HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

B of B APP

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
desertpiper

Registration date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: B of B APP   Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:30 pm

I was sitting on my porch last night enjoying a pipe when I decided to check up on BOB. I was thinking this would be a good time to add to the "what are you smoking now" page. I was using my phone to check things out and noticed that I couldn't post a comment. So my question and suggestion is: Is there someone out there who could make a BOB app. It would be nice to make comments on BOB when no computer is available.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: B of B APP   Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:45 pm

That's a wonderful idea, wonder why no one had thought of it before...
Get started and let us know when you think it will be.finished so we can all enjoy.it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: B of B APP   Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:49 pm

The mobile site doesn't allow posts, at least I haven't figured out how to do it. I generally click the link at the bottom of the page to see the classic site and post from my phone that way.

I think what has kept integration with tapatalk or simliar apps is the lack of access to the required areas of the servers. Since BoB is hosted on forummotion, there are limitations. On the plus side, its cheap to host.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: B of B APP   Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:49 pm

Oh and by the way, I've been browsing BoB almost exclusively on a phone since its creation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
desertpiper

PostSubject: Re: B of B APP   Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:50 pm

I have no idea how to create an app or even what's involved. I'm kind of hoping there is someone out there in our community that has the knowledge and expertise to do this. At least point us in the right direction.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: B of B APP   Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:58 pm

Forumotion won't release the API to communicate with their software/servers. We are SOL unless we want to throw every post BoB down the ole pooper and start over on another server.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
desertpiper

PostSubject: Re: B of B APP   Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:04 pm

Well it was a thought, and a dam good one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: B of B APP   Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:18 pm

LOL... Yeah buddy. You, me, and a thousand other members have had the same idea.. lol

It goes back to BoB's root.. IT was supposed to be a temporary bomb shelter for members of The Knox Cigar Company's forum (which ironically was 99% pipe smokers). Not much thought was given into futurizing or much of anything besides getting someplace up and in a hurry so the Knoxers wouldn't be homeless. By the time it was realized that it was it's own growing community it was really to late to go back and do anything to 'fix' the problem. Now we are pretty much stuck with what we have.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: B of B APP   Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:31 pm

My phone sucks, posting here would simply not be able to happen even with the best of apps. I feel for ya, Peeb. As I said before, you have my respect doing as you do around here from your phone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
desertpiper

PostSubject: Re: B of B APP   Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:35 pm

What about something that ran parallel to bob. Not really connected but something that bob members could post on the fly, for mobile devices only. Like BOB mobile. A stripped down version.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: B of B APP   Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:06 pm

I have neither the interest in a mobile app, nor the ability/knowledge to help create one, but for the sake for conversation, I'd have to imagine that there exists some way to shuffle the content of the existing board to a different host; I would have to think that it'd be possible to migrate to a new mobile-friendly system without having to scrap everything that's saved here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: B of B APP   Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:35 am

I can read/comment with my Android, using the browser, but don't use that very often.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
desertpiper

PostSubject: Re: B of B APP   Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:55 am

I can read comment, haven't tried to comment on existing posts. But I can't add or create a post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: B of B APP   Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:44 am

Replying from my phone now. You have to chose "classicversion", which then functions just like on a desktop/laptop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: B of B APP   Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:51 am

gravel wrote:
The mobile site doesn't allow posts, at least I haven't figured out how to do it. I generally click the link at the bottom of the page to see the classic site and post from my phone that way.

Quoting the above to emphasize what riff raff mentioned. Most of the posting I do is from my phone using the classic site link.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: B of B APP   Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:04 pm

idbowman wrote:
I have neither the interest in a mobile app, nor the ability/knowledge to help create one, but for the sake for conversation, I'd have to imagine that there exists some way to shuffle the content of the existing board to a different host; I would have to think that it'd be possible to migrate to a new mobile-friendly system without having to scrap everything that's saved here.

Yeah, would be easy to do if we had the Db... But we don't. It can be done by converting forumotion -> phpBB3 -> MyBB but you lose ALL PASSWORDS, ALL ATTATCHMENTS, and as often as not you keep the topics but the topics are empty.
Trust me, I've tried.. The risk/reward doesn't equal out.

The easy solution for mobile members is whats been stated and what I use. Scroll all the way to the bottom of your page and click 'classic view' then you can post normally.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: B of B APP   Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:01 pm

puros_bran wrote:
idbowman wrote:

Yeah, would be easy to do if we had the Db... But we don't. It can be done by converting forumotion -> phpBB3 -> MyBB but you lose ALL PASSWORDS, ALL ATTATCHMENTS, and as often as not you keep the topics but the topics are empty.
Trust me, I've tried.. The risk/reward doesn't equal out.

The easy solution for mobile members is whats been stated and what I use. Scroll all the way to the bottom of your page and click 'classic view' then you can post normally.

Most of that just made a whistling noise as it flew right over my head. I'm happy to take your word for it and call it a day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

B of B APP
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: Community In Action-
Jump to: