HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Haddo's

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's   Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:35 pm

Old Nate wrote:
I popped a tin late 2013. Didn't care for it. Put it in a jar and still waiting. I would like to give it another year or two, but now I really want to dig into it!

For me, Haddos is much too much in every way when new. Overwhelming, harsh, and mucho strong.

Aged is another story. After a few years the flavors meld and it starts to come into its own. 5 years and it begins to really shine.

10 years and it's a classic. Still strong in flavor and nic, but in a very balanced sort of way.

I know this from a 10 yr old tin a brother once sent me, and it prompted me to get in a few tins for ageing. I'll pop the first one in a few more yrs at ~5 yrs.

Haddo's is probably my favorite GLP blend.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Bugsahearn

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's   Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:25 pm

Haddo's as you know is named after aleister crowley. It's frequently repeated that Crowley smoked "pure perique soaked in Rum". Every pipe forum has lots of threads of smokers attempting to smoke straight perique or attempting "the crowley". I think it's probably apocryphal that crowley smoked pure rum perique personally. I have read where crowley talks about buying rolls of perique. Maybe he smoked a rum flavored perique blend that was available at the time. It's much less often repeated how crowley loved latakia. I have tried smoking 50% perique and it's tough but possible..just not very enjoyable. It would be nice to a strong perique blend with a heavy rum topping. Haddo's is nice though and I suspect it's very popular not only because crowley has so many admirers. I love strong toppings but the flavor on haddos turns me off a bit...it's reminds me of fruit flavored Turkish delight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's   Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:25 pm

Pure Perique in a bowl?

Sure, when I was curious about what my grandfather was doing out by the lake, then come back grinning, I asked him what he had in the pipe. One day, when it was just he and I fishing, he handed me the pipe and I lit up. Sweet, like smoked prunes. A great head rush, that eventually drifted to my stomach.

Swimming without getting wet.

Anyway, when I make a batch of grandpa's Perique recipe, I am obligated to test it solo to check for that taste and feel, just so I know I got it right...

Never tried it rum soaked. That sounds interesting......

Maybe once it cools down.....

As far as Haddo's, it just seems a bit brassy to me. I can see how age would help. Age is the apparent bend to Pease's blends though. His blends seem to be the 401k of the tobacco world. Investing in the future, rather than indulging in the present.........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's   Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:27 pm

I as well much prefer Haddo's aged to fresh. I agree with Brewdude. Fresh Haddo's is harsh and overwhelming and I too enjoy perique.

Aged, it's a sublime smoke with only a trace of the topping left in it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's   Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:24 pm

[img][/img]

Crowley smoking a Dunhill it looks like? This would have been around 1947 when he died. Cool looking pipe..wonder what he's smoking
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's   Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:43 pm

For me, minimum aging would be two days...perhaps a bit less.

First BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's   Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:02 am

Haddo's right out of the tin is something left to be desired IMO, but Haddo's five-years aged is divine. I've got a couple of tins aging away because at five-year it really is one of the better tobaccos from GLP. Again, my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's   Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:17 pm

joshoowah wrote:
Haddo's right out of the tin is something left to be desired IMO, but Haddo's five-years aged is divine. I've got a couple of tins aging away because at five-year it really is one of the better tobaccos from GLP. Again, my opinion.

I agree. If you pop an older tin of Haddo's and the tobacco within has thoroughly darkened with age, you're in for a treat.

Younger versions are too rough an tumble for my tastes. Harsh doesn't quite describe it accurately. Acerbic is the best descriptor I could come up with. You say 5 years of age, I prefer 7-10. 10 (or in and around there) is amazing. A few years ago Shane Ireland sent me a generous sample from 2002 and it was mind blowingly good. Next level stuff. Thanks to him, when it comes to my preferences in Haddo's, I am quite unfortunately "utterly spoiled."

Last edited by DrumsAndBeer on Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's   Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:25 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
joshoowah wrote:

I agree. If you pop an older tin of Haddo's and the tobacco within has thoroughly darkened with age, you're in for a treat.

Younger versions are too rough an tumble for my tastes. Harsh doesn't quite describe it accurately. Acerbic is the best descriptor I could come up with. You say 5 years of age, I prefer 7-10. 10 (or in and around there) is amazing. A few years ago Shane Ireland sent me a generous sample from 2002 and it was mind blowingly good. Next level stuff. Thanks to him, when it comes to my preferences in Haddo's, I am spoiled.

Agree wholeheartedly. I once had a brother send me a 10 yr old tin and it was sublime beyond measure. Still had a good nic-kick, but the flavors were very well developed. One of my most memorable tins.

sunny

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's   Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:59 am

I've been hoarding Haddo's. I think I have some half pounders from around 2008. Getting really close there!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's   Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:47 pm

juanmedusa wrote:
I've been hoarding Haddo's. I think I have some half pounders from around 2008. Getting really close there!

Lucky you. I haven't come across too many older tins of it for sale. So I have been concentrating more on stuff that's good to smoke now, knowing that it will be even better later.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's   Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:47 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
juanmedusa wrote:

Lucky you. I haven't come across too many older tins of it for sale. So I have been concentrating more on stuff that's good to smoke now, knowing that it will be even better later.

I know what you mean. A couple years ago I was able to get one of those old style 2 ounce tins of it from the very early 2000's. The ones that are cylindrical, taller than wide. It was pretty easy to snag and more affordable than the same would be today.

A quick Haddo's inventory,

I've got several 2ounce tins from 2010 to one as late as 2014. The pair of half pounders are actually from 2012. But alas, there is another lone half pounder from way back in 2004. That's the gem at this point. I'd say it's ready!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's   Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:21 pm

I'm not a big fan of VaPers and this is one of Gregs fuller versions so It really does not smoke well for me. I tried it "fresh" back when it first came out and I bought a tin at my local B&M several years ago and found it VERY HARSH and way too peppery for me. I gave the tin away as I recall. Two years ago I was gifted a 6 yo tin and found a somewhat different blend with the harshness smoothed out and the pepper essence much less but still not what I like so I passed it on to a friend. GLPs blending and me just don't coincide so I'll stick with what the folks up in KC and over in Denmark produce !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's   Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:19 pm

juanmedusa wrote:
DrumsAndBeer wrote:
juanmedusa wrote:

I know what you mean. A couple years ago I was able to get one of those old style 2 ounce tins of it from the very early 2000's. The ones that are cylindrical, taller than wide. It was pretty easy to snag and more affordable than the same would be today.

A quick Haddo's inventory,

I've got several 2ounce tins from 2010 to one as late as 2014. The pair of half pounders are actually from 2012. But alas, there is another lone half pounder from way back in 2004. That's the gem at this point. I'd say it's ready!

Ya, go ahead and bust out that '04 and let us know what you think. Should be plenty ready!

rabbit

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's   Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:51 pm

juanmedusa wrote:
...I've got several 2ounce tins from 2010 to one as late as 2014. The pair of half pounders are actually from 2012. But alas, there is another lone half pounder from way back in 2004.

Eww...that's old and nasty, I'll bet. I'll PM you my address if you want to get rid of it. Actually, referring to the OP, I do like it fresh 'cause I'm a perique fiend. If I have an open tin of a heavy perique blend, I can't smoke anything else. Everything else just seems wimpy to me. Yes, fresh Haddo's has a raw quality, call it an edge, but I like it, including the rather assertive top dressing or whatever it is. But that's because I'm a fiend, and that's what fiends do. If the "edge" were mellowed or softened by aging, I'm not so sure I would like it. I may find out, to a degree, 'cause I do have an 8 ounce tin a couple of years old, if I ever get to it. Hope it's not ruined. [Giggle.]
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's   Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:58 pm

Richard...have you ever smoked John Patton's "Cool Hand Fluke"?

A majorly Perique forward blend.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's   Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:17 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Richard...have you ever smoked John Patton's "Cool Hand Fluke"?

A majorly Perique forward blend.

That's a scary, fey question. Must be the approach of Halloween or something. Or is it the moon? I'm smoking it right now, in a Savinelli Punto Oro poker--pretty much to the exclusion of anything else. Just about done, actually.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's   Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:19 pm

Spooky, eh? Yeah...well I have 'the power' ya know. A!most scare myself at times.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's   Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:30 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Spooky, eh?  Yeah...well I have 'the power' ya know. A!most scare myself at times.

Thought I felt something...figured it was the perique. Silly me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's   Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:38 pm

smirk
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: Haddo's   Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:44 pm

I guess I'll take note of Richard addressing the OP a few posts back and do the same. I prefer the age on this one but I can definitely smoke it fresh so long as I decant it a bit. I think the added flavor melds in with age but I've got to air it out when fresh for my tastes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Haddo's
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: