HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:40 am

I recently became dimly aware of this new American... (fad? icon?) thing, and I genuinely do not understand it.

Like looking at a car accident, I knew I should just turn away, but my brain could not grasp what it was seeing. So she's a kid / beauty queen(?!?!) / cultural phenomenon / TV star? Do people really enjoy watching her, or do they watch her ironically? Is it popular in the way Jerry Springer was, allowing viewers to judge and feel superior?

I read that compared to the CNN coverage, she had equal ratings to Bill Clinton's Speech in the Democratic convention. On the one hand, a thoroughly unpleasant child hyped up on sugar and caffeine, on the other one of the most popular leaders of the free world talking about issues that inform the future of the USA. Whaaa? Nope, I don't get it.

Exhibit A:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:11 am

I have no idea what you are talking about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:18 am

America is truly the land of opportunity. lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:38 am

Greyson wrote:

Like looking at a car accident, I knew I should just turn away, but my brain could not grasp what it was seeing.

America has always had oddity as entertainment, this is a new form of that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:35 am

Yes indeed folks, this way to the egress! As H.L. Menken said “Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
scotties22

Registration date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:42 am

I watched one eposide of that show and wanted to cause physical harm to every mother on it. HOW DARE THEY do that to their little girls. Just because they weren't beauty queens when they were little it's their life mission to mess up their kids??? I was in a beauty pagent when I was 5. It was decided by who raised the most money around town, no by who dressed like a prostitute and could dance the best (worst, depending on your point of view)....Boy, have times changed

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of good that comes from pagents...scholarship money, travel and things of that nature. But what is being done to these little girls is horrible. This little thing is the light of my life and I would NEVER even think about subjecting her to something like that. Off the soap box now.....

My daughter Dillan and son Shane.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ladybriar.com
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:04 pm

Those are some great lookin' kids, Calamity!

I also have absolutely no idea what the Honey boo boo kid thing is about. Never seen or heard of the TV show, but apparently about child pageants? I've got to agree, kids don't need to be sexualized when they're 5. Shameful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:04 pm

All I know is that the mother is referred to as "The Human Thumb."

What is being passed off as entertainment these days is absolutely shameful. I have two young daughters 4 and 7 and I would never allow anyone to subject them to the three ring circus act of child pageantry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotties22

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:21 pm

The show is Toddlers and Tiaras...I don't remember what channel it is on. Honey boo boo child is actually this little girls stage name (from The Human Thumb can we expect anything else) She lets her kid drink Red Bull mixed with Mountain Due and calls it something like GoGo Juice (No, I'm not kidding).....TURRIBLE, just turrible.
Back to top Go down
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:34 pm

scotties22 wrote:
The show is Toddlers and Tiaras...I don't remember what channel it is on. Honey boo boo child is actually this little girls stage name (from The Human Thumb can we expect anything else) She lets her kid drink Red Bull mixed with Mountain Due and calls it something like GoGo Juice (No, I'm not kidding).....TURRIBLE, just turrible.

I'm ashamed to know this, but Honey Boo Boo started on Toddlers and Tiara's, but now she and her mother now have their own show. I've never watched either show, but I've taken a look at some Youtube clips - ugh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotties22

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:40 pm

OH MY.......I didn't know she had her own show now.
Back to top Go down
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:12 pm

idbowman wrote:
I'm ashamed to know this, but Honey Boo Boo started on Toddlers and Tiara's, but now she and her mother now have their own show. I've never watched either show, but I've taken a look at some Youtube clips - ugh.

LMAO your shame is justified, and funny. Very brave of you to admit it brother! Yeah, the snippets I'd heard talked about her having her own show, so I assumed she must be fairly popular over there.

Your kids look happy and well adjusted Scottie, looks like you're doing a fine job.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:53 pm

This makes me so happy I only watch the History channel, ESPN, and the news.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:06 pm

I just look at sh*t like that, shake my head and say, "The apocalypse is really going to hurt for some people."

Chalk one up for me for not watching television.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:25 pm

If it wasn't for the internet connection I would dump my cable tv. Hell you can take my tv's if you want.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://geoffcorey.github.io
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:42 pm

No idea about this Andy. But there again I don't watch mainstream TV shows.

Pretty much just the local news and weather, and the Discovery Channel. That's it!

Suspect

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Wayne_Teipen

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:46 pm

The gals at work were talking about this last week. Up until then, I was totally unaware. Out of curiosity I looked it up on YouTube and as a result I lost 20 IQ points. All I can say now is "You better redneckinize!" UGH!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://teipenpipes.com
PeterD

Registration date : 2012-06-04

PostSubject: Honery boo boo child...   Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:54 pm

...Pure rubbish...I watched a news clip on this child and mother on ABC....For the life of me...I can't grasp why a parent would subject a child of any age to this...Oh well, to each his own I guess...but it sure says a lot about "cultural values" in this world...perhaps more specifically, about some parents... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
christeaux

Registration date : 2011-12-09

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:34 pm

My little girl turns one in two weeks, and if any one ever got her some stepins like that I am going to tear their throats out.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:26 pm

christeaux wrote:
My little girl turns one in two weeks, and if any one ever got her some stepins like that I am going to tear their throats out.

Good on ya!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:39 pm

Call me ignorant, and I'm but why did everyone start posting pictures of their own children after seeing/reading this...pageant kid (or whatever it's called) story? Is it kind of like when someone posts a picture of an abused dog they feel bad for everyone makes themselves feel better by posting taken-care of dogs? I've seen that on animal forums. Or is it a contest to see who has a better child? I really just wondering, not criticizing or telling anyone how to raise babies or any of that--as if I'd know.

Asking a genuine question above (so please don't take offense, I know people get pretty upset if you even look at their kids the wrong way, hence my repeated eggshell walking), because the whole child-rearing thing is substantially Martian to me (not a hobby I could get into), but I do like learning about people's reasons and thoughts. I figured I'd ask among friends.

Wow, that wasn't a awkward way of approaching that at all. Neutral

*sigh*

Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotties22

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:26 pm

No offense taken, Kyle. Posting pictures of my kids was just my vain attempt to let you all in to my life a little. If we were having this conversation face to face you would know my kids and know who I was talking about. Just trying to take the "distance" out of this brotherhood a bit.....
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:46 pm

Perhaps...or not...I'm pretty terrified of (and terrible with) children. Laughing All I know universally is to clean up my language when they start scampering around. Then I try and find a place where piercing screams aren't causing my ears pain (part of the fear, honestly).

I think you all here know more about me than a vast majority of the people I know in person. So, that makes sense. People sharing their lives. I don't do that so much. If these walls were dollars... lol!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:50 pm

Honey Boo Boo's mom oughta be put in jail. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotties22

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:51 pm

Yeah, kids are like cats. They find the one person in the room that doesn't like, or want, them and then won't leave them alone.

All-in-all I tend to overshare...maybe it's a girl thing Very Happy
Back to top Go down

What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next