Earl Grey Drinkers

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Harlock999

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earl Grey Drinkers   Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 4:17 pm

There is something very ”Earl Grey-ish” about
Twinings Earl Grey, in the same way that there is something
unmistakeably ”English Blend-ish” about Nightcap.
I could drive myself crazy searching for finer, more esoteric examples
of each, but I don't find it necessary. Both are perfectly serviceable, and
satisfying.
And together, they are the cornerstones of my
morning ritual.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Earl Grey Drinkers   Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 10:13 pm

The wife and I were in World Market this evening and I spotted a large tin of Twinings Earl Grey loose leaf, so I glommed onto it. Smells great! Will be my morning cup tomorrow, looking forward to it. Thanks for the tip boys Wink

Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Earl Grey Drinkers   Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 7:52 am

Hmmm, so. Interesting. First cup. My initial sniff of the brewed tea was a flashback to mom using Lemon Pledge on the china hutch when I was a kid. I'm getting an initial taste of Lemon Pledge, but it could just be my flashback hanging around. Not necessarily a bad thing, haven't enjoyed a good flashback since the 70's Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 710492 . The bergamot and the black tea work well together, slightly malty, citrus impression without being too citrussy, sometimes mild chocolate with blood orange comes to mind. This is a palate waker upper for sure, I can see why people like it for a morning cup. Gets the mouth salivating, not dry. I'd not connect drinking this while smoking a heavy latakia laced English blend, but then I guess I'd have to try it and see, as you never know. It's good, quite unusual. Not like any crappy Earl Grey in a bag shidt I've had before, not at all. This is totally unique and seemingly unrelated to that stuff. I'm gonna groove on this stuff for a few days and get back to ya Cool

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Earl Grey Drinkers   Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 8:07 pm

Harlock999 wrote:
There is something very ”Earl Grey-ish” about
Twinings Earl Grey, in the same way that there is something
unmistakeably ”English Blend-ish” about Nightcap.
I could drive myself crazy searching for finer, more esoteric examples
of each, but I don't find it necessary. Both are perfectly serviceable, and
satisfying.
And together, they are the cornerstones of my
morning ritual.

Cheers!

My sentiments exactly. I had a cup Saturday morning and it was very satisfying. I still like it better than anything else I have had so far. Including a few that I just recently sampled Taylors of Harrogath, and Harney & Son.

Puff Daddy wrote:
Not like any crappy Earl Grey in a bag shidt I've had before, not at all.

Totally. The Twinings EG tea bag version isn't even the deranged cousin of the Loose Leaf variety. Razz Totally different product.
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Earl Grey Drinkers   Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 9:04 pm

I've been drinking the Twinings EG loose leaf exclusively for a few days now. Still get that initial Lemon Pledge blast at first, but it soon mellows out and doesn't bother me like I thought it might. Getting used to it I suppose. It's very enjoyable, the wife likes it, easily available, will keep it on hand. I like it better than most loose teas that I've mail ordered away for, better than anything else I can get in the store.

Paul 2.0

Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Earl Grey Drinkers   Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 9:25 pm

12toneman wrote:
harney and sons. they have several type: sumpreme, organic, etc. my fav: their regular earl grey blend.
http://www.harney.com/earl-grey.html

Thanks for the link man, Picked up a few things I havent tried including the Lobseng everyone on here mentioned. I love smokey Islay scotch and English blend tobacs so I should like this as well. Prices were very reasonable as well.
Back to top Go down
Paul 2.0

Paul 2.0

PostSubject: Re: Earl Grey Drinkers   Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 6:18 pm

Got the Lapsang and enjoying it tremendously as I write this. Drinking it neat, not sure if I need anything else in it. Very tasty. Although taste isn't that strong the aroma is. I think it works though.
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Earl Grey Drinkers   Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 6:44 pm

Paul 2.0 wrote:
Got the Lapsang and enjoying it tremendously as I write this. Drinking it neat, not sure if I need anything else in it. Very tasty. Although taste isn't that strong the aroma is. I think it works though.

