HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

John Patton's Oriental Dusk

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:44 pm

gravel wrote:
I understood that burley blends don't benefit from aging. :/

Thanks a lot Gravel, way to pee in my Cheerios. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Soshae

Registration date : 2011-08-19

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:30 pm

It doesn't really matter if the age helps or not. I cannot smoke the TADs as fast as they hit me. The tobacco must age or else I will have the fire department called on me. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:03 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
There's disagreement on the benefit of aging Burley...but consider that there are a number of OTHER components in there with the Burley! They will benefit from aging.

That aspect just now kind of hit me as kaiser described his stash back home, aging away. It made me also thing of the Crossroads blend with it's 2 VA's, Izmir and Cigar Leaf...now THAT stuff has gotta age like a champ!

BTW: I just ordered a pound of Crossroads...got hit by, guess what...the price break issue. So the first halfer costs $23 plus flat rate shipping of $8 for a total of $34. That second halfer is just $14 more (that's only a buck seventy-five an ounce) - so it's CHEAP! RIGHT? And think about it...THAT'S the half that you'll be salting away in storage for the future so it's the INVESTMENT half...and therefore the half that likely TASTES THE BEST!!! It's the half that you'l 're-discover' after you get tired of it and then eventuially come back to it again. WOW!!! It's just too good a deal to pass up!

You're preaching to the choir, here, but I don't think She Who Must Be Obeyed would see the logic in that logic. Laughing By the by, I just tried that sample you generously sent me and after only two bowls, it's just about the best burley/cigar leaf blend I've ever smoked. Damn you, pusherman! Twisted Evil

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:37 pm

SEE!?!

First BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:42 pm

Blackhorse sent me a very generous sample of this one in his bomb to me and I have to admit that is is AWESOME. With the reviews of it on here I have been wanting to try it and BH read my mind before I ever thought it when he put it in for me. Smooth with no bite, just plain delicious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Soshae

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:25 pm

I hope to break open my 1 lb. "sample" in the next couple of days. It sure sounds like I am going to enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:30 pm

Got some that is now a few weeks old and it's ready to go.

Fast becoming one of my go-to blends.

drunken

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
J Soshae

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:13 pm

I am currently smoking my first bowl. When I first opened the bag the aroma reminded me of dipping tobacco. The previous reference to a chewing tobacco is probably the same.

The bowl started with an ammonia like flavor on the tongue. This went away quickly and the cigar flavor became more pronounced. The slight spiciness must be coming from the cigar leaf or the orientals? My initial inclination was a burley and cigar combination.

I am interested in blending this with something else in order to add a creaminess to it. Maybe it is my southern sweet tooth, but I am considering 25% 1-Q with 75% Oriental Dusk and see what it does.

Don't let my sweet nature knock this tobacco. I just like to add some sweet barbecue sauce to my sandwich.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:24 pm

I'd suggest that you give it a few weeks to 'settle in'. The blends I've gotten from 4N's have benefitted a greatr deal from even that small amount of 'melding time'. In two months it will seem like a totally different blend. Also, I'd be carefull to not add something very different in cut to the existing blend. Perhaps something like McClelland's Grey Havens would be better...or a sweet flake that you could rub to about the same consistency...like McClelland's 221b series, Honeydew. Just a few thoughts.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Soshae

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:45 pm

I should have enough to experience it at different ages. Wink

One of the reasons I prefer a pipe to a cigar is the "creaminess" often found with pipe tobaccos. It will be nice if a little age adds that aspect to this blend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:18 pm

Could you name 3 or 4 blends that you think exhibit that creaminess? I'm not sure I know just what you mean and if I or others here had a handle on it we might figure out what component gives that quality and suggest other blends that would fit your preference.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Soshae

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:34 pm

Smile I am sure it is probably Latakia. The Frog Morton Across The Pond has a full sweet barbecue nature. The "silkiness" of Penzance of course. Early Morning Pipe is good too.

Now the dilemma is which tobaccos come close to the silkiness of Latakias without over powering other flavors?

Red Rapparee is one I am trying to love but I do not think I am sold on orientals yet. I find myself enjoying Virginias and Latakias with a little burley as a side dish.

Also I like the hint of cigar in StormFront. The cigar seems a little stronger in Oriental Dusk unless the oriental tobaccos are just emphasizing the sharper nature of the cigar leaf.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Soshae

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:22 am

I just finished a cob full. I decided to try it in a cob with a filter. It seems the cob has quieted some of the spiciness. It has been a nice enjoyable smoke this morning. The nicotine level is just right for one sitting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:29 am

Comparitively...you would find 'Crossroads' less spicy and 'Dark Horse' more spicy. Just sayin'.

I'll be trying a new one soon...'Dehli Township'. While the name implies that this would be another one chock full of Orientals and Latakia, it's not. It's described as Stoved Virginia with lesser amounts of Burley, and 15% Perique makes for a slightly sweet, smoky blend.

