HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

New (to me) savinelli 603 from ebay with loose bit. fixed?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
awoodby

Registration date : 2012-09-13

PostSubject: New (to me) savinelli 603 from ebay with loose bit. fixed?   Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:17 am

Hello all,

Got my Savinelli 603, bent smooth, in the post yesterday, and the bit slips right out, won't hold the pipe up. Did a little research, waxing the tenon didn't help noticeably, wiped it clean and put on nail polish.

The tenon has the metal spear thingy in it, so can't do the heat-up-and-expand thingy.

Seems snug today, had a bowl in it on the way to work. I'll watch for it to get TOO tight as it apparently expands from moisture/use.

Just some feedback on a procedure apparently working well, thanks everyone!

--alex
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipesbyjake

Registration date : 2012-11-08

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) savinelli 603 from ebay with loose bit. fixed?   Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:30 pm

That "metal spear", or stinger, should be very easy to remove -- it's just pressed into the bore, and can be removed gently with a pair of pliers. After that it's easy to do the heat and expand trick, or ideally heat it and stretch with a tapered point (good kit available from Pimo). After you're happy, just press your stinger back in (or leave it out; I personally remove the darned things from every pipe that comes across my bench).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.etsy.com/shop/pipesbyjake
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) savinelli 603 from ebay with loose bit. fixed?   Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:48 pm

pipesbyjake wrote:
That "metal spear", or stinger, should be very easy to remove -- it's just pressed into the bore, and can be removed gently with a pair of pliers. After that it's easy to do the heat and expand trick, or ideally heat it and stretch with a tapered point (good kit available from Pimo). After you're happy, just press your stinger back in (or leave it out; I personally remove the darned things from every pipe that comes across my bench).

I too have done this pretty often. +1
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
awoodby

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) savinelli 603 from ebay with loose bit. fixed?   Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:57 pm

I love the wide, flat bit of this pipe, but don't see how the stinger helps, at worst it sticks too far into the wider spit well and works like a sstraw, at best, maybe condenses smoke to make it drop humidity? (near as I can guess). I think i'll try pulling it out carefully, thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WnyPiper

Registration date : 2012-10-24

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) savinelli 603 from ebay with loose bit. fixed?   Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:24 pm

I would suggest not expanding the tenon via heat and press. i would also not put nail polish on it. The wax method is a good one. I would stick with that. The pipe may have not been smoked for some time now and the wood has to re settle. Smoking it regularly should fix this problem as the wood re swells and tightens back up around the bit.

[ edit ]

The wax may not tighten up the tennon RIGHT AWAY INSTANTLY fixing the whole thing. But it will create enough sticky friction for the stem not to spin around while the briar re swells and finds it comfortable place.

When dealing with these things ( it is my opinion ) I find that altering pieces of the pipe .... drilling, sanding, heating, expanding changes the entire dynamic of it and mostly not in a positive way.

This is not to say that I have not taken a drill bit and opened up the bore on a pipe in the past but that was done for other reasons than to try and fix something. I just like larger air holes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TonyS

Registration date : 2012-09-12

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) savinelli 603 from ebay with loose bit. fixed?   Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:04 pm

I bought a Sav that I neglected checking the tenon fit until I got home. It was surprisingly very loose and I don't know how the stem didn't come loose while I initially handled it. I applied a small bit of JB Weld to the face of the tenon shoulder, stuck the stem in and let it sit 24hours. JB Weld is supposed to be nontoxic when fully cured and rated to 500F. It's been good ever since. I can't see a reason to have to disassemble the pipe so for me this was a no-brainer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shootist51

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) savinelli 603 from ebay with loose bit. fixed?   Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:40 pm

Most of the time, just smoking the pipe will solve this problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WnyPiper

Registration date : 2012-10-24

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) savinelli 603 from ebay with loose bit. fixed?   Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:51 pm

shootist51 wrote:
Most of the time, just smoking the pipe will solve this problem.

^^ This ^^
Back to top Go down
View user profile
awoodby

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) savinelli 603 from ebay with loose bit. fixed?   Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:18 pm

I tried the nail polish thing lightly, the polish wore off about as the stem was swelling, and it fits nicely now. This one was VERY loose, like constantly falling apart while smoking loose!

So I um, third the "just smoke it"

I've also done this since with 2 other pipes, one estate someone had already tried superglue, which wore off (maybe in the oxyclean), I've smoked the pipe a couple of days and it too is tightening up.

Patience, right? We're pipe smokers, not cigarette smokers, patience!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) savinelli 603 from ebay with loose bit. fixed?   Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:59 pm

Yah, pipes like to be smoked.

In the meantime, while waiting, a simple temp fix is to take a piece of sturdy paper, wrap just a bit on the tenon and reassemble, trim the excess paper. Smoke it, checking now and then for expansion. Remove paper when appropriate. EZ.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
awoodby

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) savinelli 603 from ebay with loose bit. fixed?   Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:14 pm

Thanks, I'll try that. That second pipe just isn't tightening up yet, the paper trick sounds great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
williamcharles

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: New (to me) savinelli 603 from ebay with loose bit. fixed?   Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:57 pm

Some stingers are just pushed into a fitting that's fitted into the tenon. Even pulling the stinger on those won't allow you to expand the tenon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

New (to me) savinelli 603 from ebay with loose bit. fixed?
Page 1 of 1