HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A little cob work

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jbrown287

Registration date : 2012-09-11

PostSubject: A little cob work   Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:57 pm

I bought a MM country gentlemen and noticed the cob was rather soft under the sticker so I proceeded to make it a hard wood plug. I have one other pipe that I plan on doing this to, after I smoke the cg and make sure nothing is wrong with it from my handy work. Here are a few pics of the process.

After I had opened the hole up and cut the dowel for the plug

Plug glued in. Starting the drying process.

Plug in and dried about 24hours.

Had a little lip on the plug.

Knocked it off with some sandpaper and finished it smooth with some fine grit.

All the material cost about $18.00, mainly because I had no sandpaper and no wood glue. The rod was only a few bucks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: A little cob work   Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:26 pm

Well done, thanks for the pics of the process. Did you get any glue actually into the bowl, and if so what do you do about it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jbrown287

PostSubject: Re: A little cob work   Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:16 pm

It didn't get any glue in the bowl. The shank is huge and I think that probably helped a little. The wood glue can be sanded so I would have probably just used a small file on it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Soshae

Registration date : 2011-08-19

PostSubject: Re: A little cob work   Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:07 pm

Quote :
All the material cost about $18.00

To each his own, but a new Country Gentleman is less than $10.00. The modified one will last longer but I treat the cobs as disposable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: A little cob work   Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:13 pm

kaiser83 wrote:
Well done, thanks for the pics of the process. Did you get any glue actually into the bowl, and if so what do you do about it?

Ironically, MM uses a glue that is very similar to Elmer's White Glue when they glue the stem into the bowl. Being food safe, I wouldn't worry about it. You know MM doesn't sand/clean out each of the 3,000+ pipes they make per day.

I used Elmer's Carpenters Wood Glue on mine, but I already had it on hand.

Nice job, Brother! The hardwood bottom does make a difference in the life of the Cob. The softer bottom is easy to scrape away when the stem burns back with use. It happens when you scrape out the bowl with a pipe nail.

If you prefer to not modify your Cob but want a protective layer on top of the soft filler, a good layer of Cob Mud will outlast the rest of the pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jbrown287

PostSubject: Re: A little cob work   Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:29 pm

To each his own, but a new Country Gentleman is less than $10.00. The modified one will last longer but I treat the cobs as disposable.[/quote]

Yeah I realize I spent more on material than the pipe. This pipe only cost me 7.99. But as I said I had no material that actually helped in doing this. Now I have enough material to probably do a 100 of them. So the next pipe will be done for free.

I used the elmers wood glue also. It was just a few cents more than the regular white elmers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: A little cob work   Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:31 pm

Well, look at it this way. You now have enough materials to modify a dozen Cobs or more. Since you've already purchased the materials, it won't cost you anything for future mods.

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jbrown287

PostSubject: Re: A little cob work   Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:35 pm

Rob_In_MO wrote:
Well, look at it this way. You now have enough materials to modify a dozen Cobs or more. Since you've already purchased the materials, it won't cost you anything for future mods.

cheers

Exactly Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

A little cob work
Page 1 of 1