HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Stung!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Stung!   Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:09 pm

My arm's swollen like a mutha Mad Got off work at 7 am saturday morning and was putting my stuff in my trunk when all of a sudden I felt a stabbing pain in my right forearm. Looked down and there's some little friggin bug burying his ass end in my skin. I splatted the little bastard and moved on. There was a welt, a little burn, no biggie. Then, about 6 hours later, my arm started turning red and swelling up. I shrugged it off, it'll get better. Next morning, not better. Worse, much worse. Redness running half way to my wrist, skin is hot, swollen. Wife gets me some benadryl but it doesn't do anything but make me sleep through half the football game I was watching. So, this morning I have to take off work to see the doctor. I got some sort of nasty infection from the bite. It wasn't the poison (although that contributed to the suffering) but the sting itself that caused a skin infection. 10 days of Keflex antibiotics.

I'm gonna go smoosh me some bugs now.....

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Stung!   Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:55 pm

Man that sucks. Any idea of what particular insect it might have been?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Stung!   Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:34 pm

Some kind of little wasp I suppose. Looked kind of like a bee but too small to be a bee, had bee color but solid, not mottled, wings were closer to black than a honey bee wing.

Freakin arm eatin demon from the depths of hell bug, that's what it was. I smooshed him like that's what he was too. Smile

scotties22

Registration date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Stung!   Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:53 pm

Sounds like a little hornet or maybe some little paper wasp. Red Wasps are the worst. They feel like you've been hit with a baseball bat and then they just keep coming. When I was 16 I got tagged four times in the back of the head walking down some stairs......well I made it down the first three on my feet, fell the rest of the way down.

Hope your arm gets better soon. Bugs suck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ladybriar.com
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Stung!   Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:19 pm

Interesting article on the pain index of insect stings -

http://scienceblogs.com/retrospectacle/2007/05/16/schmidt-pain-index-which-sting/

Worst sting I ever had was from a honey bee. Thankfully there are no Pepsis Wasps or Bullet Ants in California. I believe Bullet Ants are only found in South America. Paper wasp stings do rate pretty damn high on the scale though, and only females sting. Go figure. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dock
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Stung!   Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:27 pm

Do you guys have "west nile" out there? These nasty mosquitos carry this neat disease that can actually kill you (if you're elderly or very young anyway) It just makes you very sick if you're in otherwise good health...
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Stung!   Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:03 pm

Dock wrote:
Do you guys have "west nile" out there? These nasty mosquitos carry this neat disease that can actually kill you (if you're elderly or very young anyway) It just makes you very sick if you're in otherwise good health...

Oh yeah. I live just outside Sacramento to the northwest. My town is surrounded by land used for agriculture. On quite a bit of it they're growing rice. There have been several reported cases of West Nile this year, so many that for two nights straight we had planes flying over us spraying us with insecticide in an effort to keep the mosquito populations down. Unfortunately whatever they use also kills bees, fish, dragonflies, preying mantis, spiders and a whole slew of other beneficial insects. Either way I do not go outside at night without some type of repellent on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Stung!   Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:13 pm

We have west nile here, the disease is normally tansmitted through mosquitos and affects birds, some farm animals and occasionally humans. I remember the warnings from the state not too many years ago, and the requests to call a number and report dead birds found so biologists could come gather the birds for testing.

Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Stung!   Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:13 pm

One of my sisters-in-law lost her mother-in-law to West Nile.

Meat tenderizer works on stings pretty good, so I am told. Of course, when you smoosh their innards into the sting site, you probably need to clean it with hydrogen peroxide first.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Stung!   Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:12 pm

For your sake, PeeDee, I hope you feel better.

For my sake, I hope a bunch of little alien larvae burst out of your arm and start some hostile extra terrestrial takeover. That'd be cool.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dock
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Stung!   Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:14 pm

It's clear now that the insects are taking over. Let the day of "Mothman's" reign come now Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry

PostSubject: Re: Stung!   Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:40 pm

affraid

What a Face

cat cat cat cat cat cat cat
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Stung!   Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:40 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
?..I hope a bunch of little alien larvae burst out of your arm and start some hostile extra terrestrial takeover. That'd be cool.

Cool

Cool? I'll pick the little bastards out one by one and sprinkle their smooshed corpses into some tobacco, then send it to you. Now That would be cool, watching you go all halucinogenic off some alien bug corpse laced pipeweed.

Wha happened to Kyle?

Oh, he went out on the porch and smoked a roach Smile

Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Stung!   Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:54 pm

Hey, I'd rather smoke a pipe with a space alien than smoke a pipe stuffed with one, but I'll take what I can get. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Stung!   Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:49 pm

Fear the Velvet Ant. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Stung!   Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:11 pm

Looks like if that bit you, you'd have to develop a secret life as a crime fighter. Or die. Probably die.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Stung!   Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:20 pm

Die while fighting crime in your underwear.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Stung!   Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:45 am

Do velvets bite? I've handled them and not been bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Stung!   Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:17 pm

Probably, might take smoking it though. Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Stung!   Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:36 pm

Phhhhhhhh Razz