HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Cat Friends As I Travel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Cat Friends As I Travel   Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:07 pm

It's weird. Almost every time I travel out of town for work, I naturally find some quiet spot to have an evening pipe. Every time I do this, I have some swell little neighborhood cat that comes and visits me. This time was a pretty, big, ash-grey longhair that REALLY wanted to sit on my lap and hang out with me, but was denied due to my computer being there instead. I'm sure it would have been great to have a warm laptop AND a lap to sit on and be pet, but this was not my idea of the way thing should be. The cat was fine with it, rolled around in the crisp grass, and watched the sun set with me.

The time before this, on another project, was a spunky calico kitten, that actually waited for me when he knew I was a regular during a week-long stretch. Same time, same channel each night. He'd get pet happily chase after bugs and moths while I sat listening to music (no Internet at that location) and would hide under the chair if any people or dogs came by that didn't seem cool.

There's been others, but it's usually the same deal. I can't own cats (allergies), don't much like their smells, but I certainly enjoy their passing company. They seem to get the fact I'm just a visitor, too, and probably go about their business after pleasant moments cease. It's cool.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Cat Friends As I Travel   Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:26 pm

That's pretty cool. I didn't know there were that many cats just hanging around waiting for someone to hang out with. Or, maybe you have some sort of "cat-whisperer" super powers that they're digging on.

A cat or dog make a nice companion when you're away from home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Cat Friends As I Travel   Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:35 pm

Make no mistake, dogs love me, too, but they don't visit me when I'm piping quietly when out of town after work. The tiny Nevada towns I visit are pretty ho-hum slow...bored cats? *shrug*

I tried taking a picture of this one tonight, but, way too dark for a good picture.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Cat Friends As I Travel   Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:52 am

cats dig your groove
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Cat Friends As I Travel   Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:26 pm

Whether you want to admit it, you ARE a CAT PERSON Razz They don't just come up to or hang around folks who are not Razz But don't worry, that's a GOOD THING cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Cat Friends As I Travel   Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:36 pm

Maybe they smell your pet chinchilla and think you've brought them a snack. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Cat Friends As I Travel   Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:48 pm

I have a thing for befriending animals I meet.
A couple of years ago, I paid a steep price.
A cat (that people told be later was vicious)
and I were having a great time; I petted him
for about five minutes, then he hit my hand like
a rattlesnake. It got infected immediately like a
Komodo Dragon bite. Ten days on strong antibiotics.
Now I am extremely cautious with strange pussy. cat

The story with pics
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slide

Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Cat Friends As I Travel   Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:04 pm

Hermit wrote:

Now I am extremely cautious with strange pussy. cat

The story with pics

Best line ever Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Cat Friends As I Travel   Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:12 pm

This thread could really g places with that line Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Cat Friends As I Travel   Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:47 am

monbla256 wrote:

This thread could really g places with that line Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

G places? Don't you mean g spots?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Cat Friends As I Travel   Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:20 am

Animals like cats & dogs, IMHO, relate to the degree of authenticity in people -- how well they're connected to the world around them and what's in it.

I had an uncle who could, famously, walk up to the meanest, snarling, biting dog and pet it like a puppy.

Animals know stuff we don't.

cat What a Face study
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Cat Friends As I Travel   Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:23 pm

I've always gotten along with animals better than people. Animals make more sense... hell, sometimes the people that act like animals are easier to deal with: their intentions are clearer.

I'm not always engaging with animals, Hermit, so I don't get all "...hey kitty/doggie, you're my best friend," pet them and pretend like it's Timmy and Lassie. I know better. They just...hang out. Just for a while. All kinds of animals.

They do know stuff we don't, or can't perceive any longer.

One of the funniest incidents was at a weird interactive roadside zoo Z and I went to in Oregon someplace. There was this pen full of wallabies and emus. You could walk in, pet them, feed them, etc. There was a mob of people trying to interact with the animals, so I went and sat on an overturned food tub. I just chilled out, didn't really pay attention directly to anything. One by one, the animals started coming over and sitting next to me. Of course, eventually, the people followed, the harassed animals almost harumphed like "...dammit..." and got up and started moving away again. Then they came back. Eventually, the people didn't like the fact the animals were avoiding them and left, and they just came over and napped near where I was sitting quietly, the only human in the pen. I didn't smoke a pipe then, but I sure wish I did.

I like animal visitors. Even bugs. Dragonflies and jumping spiders, two of my favorite creepies, are usually around in some capacity. Feed them often by hand with flies I smack around me. Laughing

They enhance the peace I seek, usually, and share it with me when I find it. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Cat Friends As I Travel   Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:29 pm

Yak wrote:
Animals like cats & dogs, IMHO, relate to the degree of authenticity in people -- how well they're connected to the world around them and what's in it.

I had an uncle who could, famously, walk up to the meanest, snarling, biting dog and pet it like a puppy.

Animals know stuff we don't.

cat What a Face study

So yer sayin' my cat frenemy decided I was a phony? Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Cat Friends As I Travel
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1