HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

F-ing washing machine.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
i.keenum

i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

F-ing washing machine. Empty
PostSubject: F-ing washing machine.   F-ing washing machine. EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 9:15 pm

Well my clothes washer's V belt snapped. No big deal except it I bought it because it was made in the late seventies, early eighties and weighed a few hundred pound; I figured it would be sturdy and last a while. I tip the SOB over and see I have to gut it to replace the belt.

Go to local hardware they have the size above and the size below, go to lowes and they ask what a vbelt is. Well i show them what it is but they are all tightly packaged and only labled for lawn mower deck sizes and of course I can't take them out Mad . So I got to auto zone ask for a vbelt and they give it to me in less than five minutes Rolling Eyes .

So back home I deal with the stank of old clothes water and grease for about 2 hours. I get it back on and am very proud of myself. It works for two days and then snaps the belt again Evil or Very Mad . It is so old I cant find a manual or anything about the machine study . What seems is happening is at the end of the cycle the transmission is stopping but the electric motor keeps turning and burns out the belt.

So at this point I really like the rugged thing but I think it is doomed for scrap. So should I shoot for another used one in the 150-200 $ range or get a new one for around 400$? scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: F-ing washing machine.   F-ing washing machine. EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 10:12 pm

Something similar happened to mine about a month ago. Upon doing some research I went with a new one - without the spindle in the middle. It's more energy efficient and uses 1/2 the amount of water of the older units.

Sure - it was $450 delivered, but well worth it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wayne_Teipen

Wayne_Teipen

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: F-ing washing machine.   F-ing washing machine. EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 10:25 pm

That's a tough one. I can tell you that they just don't make them like they used to. I've been through three washing machines in the last ten years. All top of the line and all junk. YMMV.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://teipenpipes.com
Boulder&Briar

Boulder&Briar

Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: F-ing washing machine.   F-ing washing machine. EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 10:52 pm

Im still spining a 1960's Maytag, puke green, with the art deco control panel Very Happy I've had to replace some hoses, belts, springs, and tighten up some loose screws but it still work great. And only because I have a gas well, I still run a 1980's Kenmore dryer. I need to get rid of it and get an electric. I've replaced belts, rollers, ignitions, electronic valves, and now felt seal for the drum is done. But that thing still goes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.boulderandbriar.com
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: F-ing washing machine.   F-ing washing machine. EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 11:06 pm

Kenmore's or Maytag's . I'm still using a 20 yo Kenmore I bought new. Parts are still available and they are readily available in the used market at reasonable prices. Maytags the same just a bit more . The newer machines are definately more efficient but will cost more than a used. If you buy from an appliance store , many that sell reconditioned used, you will get some sort of warranty so that may be a way to go. Good luck and worse comes to worse, lavanderia's are always around Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: F-ing washing machine.   F-ing washing machine. EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 11:07 pm

I like to work on things like that but control boards or whatever controls the timing seems off and and that doesn't seem a part ill just be able to get a the hardware store. I'm not too worried about energy effecient. I need a spindle to agitate the clothes really well ( two year old potty training) because I hear the spindleless HE ones don't get dirt Knocked looses as well ( then again I could be full of it).

Give me long lasting over effecient anyday, if I can get both in the same package I am over the moon though. Razz
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: F-ing washing machine.   F-ing washing machine. EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 12:21 am

I got a Whirlpool matching washer and dryer about 10 years ago. Nowhere near the top of the line, but I count them among the best purchases I've made. Not one problem ever. Hell, I'd rather give up one of my trumpets than one of those!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: F-ing washing machine.   F-ing washing machine. EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 1:45 am

ya its a old whirlpool from what i can get from the serial number it is 1979 if my research is correct.
Back to top Go down
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: F-ing washing machine.   F-ing washing machine. EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 11:14 am

I'd fix that one if you can. New ones are not built like the old ones. We have side loader we bought 5 years ago to accommodate my 3 teenage boys and now the seal leaks. My folks had a kenmore for 40 years then replaced them, only to replace that after 5 years. Their latest set is about 5 years so I'm sure it is time for the built to fail time is up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: F-ing washing machine.   F-ing washing machine. EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 12:57 pm

F-ing washing machine. Washboard%26tubII

No belts on this setup. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

PostSubject: Re: F-ing washing machine.   F-ing washing machine. EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 12:59 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
F-ing washing machine. Washboard%26tubII

No belts on this setup. Cool

Those are only allowed to be used in Nevada. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: F-ing washing machine.   F-ing washing machine. EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 1:03 pm

monbla256 wrote:

With what water? scratch Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

PostSubject: Re: F-ing washing machine.   F-ing washing machine. EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 1:14 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

With what water? scratch Laughing

Cool

Good point Laughing That's why ya can't use normal washing machine Razz From what I understand, ya'll just hang the clothes on the line and let the wind and sand clean 'em ? Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: F-ing washing machine.   F-ing washing machine. EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Pfff. That's for the rich folk.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: F-ing washing machine.   F-ing washing machine. EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 1:27 pm

Still running a Maytag washer and dryer I got in '90. Had minimal issues with them, just some belts and such as well as a burned out element on the electric dryer.

This replaced an old Maytag washer from the 60's I got used and never gave me a lick of problems.

So ya, I'm happy with Maytags.

Cheers,

RR

F-ing washing machine. Purple11x 2F-ing washing machine. Bombx10  F-ing washing machine. Bombx3F-ing washing machine. D6bddf10 F-ing washing machine. 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
DGErwin11

DGErwin11

Registration date : 2012-05-20

PostSubject: Re: F-ing washing machine.   F-ing washing machine. EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 12:47 pm

I had to replace mine a month or so back. I settled on a basic Roper that Lowe's had for about $400.00. Then the salesman asked if I would be interested in one that had a bent panel, but all mechanical parts in good shape. Same machine I wanted, brand new, full warranty, $300.00. SOLD!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://DGEHandmadePipes.com
flytyer

flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: F-ing washing machine.   F-ing washing machine. EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 1:34 pm

Ive repaired my 20 plus year old Whirlpool several times, finally the washer got to a point where it wasnt worth fixing the parts were too much,at that point I had to buy new,what sucks about it is they dont make them like they used too...all plastic electronic lightweight machines that are made to last half the time the older models did.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: F-ing washing machine.   F-ing washing machine. EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 1:35 pm

I replaced the timer on ours a few years ago for around $10. Google washing machine repair, there was a site that detailed all the common repairs to name brands with a great parts resource. The belt sounds like an easily ordered part.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

PostSubject: Re: F-ing washing machine.   F-ing washing machine. EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 1:38 pm

I'm fortunate to live in an area where there are bout 4/5 used appliance/parts stores so I've been able to keep my old units going. If you've got a shop like that near you, going used/older unit might be an economically feasable thing Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: F-ing washing machine.   F-ing washing machine. EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 1:41 pm

Here is that repair site, save your hard earned $$ for pipes and tobacco!

http://www.repairclinic.com/Washing-Machine-Top-Load-Maytag-Style-Appliance-Diagram
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fungunner

fungunner

Registration date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: F-ing washing machine.   F-ing washing machine. EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 6:25 pm

Go to one of the HVAC supply stores in your area and ask for a browing V belt. HVAC V belts are built a little tougher than what you might find in other places because they are designed to handle a higher torque range than a automotive or lawn equipment type. I've used V belts from a auto parts store but only till I can get a power transmission type belt from a AC parts store.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TonyS

TonyS

Registration date : 2012-09-12

PostSubject: Re: F-ing washing machine.   F-ing washing machine. EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 9:44 am

i.keenum wrote:
I like to work on things like that but control boards or whatever controls the timing seems off and and that doesn't seem a part ill just be able to get a the hardware store. I'm not too worried about energy effecient. I need a spindle to agitate the clothes really well ( two year old potty training) because I hear the spindleless HE ones don't get dirt Knocked looses as well ( then again I could be full of it).

Yep, sounds like a controller or relay issue or some type. I went thru this with my Mom's washer years ago. I searched the boards and Consumer Reports("CR") and wound up with a Fisher & Paykel top loader. 7 years later and still going strong. Highly recommended. I'm not a big believer in CR but I do see what they have to say and rate as the best before I go appliance hunting. Good luck in your hunt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

F-ing washing machine.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: Life Events-
Jump to: