HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

John Patton's Oriental Dusk

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:20 pm

OD has been traveling with me lately, as the cobs have been my choice for "field pipes." It's a very tolerant blend, if you are moving around, driving with the windows down and jetting down the highway at 80MPH, it's just not very fussy. I like it a lot. Smile

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:38 pm

Ky;e wrote:

Quote :
It's a very tolerant blend

Indeed! This is one of the many reasons I favor John's blends. They come at the right dryness, they are easy to load and have excellent manners 'down the bowl' and perform well in almost all pipes...a MM Freehand being a favorite. Maybe because I can stuff so much tobacco in one!

The newly offered 'Darkhorse' has become a real favorite as well. If you take the spicy character of Oriental Dusk up a notch, that's where Darkhorse is for me. And it's counterpart, 'Soulmate's Kiss' (using the original Latakia formula instead of replacing it with Cigar Leaf), is also a winner!

When I look back at 2012 on New Year's Day and ponder all the good things that happened during the year...finding these blends and having more of them offered will absolutely be among the high points.

Founding BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
BoB Bombers Squadron Reserve CoCommander reactivated. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:17 pm

Quote :
tiltjp wrote: Stick with it, that’s how you educate yourself about all the different blends and tobaccos there are. And there’s only about 20% cigar leaf, which is actually Pennsylvania Maduro. And wouldn’t it get boring if all blends reminded you of each other?

Most definitely, this is a horizon-broadening blend, and certainly I would like to know more. Maduro. . .I thought I knew that taste. Smoked enough of them; must be combining with the Orientals and thus very changed?

It is boring to smoke everything minus OD. I'm so used to tasting burley, VA and latakia.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:18 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
See? The damn things get under your skin...but in a good way. I've read every review of his blends I'm sure...and easily the most common comment is that his blends defy classification. All I can say is...works for me!

It would be cool to see 4-N's do up a Patton sampler pack! Either a pick 4 thing or one ouce of O. Dusk, Crossroads, Darkhorse and Stormfront...something like that.

An outstanding idea BH. This would clearly benefit those who wanted to sample a range of these fine tobys.

All I can say about OD at this point is that it's taken over as a daily driver for my after supper bowl. And displacing the prior regular of P&W #78 or Churchill really says something to me, at least!

geek

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
femur

Registration date : 2012-05-07

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:45 pm

Just tried my first bowl of OD. Made my day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:02 pm

I've smoked about 2 oz and must say that this tobacco never fails to please, and the novelty and craft of this blend is like nothing I've tasted before. Like Escudo, I feel it will have a permanent place in my cellar. I recently bought a pound of OD.

I want to say that the high-end note of the oriental tastes like mint. But it is intertwined so skillfully with the burley and cigar that it has just enough of a darkened tone. Though the blend is 20% Pennsylvania maduro, I taste the cigar more like the CC El Rey del Mundo coronas that I was smoking last spring, more medium and spicy than the vast majority of the rich and deep spice of Nicaraguan tobacco. For me the cigar is suggestive compared to the bold tones of cigar in Billy Budd. The blend notes say that this is an oriental/cigar blend; I would say oriental, with the skillful addition of cigar.

Who smokes all day? Yet the comment that this or that tobacco could be an all day smoke is often made. If I smoked all day, OD would be more than satisfactory; but its novelty and craft would keep intruding on my tasks, clamoring to be savored.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:28 pm

The note of "mint" probably is coming a little bit off the Burley and the cigar leaf. I notice this same fleeting sub-flavor in C&D Billy Budd at times, once the Latakia has mellowed out after half a bowl. Oriental Dusk is not minty, just to clarify for others, but sometimes certain leaf, by itself or with others, puts a very faint bit of flavor on the extreme edges of the palate. I still think very highly of Oriental Dusk, and really need to get a sizable stash of the stuff put away.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:25 pm

Funny, I just had a bowl of OD this morning. No mint and no cigar - the Turkish and Burley being the forward notes. Depending on the day and the time I either go for OD or Crossroads as my blend of choice. Other of his blends have been filling in the cracks - and I've even found 3 with very subtle touches of Latakia that have been adopted...much to my surprise. I seldom smoke blends other than his any longer. They all seem to have a sort of family resemblance, which is a good thing.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:06 pm

I've been pretty much hooked on OD, Crossroads, and a few other tiltjp blends these days. And of course the "Darkhorse" blend has been figuring large into the rotation as well.

The moisture content is just perfect for "lock-and-load". Really appreciate that.

Right now I'm seeing if Rich can blend up some of the Cigar Royal and Cathy's Clown.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
tiltjlp

Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:50 am

Thanks again for all the kind comments. If I didn't know I was a bum I could easily get a swelled head.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://corncobsandbriar.phpbb3now.com/
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:29 am

tiltjlp wrote:
If I didn't know I was a bum I could easily get a swelled head.