Lapsang Souchong varies greatly depending on where you order it from. I prefer the stronger, smokier Lapsangs. I'm really pleased to see that I made another convert. The stuff is delicious! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Paul 2.0

Paul 2.0

PostSubject: Re: Earl Grey Drinkers   Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 9:01 pm

Simple Man wrote:
Paul 2.0 wrote:

Lapsang Souchong varies greatly depending on where you order it from. I prefer the stronger, smokier Lapsangs. I'm really pleased to see that I made another convert. The stuff is delicious! Very Happy

Picked up the version from Harney & Sons. Came in a tin, looks like 3oz of Mississippi Mud smells like Laphroaig. I am a convert indeed. Would have never found this stuff if it wasn't for this thread.
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Earl Grey Drinkers   Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 11:03 pm

Paul 2.0 wrote:

I am still waiting to order my Lapsang. But expect a full report when I get it.

Paul, where did you order your's from?
Back to top Go down
Paul 2.0

Paul 2.0

PostSubject: Re: Earl Grey Drinkers   Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 1:52 am

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Paul 2.0 wrote:

I am still waiting to order my Lapsang. But expect a full report when I get it.

Paul, where did you order your's from?
Harney.com
used the ole 'if I get something, get the wife something' trick
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Earl Grey Drinkers   Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 1:42 pm

Paul 2.0 wrote:

Harney.com
used the ole 'if I get something, get the wife something' trick

Cool, hey thanks.
Back to top Go down
Paul 2.0

Paul 2.0

PostSubject: Re: Earl Grey Drinkers   Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 7:57 am

Kind of went nuts on the tea thing as of late. Ended up doing 4 orders within 3 weeks. So I am good on tea....after this next order for Christmas. Nice addition to diversions and whatnot.
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Earl Grey Drinkers   Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 12:48 pm

We went through a big tin of Twinings, then moved on to a couple others. Bought some EG Metropolitan and some Buckingham Palace Garden Party from The English Tea Store. The latter is a mix of EG and Jamine tea. It's pretty good, has more going on but lacks the oomph of Twinings. My reason for wanting to search out some others was the fact that Twinings is built on small chopped bits of tea rather than whole leaf. I wonder how much better an EG could be if built on some really good whole leaf tea. So far, everything seems to be built on a chopped tea, lower grade leaf, even those claiming to be higher grade leaf like ETS claims. It isn't. The Twinings is still the better stuff thus far, and given the price, gonna be hard to beat.

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Earl Grey Drinkers   Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 2:55 pm

Give Rishi Tea a try. It is full leaf high grade. I have been very happy with the quality. Earl Grey - Rishi Tea
Back to top Go down
beetlejazz

beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Earl Grey Drinkers   Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 4:29 pm

What about buying some TGFOP Ceylon and adding the bergamot yourself? Who knows what you'll discover... Twisted Evil

Last edited by beetlejazz on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
beetlejazz

beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Earl Grey Drinkers   Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 4:34 pm

double
Back to top Go down
Nick Fox

Nick Fox

Registration date : 2012-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Earl Grey Drinkers   Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 1:27 am

I like Tazo's Earl Grey, iced. Tazo's Awake is pretty good too! I don't know why but I always like my black tea on ice, I've tried them hot and I don't seem to like them hot- except Chai tea, I'll drink that hot on cold nights.
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Earl Grey Drinkers   Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 12:18 pm

A little more about English Tea Store Earl Grey blends. I've really been enjoying these and now that I've spent some time with them, I'm finding them to be an excellent product and value. There are three that the wife and I have been drinking on a daily basis for weeks now. Their Buckingham Palace Garden Party is said to be the queens choice for her spring garden parties. Whatever. It is a blend of Earl Grey and Jasmine teas. That didn't sound terribly appealing to me at first, but it's actually quite good. It's lighter than a traditional Earl Grey but it isn't at all thin or weak. The jasmine and bergamot work well together and the base tea is of good quality. This is our regular drink now and we've been buying it by the pound.

They make a standard Earl Grey that was previously called Earl Grey Metropolitan. I don't know why they discontinued use of that name. They now just call it Earl Grey. The switch created some confusion as many of the reviews refer to it as Metropolitan, but when ordering, the customer service drones know nothing about any such blend. Yet, when the sealed foul pouch of standard Earl Grey arrived it bore the sticker Metropolitan on it. Anyhow, it's quite good. Not quite as strong as Twinings Classic loose leaf but a bit smoother and friendlier. A good tea at a good price.

A nice surprise was their Versailles Lavender Earl Grey, which is their standard Earl Grey with a good dose of Lavender. As foofy as this sounds, it's really, really good and smells fantastic! I bought a 4 ounce pouch of this for the wife and immediately fell in love with it and began hoarding it for myself. I've got to get a pound of this stuff. It's very smooth and well balanced, the dark tea and lavender aromas work wonderfully together and the taste is velvet.

