austin, Texas. I've been a newbie pipe smoker for more than 40 years meaning I have tried all those years to pick it up but never quite got the hang of it. I was a light cigarette smoker until two years ago when I just quit. I had a collection of 50+ pipes of various styles from MM cobs to meerschaums I had picked up while stationed in Turkey in the early seventies to some higher end Petersons and Dunhills with a few free-styles thrown in. I had the pipes but only a small amount of "house blend" from my local tobacconist (Pipe World). Then I discovered Pipes and Cigars!!! I started smoking a bowl or two every day of a dozen or so blends from P&G two months back AND I LOVE IT!!! Like I mentioned earlier it's hot down here this time of year. I get home from work in the evening and the temperature is still in the nineties so I change into shorts and tee, load up a pipe with the rotation for the day, head to the back porch, fill up a wash tub with cool water, sit in a favorite chair, put my feet in the tub, fire up my pipe, read a good book and fall into what I can only describe as pipe smoking Nirvana. My biggest question is what took me so long??? I don't think I would have ever enjoyed a pipe as long as I smoked cigarettes. sunny

As they say " ... all things in their time" Razz Welcome to the forum and it's good to hear from another Texan Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Ahhh, my first pipe smoker's forum   Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:49 pm

Welcome from Maryland! I never thought about smoking and soaking, sounds relaxing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Ahhh, my first pipe smoker's forum   Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:54 pm

Welcome to BoB.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
serif365

PostSubject: "Onward through the fog"   Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:57 pm

Hmmm, "Onward through the fog" used to be the montra of a local headshop here in Austin, Oat Willies (a different kind of smoke shop from the ones I would frequent today...another time, another preference). scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Ahhh, my first pipe smoker's forum   Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:01 pm

serif365 wrote:
Hmmm, "Onward through the fog" used to be the montra of a local headshop here in Austin, Oat Willies

Well, considering how Monbla acts on here; I think this explains a lot.

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
serif365

PostSubject: The woes of strong smoke   Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:34 pm

Last weekend I had my first experience with a too strong of a smoke. I loaded up a fairly large Peterson apple to the brim with Key Largo, set match to leaf, opened up my trusty Nook to a really good fantasy I'm reading and the fun began. To my senses Key Largo is a relatively powerful tobacco and as I continued to read and puff (excuse me, "sip") I began to slip into a form of light headed semi-coma! For some reason (although I knew better) I just couldn't put that pipe down??? This bowl was likely two inches deep and a full inch wide and it took over an hour to smoke from rim to ash. I finally finished, somehow found the off button on my Nook and then made the mistke of standing up! I almost fell off the porch, over the rail no less! I finally gathered enough fortitude to think I was headed to bed...wrong! It was another three hours before I could even think about sleep and then I had the weirdest dreams. This is likely a moot warning to you seasoned pipesters out there, but some of us pipe pansies have to be a little careful with the high octane weed. I hate to use the "n-word" since this chemical is not the focus of my pipe serenity but I'm not used to that kind of nicotine absorption. This was somewhat akin to my first Cubano Opus-X experience. geek
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Ahhh, my first pipe smoker's forum   Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:47 pm

Firstly welcome to BoB it is great to have you here. If you don't know about a blend before you try it log on here and search for it in the search bar or log on to tobaccoreviews.com and see what people say about the vitamin N content. Y'all youngsters have to be careful with that stuff. I am certain any questions you might have can either be found answered here or can be answered here. Enjoy your pipes brother.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Ahhh, my first pipe smoker's forum   Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:51 pm

Welcome to BoB Serif, I hope you enjoy yourself here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Ahhh, my first pipe smoker's forum   Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:49 pm

Hi serif! Welcome to the boards!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Ahhh, my first pipe smoker's forum   Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:22 am

Welcome! Great to have you aboard! Please do stop by often
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kieveryuu

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Ahhh, my first pipe smoker's forum   Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:42 am

Welcome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://type29a.com
winterland

Registration date : 2012-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Ahhh, my first pipe smoker's forum   Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:50 am

Welcome. Sounds like you will like the fall weather for pipe smoking. Harder for me to smoke when its hot. Fall and pipe smoking seem to go hand in hand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boulder

Registration date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Ahhh, my first pipe smoker's forum   Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:53 pm

Hello and Welcome to the BoB forum. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Ahhh, my first pipe smoker's forum
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1