It might be something you'd like. Descriptive statements include:

"This blend is a bit milder...the mix of stoved Virginia and burley works nicely with the Perique...a good, balanced flavor that...a nice break from heavier blends." and

"...there is a spicy tingle in the mouth...The perique is not strong...The percentage was just right for me. It's earthy, nutty and slightly salty on the palate...very pleasant. I did not get any sweetness from the stoved virgina but rather a darker fuller flavour making for a Smokey blend. When I was smoking this tobacco I had an urge to have a pint of dark ale..." and

"This is an interesting Virginia blend, with just the right dash of Perique for my tastes...no bite whatsoever...a nicely composed smoke with good mouth feel. My wife told me...the room note was "really nice", which is a definite plus."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
tiltjlp

Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:58 am

I named this one Delhi Township for the community I lived for over 35 years, and not for any more exotic location. Which might be why there weren't Orientals in the mix.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://corncobsandbriar.phpbb3now.com/
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:15 pm

I'm always on the prowl for an all-day blend that has full flavor, darker flavor, etc. and this one sounds like it might be a winner. I was thinking of 'adjusting' another blend, but went for this one instead with my mad money for this month.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:49 pm

Blackhorse wrote:

I'll be trying a new one soon...'Dehli Township'. While the name implies that this would be another one chock full of Orientals and Latakia, it's not. It's described as Stoved Virginia with lesser amounts of Burley, and 15% Perique makes for a slightly sweet, smoky blend.

It might be something you'd like. Descriptive statements include:

"This blend is a bit milder...the mix of stoved Virginia and burley works nicely with the Perique...a good, balanced flavor that...a nice break from heavier blends." and

"...there is a spicy tingle in the mouth...The perique is not strong...The percentage was just right for me. It's earthy, nutty and slightly salty on the palate...very pleasant. I did not get any sweetness from the stoved virgina but rather a darker fuller flavour making for a Smokey blend. When I was smoking this tobacco I had an urge to have a pint of dark ale..." and

"This is an interesting Virginia blend, with just the right dash of Perique for my tastes...no bite whatsoever...a nicely composed smoke with good mouth feel. My wife told me...the room note was "really nice", which is a definite plus."

Blackhorse wrote:
I'm always on the prowl for an all-day blend that has full flavor, darker flavor, etc. and this one sounds like it might be a winner. I was thinking of 'adjusting' another blend, but went for this one instead with my mad money for this month.

He's doing it again..........

geek

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:55 pm

Quote :
He's doing it again..........

Who...ME?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Soshae

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:47 am

I must avoid the Blackhorse threads. My wife and kids are not ready to move to a homeless shelter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:34 pm

Well, have to say OD has moved to the front of the line. Had another great experience with it today. And it's even not 2 weeks old!

Can see this becoming one of the go-to blends.

tongue

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:00 pm

Straight steering...that's my motto!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:09 pm

The first thing I wrote down in my notes when smoking Oriental Dusk was "Oh Mamma!"

Obviously some portions of my reviews are edited, but nonetheless I thought I'd share.

I like this blend a lot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:06 am

I've now smoked about a half-dozen bowls of OD. I've had a very hard time attuning to it because it's like nothing else I've smoked. I've thought about trading it but unless I really hate a blend that seems to be the easy way out. I think my answer is to keep smoking it until I understand better what I'm smoking.

Why do I find it so strange? First, I've never smoked a cigar blend, and apparently it is almost 25% cigar leaf; more Connecticut than maduro, I'd say. I don't taste depth; roundness, sure, I'll go with that. Second, the Orientals; I have almost no experience discriminating them from other tobaccos.

I find that I agree with just about everything others have said the about the blend, especially DrumsAndBeer's wonderful review. A very complex taste, overall solidly in the mid-to-high register, very melded, and in descending order:

spice
citrus
and right now that's it. There's far too much finely tuned complexity for me to go further

I'm now of the opinion that this is a very good and very unusual blend. Thanks to everyone for the recommend!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:15 am

See? The damn things get under your skin...but in a good way. I've read every review of his blends I'm sure...and easily the most common comment is that his blends defy classification. All I can say is...works for me!

It would be cool to see 4-N's do up a Patton sampler pack! Either a pick 4 thing or one ouce of O. Dusk, Crossroads, Darkhorse and Stormfront...something like that.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
tiltjlp

Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:52 pm

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
I've now smoked about a half-dozen bowls of OD. I've had a very hard time attuning to it because it's like nothing else I've smoked. I've thought about trading it but unless I really hate a blend that seems to be the easy way out. I think my answer is to keep smoking it until I understand better what I'm smoking.

Why do I find it so strange? First, I've never smoked a cigar blend, and apparently it is almost 25% cigar leaf; more Connecticut than maduro, I'd say. I don't taste depth; roundness, sure, I'll go with that. Second, the Orientals; I have almost no experience discriminating them from other tobaccos.

I find that I agree with just about everything others have said the about the blend, especially DrumsAndBeer's wonderful review. A very complex taste, overall solidly in the mid-to-high register, very melded, and in descending order:

spice
citrus
and right now that's it. There's far too much finely tuned complexity for me to go further

I'm now of the opinion that this is a very good and very unusual blend. Thanks to everyone for the recommend!

Stick with it, that’s how you educate yourself about all the different blends and tobaccos there are. And there’s only about 20% cigar leaf, which is actually Pennsylvania Maduro. And wouldn’t it get boring if all blends reminded you of each other?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://corncobsandbriar.phpbb3now.com/

John Patton's Oriental Dusk
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next