That's the first time you've made me chuckle, JP. Laughing Meanwhile, enjoy the praise, you earned it.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:28 am

Last November when I read DrumsAndBeer's great review of this tobacco, I bought some; bought more quickly, again in December and again in January. To my tastes, and I know this is vague, I taste fully but my translator lacks words, my best smokes were in November and December. The Oriental tobacco combined with the others to produce an elegant, clearly defined complexity; that is, I could taste the elements more separately than in other so-called complex tobaccos. I loved this separate, spare, elegance as well as what to me was a unique taste, not having smoked many Orientals.

The tobacco dropped from my rotation in January as I was smoking maybe once a day and preferred an HO for my only smoke. The order I received from Rich at 4noggins then tasted differently as he was using a new tobacco. I still liked it very much but it was no longer stellar. When I decided to smoke more lately I thought to get back to the stellar version and opened a jar from November, but time has now altered it such that it smokes much more like the version with the new tobacco.

I still love it, but I am no longer enraptured:).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:48 am

Sad What a sad story. Sad

I still include this blend as one of my top three and would gladly name it as my all time favorite.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:49 am

Blackhorse wrote:
Sad What a sad story. Sad

I still include this blend as one of my top three and would gladly name it as my all time favorite.

There was a generous portion of OD included when I was bombed last week. It was the one blend I chose to keep out for immediate smoking - holy smokes this is really, really amazing stuff. There are a lot of blends that I like, and there is a small handful of blends (maybe 3-5) that I find to be great and that I always return to. OD is mindblowingly good. Granted, I'm only three bowls, in and more will have be ordered before I can honestly say it ends up falling into the second category, but I cannot imagine a world in which I don't keep this in my regular rotation. The way the Turkish (I assume it's Turkish, anyway) ebbs and flows throughout the bowl is something that I really dig - sort of the same way Izmir behaves in GLP's Embarcadero (one of those other blends I can't get enough of).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:55 am

Izmir...Smyrna...Turkish...same-same.

That's what you're tasting all right.

To me it's the characteristic Patton profile with all that other stuff bouncing around in there. Oh...and that it tastes good.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
tiltjlp

Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:24 pm

The interesting thing is that it doesn't take very long for tobacco to begin aging. which means changing. The fact that I add nothing to my blends beyond with the supplier used to processs the individual tobacco might possibly speed up aging. I hope you all find that my blends are all enjoyable as they progress through their aging process.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://corncobsandbriar.phpbb3now.com/
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:50 pm

I'm just really pleased that I find them so enjoyable fresh out of the mixing bowl without having to wait a year or two. I also enjoy them aged but rarely seem to have them long enough to see what that would be like. Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:39 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
I'm just really pleased that I find them so enjoyable fresh out of the mixing bowl without having to wait a year or two.

Me too. Reminds me of how enjoyable Steven Books's tobaccos are right when you get them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:20 pm

Given my current taste preferences (and as we all know these dash and frisk around capriciously like a Spring pony) I could very easily be satisfied with a trio from JP as my only blends...being Crossroads, Oriental Dusk and Storm Front. Heck, the names alone make me happy.

Of course I would somewhat mourn the loss of that occasional blast of Gawithian brutality. Sort of a 'when you' re slapped you'll take it and you'll like it' kinda thing.

But with the trio above it's like dating hottie triplets...each one is sufficient unto herself to provide complete satisfaction, but if coordinated end to end in succession they provide never ending refreshment. Use them and abuse them in the order given.

Note: smoker need not be wearing a beater shirt for full enjoyment

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:03 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
I'm just really pleased that I find them so enjoyable fresh out of the mixing bowl without having to wait a year or two. I also enjoy them aged but rarely seem to have them long enough to see what that would be like. Laughing

Hear, hear. Ya done good, JP.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:30 pm

idbowman wrote:

It was the one blend I chose to keep out for immediate smoking - holy smokes this is really, really amazing stuff.

I know, right? I barely like Crossroads more than this, but its real close.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:39 pm

If you like O. Dusk so much you should try Dark Horse. It's close, but a little deeper and darker. Or...just keep going with the O. DUSK...no point arguing with a winner. I like it fresh so much I usually order by the half pound when I'm at the 1 oz. mark and mix the two. But then, the cost for the pounder is so good...Hmmm.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
femur

Registration date : 2012-05-07

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Wed May 01, 2013 7:21 pm

Dark Horse may be my favorite blend right now. I can't stop smoking it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Wed May 01, 2013 8:51 pm

Oriental Dusk, Crossroads, Storm Front, Dark Horse, plus Cool Hand Luke, Virginia Squire, Quad VA, Cathy's Clown, and one or two others are all winners afaic.

Did I mention I like tiltjp blends?

Very Happy

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: John Patton's Oriental Dusk   Wed May 01, 2013 10:08 pm

Wow! Shocked

And I thought I was a fan. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile

John Patton's Oriental Dusk
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next