The only negative I'll give is about the company and not the tea. The tea is great. The sales and service department needs some help. My last order was placed on line and accepted and confirmed via email. Two days later I get another email followed by a voicemail saying that they were out of the Buckingam Palace that I had ordered and would I like to substitute? A call back went unanswered so I emailed with a request to substitute the Earl Grey Metropolitan. Two days later another email response saying they don't know what that is, they have no such product. Turns out they just don't have anyone in that department who actually knows what they previously (like less than 6 months ago) called their standard Earl Grey, so I squared them away on that. Three more days go by and another email. We now have the Buckingham Palace in,do you still want that? 3 weeks after I originally placed my online order, it arrives. That was pretty lame. Hopefully they get it all sorted out. They may be the Pipes and Cigars of the online tea world.

Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Earl Grey Drinkers   Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 3:01 pm

Mrs. Vito has been an Earl Grey fan for many years. It hasn't really clicked with me in the past, but maybe it's time to give it another shot. One thing that pipe smoking has firmly established as axiomatic: tastes change.

For example, Lapsang Souchong, which is unquestionably an acquired taste; my first cup of the stuff was undrinkable. Then I learned that the long steeping times so often recommended by the tea vendors are just wacko. Brewing Lapsang Souchong in a way that brings out the nuances is as much an art as brewing any other tea. A great Fujian Lapsong Souchong carefully brewed is a thing of beauty.

Truth be told, I've drastically curtailed my black tea intake onna counta the oxalate thang. Of course, the category "black tea" is in many cases a misnomer that encompasses a huge range of teas, many of which aren't "black" at all. There's very little research on the oxalate content of different varieties of black tea, but I suspect that the lighter "blacks" (such as Yunnan Gold, or the fabulous Yunnan Noir that PD mentioned) are lower in oxalates than the deeper black teas of Keemun, Darjeeling, Ceylon, Assam, and others.

Anyhow, all the research I've studied suggests that citrate is one of the greatest mitigating factors in preventing oxalates from from binding with calcium (calcium oxalate kidney stones are the most common), so perhaps there has been some perennial wisdom in the "tea with lemon" thang. Also too, the inclusion of bergamot (which is high in citrate) in Earl Grey probably makes Earl Grey one of the more benign black teas, oxalate-wise. I think I'll glom onto some and give it another try.

jocolor
Back to top Go down
http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
BurleyLegal

Registration date : 2012-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Earl Grey Drinkers   Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 1:11 pm

Twinings Earl Grey is my everyday tea, I generally have 2-3 cups every morning. Numi makes an Aged Earl Grey which is definitely worth a try. It has a more pronounced bergamot flavor and is a tad more full bodied than Twinings. I keep the Numi around for a change of pace now and then.
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Earl Grey Drinkers   Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 8:52 pm

BurleyLegal wrote:
Twinings Earl Grey is my everyday tea, I generally have 2-3 cups every morning. Numi makes an Aged Earl Grey which is definitely worth a try. It has a more pronounced bergamot flavor and is a tad more full bodied than Twinings. I keep the Numi around for a change of pace now and then.

I agree with you on the flavor profile of the Numi. At first I enjoyed Numi's Earl Grey but the more I drank it the more I began to realize that I wasn't in love with the warmer almost fresh fruit flavor it has. As far a teabags go The Republic of Tea's Earl Greyer is about the farthest I'll stray from my standard Twinings loose leaf brew. Choice Organics has a pretty decent tea bag if I am on the run. Lately I have been only brewing loose leaf tea when I have time at home. That said, I haven't been drinking it much.

I did find some rather nice bulk Lapsang at the local food Co-op.

Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Earl Grey Drinkers   Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 1:09 pm

I think I may try the Earl Greyer, but Twinnings definitely does it for me.
Back to top Go down
BurleyLegal

Registration date : 2012-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Earl Grey Drinkers   Earl Grey Drinkers - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 1:43 pm

I agree. The Numi Earl Grey is citrusy to the point of almost being orangey (I guess that's a word?). It's not bad, but I definitely prefer Twining's use of English restraint in the bergamot department.
Back to top Go down

Earl Grey Drinkers
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Kitchen & The Speakeasy-
Jump to: