HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

What do you do with dottle?

Go down 

Dottle? Never heard of it. I smoke to a fine white ash every time. I also only need to light once with a match, in a hurricane. I also believe in the wonders of heel cake. Newbs, all of you.
What do you do with dottle? Vote_lcap10%What do you do with dottle? Vote_rcap
 10% [ 5 ]
Dry it and sprinkle it on your next bowl
What do you do with dottle? Vote_lcap2%What do you do with dottle? Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Dry it and grind it for snuff
What do you do with dottle? Vote_lcap2%What do you do with dottle? Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Dry it and use it as dip
What do you do with dottle? Vote_lcap0%What do you do with dottle? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Dump it.
What do you do with dottle? Vote_lcap67%What do you do with dottle? Vote_rcap
 67% [ 32 ]
Judge Judy? Never heard of her.
What do you do with dottle? Vote_lcap19%What do you do with dottle? Vote_rcap
 19% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 48

AuthorMessage
gravel

gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

What do you do with dottle? Empty
PostSubject: What do you do with dottle?   What do you do with dottle? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 6:50 pm

Dottle: That wet mass of tobacco left at the bottom of your pipe.

I assume most people dump their dottle, but occasionally I am surprised by the guy who likes to dip his dottle. At least he doesn't dip someone else's dottle!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with dottle?   What do you do with dottle? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 8:03 pm

Dump it, of course.

Rolling Eyes

Cheers,

RR

What do you do with dottle? Purple11x 2What do you do with dottle? Bombx10  What do you do with dottle? Bombx4What do you do with dottle? D6bddf10 What do you do with dottle? 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with dottle?   What do you do with dottle? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 8:17 pm

Conan Doyle wrote that Holmes saved his dottle every day and used the total as his fisrt bowl of the next day. Yikes!

Of course, Watson's and other's eyebrows used to rise pretty high I'll bet. But there are times when I sort of hate to stop re-lighting that bowl cause it's gotten just to the point of being the perfect flavor - and do stop only because I know I'll burn the crap outta myself. So saving the dottle might just be a good idea...kinda like what we used to do with the dregs of other bowls we used to smoke. The dottle in 'those' pipes used to produce quite the effect indeed. Hmmm. I feel a little experiment in the offing! Hello! The game is afoot!

What do you do with dottle? D6bddf10What do you do with dottle? 29400910What do you do with dottle? 114e6110What do you do with dottle? Ddb39b10What do you do with dottle? Cf77ce10What do you do with dottle? Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with dottle?   What do you do with dottle? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 8:30 pm

I'd like to have resopnded with the first answer, but I don't usually get quite to the bottom. On the other hand, in my undergrad days, when I had $5 a week to spend on everything, the dottles got saved and ground up into a tin where all bits left at the bottom of pouches were dumped. By the end of the semester, I was smoking what was in the tin (outside, my suite mates put up with Captain Black, Granger, and the like, but wouldn't tolerate that mix)

And yes, I got the idea from the Sherlock Holmes stories.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
gravel

gravel

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with dottle?   What do you do with dottle? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 8:49 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Dump it, of course.

Rolling Eyes

Cheers,

RR

My favorite brewmeister who's brew I haven't had the privilege of trying, there is room at the table for all types. Different strokes and all that stuff.

But yeah, weird.
Back to top Go down
Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with dottle?   What do you do with dottle? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 8:55 pm

Interesting poll, but gotta go with Judge Judy. What do you do with dottle? 710492
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with dottle?   What do you do with dottle? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 9:05 pm

That's what I like about the people on this forum. All the wise-crack responses I could think of greeted me when I clicked on the topic. Very Happy

I have a small pile of dottle in a flower pot on my deck. There are a few blends I have to force myself to stop smoking if I don't want to damage my pipes and myself.
Back to top Go down
Thistleoak

Thistleoak

Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with dottle?   What do you do with dottle? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 9:06 pm

Rob_In_MO wrote:
Interesting poll, but gotta go with Judge Judy. What do you do with dottle? 710492

Right on, when I read that original thread between Andrew and Kyle I blew ashes all over I was laughing so hard
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with dottle?   What do you do with dottle? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 9:11 pm

If you pack & smoke it right, there isn't any to worry about.

If there is, let it dry for a couple hours or overnight & smoke it.

cat What a Face
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with dottle?   What do you do with dottle? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 9:20 pm

Yak wrote:
If you pack & smoke it right, there isn't any to worry about.

If there is, let it dry for a couple hours or overnight & smoke it.

cat What a Face

Well then, that sums it up pretty good.

I rarely have any dottle, such as it is. What is there isn't fit for smoking.

JMHO

Cheers,

RR

What do you do with dottle? Purple11x 2What do you do with dottle? Bombx10  What do you do with dottle? Bombx4What do you do with dottle? D6bddf10 What do you do with dottle? 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with dottle?   What do you do with dottle? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 9:21 pm

I dump it, but lately I have been saving it to use as packing material in the dreaded Halloween bombing run. bom Razz

Or perhaps I'll grind it up with some candy corns for that xtra special and festive fall snuff. What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

gravel

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with dottle?   What do you do with dottle? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 9:28 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Or perhaps I'll grind it up with some candy corns for that xtra special and festive fall snuff. What a Face

Delicious, satisfying, and economical!
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with dottle?   What do you do with dottle? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 9:39 pm

Rob_In_MO wrote:

Just you and me so far, Rob. Very Happy

I love the dregs in the bottom of the bowl, so I just keep going until they're done. The smoke lets me know--if it don't light anymore, the bowl's done.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with dottle?   What do you do with dottle? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 9:50 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Rob_In_MO wrote:

Just you and me so far, Rob. Very Happy

I love the dregs in the bottom of the bowl, so I just keep going until they're done. The smoke lets me know--if it don't light anymore, the bowl's done.

Cool

I agree! I do that and haven't had any dottle in years ! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with dottle?   What do you do with dottle? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 10:02 pm

I don't usually pay attention to other pipesters' quandary with this "dottle" stuff. Do most people usually end the bowl and just dump out the last, what, 1/8th bowl? Is it consistent each time? How the heck would you know when it's time to stop, taste? Weight? Draw? *shrug*

Serious questions, here. Seems complicated. "Dottle" for me was just one or two pieces that I noticed stuck to the side of the chamber about mid-way up. Laughing I knock them off and eject them with the ash.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristokles

Registration date : 2010-10-02

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with dottle?   What do you do with dottle? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 10:14 pm

With the C&D English-style blends I prefer this is rarely, if indeed ever, an issue.

But with the one match qualifier, I had to go with the Judge Judy option.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PreppyHippy

Registration date : 2012-09-18

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with dottle?   What do you do with dottle? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 12:01 am

Hmmmm. The question has me wondering if I should start saving it. Same as I once wondered what would happen and how long it would take to save up a marble-sized blob of toe jam.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with dottle?   What do you do with dottle? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 12:02 am

I save dottle, mix it 50/50 with Elmer's and use it to affix stubborn envelopes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

gravel

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with dottle?   What do you do with dottle? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 12:28 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
I don't usually pay attention to other pipesters' quandary with this "dottle" stuff. Do most people usually end the bowl and just dump out the last, what, 1/8th bowl? Is it consistent each time? How the heck would you know when it's time to stop, taste? Weight? Draw? *shrug*

Serious questions, here. Seems complicated. "Dottle" for me was just one or two pieces that I noticed stuck to the side of the chamber about mid-way up. Laughing I knock them off and eject them with the ash.

Cool

So, Judge Judy?

Back to top Go down
George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with dottle?   What do you do with dottle? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 2:16 am

I could tell you, but that would give away the secret of my special barbecue sauce.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with dottle?   What do you do with dottle? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 3:06 am

Awhile back, I posted a thread about the virtues of salt water rinsing. Since I usually give my tongue a good lashing with the best part of every bowl, I always rinse with salt water right before bed. This allows me to wake with a refreshed tongue, which salivates at the thought of a bowl of morning Froggie, with you guessed it, moisture laden and flavorful dottle.

I've always believed in the old adage, "If something is worth doing, it's worth over doing!" cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with dottle?   What do you do with dottle? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 3:45 am

I don't often have any, but if I do it gets dumped.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slide

Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with dottle?   What do you do with dottle? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 7:04 am

I had more when I smoked aromatics. Now it is pretty much as Kyles described. A couple of blakes on the side of the bowl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with dottle?   What do you do with dottle? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 10:46 am

Had another thought on this. Since I smoke mostly McC's 'bacs, I just take the "dottle", if any, and put it on my french fries Razz Who watches Judge Judy? Judge Joe Brown is where it's at Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with dottle?   What do you do with dottle? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 11:33 pm

Its usually aimed into the nearest bush... but that's if I cant get it down to a fine white ash.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: