HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What a mentor taught me

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: What a mentor taught me   Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:10 pm

I have been extremely lucky over the years to have a number of great mentors. Both in my spiritual development and in my other endeavors. One such mentor was my painting mentor. His name is Carlos Estrada-Vega.

He had seen some of my beginning paintings, and he liked something about them. I asked if he would mentor me, (I have learned in life that often times we don't get what we need because we simply don't ask). He told me to come to his studio on Monday, which I did. He looked at some of my work, talked to me about what I did, and why. And then he said, "painters paint, bring me one finished painting a week" It wasn't about inspiration, it was about work. The inspiration comes from the perspiration, in the midst of the perspiration. You cannot wait to be inspired, you create an atmosphere daring the muse to not inspire you, and when the inspiration comes you channel it because you are already working.

Now this becomes a life lesson, not just an art lesson. Whether we are talking religion, or work, or family. Do the work, the inspiration may or may not come on a certain day, but do the work. So you don't "feel" loving towards your wife, buy her flowers, take her on a walk, make her dinner, do the work and the inspiration comes. Sometimes it takes a long time, but it comes.

Anyways, I brought him two finished paintings a week. And because of my dedication, and work ethic... he stopped what he was doing, and gave me his full attention whenever I visited. Even though he was selling out every gallery he showed at, even though he was making pieces for museums, and could barely keep up, he took time for me. Because for him, that too was part of the work, paying it forward.

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: What a mentor taught me   Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:13 pm

Excellent advice! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: What a mentor taught me   Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:09 pm

Congrats for you having a good mentor! I'd love one too and have been toying with the idea. Perhaps one day if I meet the right person/artist.

That aside I think people work differently. I think it's pretty fashionable nowadays to downplay the importance or even existence of inspiration and talk about the hard work only. And some people take it to the extremes of painting a "paintng a day". Each to their own. Me? I paint only and completely according to inspiration. Sometimes I can go for months without painting. And it's ok because I know it comes back. Suddenly I can paint 3 paintings I'm really happy with within a week. Then silence again.

But anyway, glad you've found a way to paint that works for you! Smile And now I'm really curious about your paintings too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: What a mentor taught me   Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:23 pm

rev
Back to top Go down
Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: What a mentor taught me   Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:35 pm

Well said Rev!!

Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: What a mentor taught me   Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:51 pm

Opportunities don't fall into laps, they are unearthed and discovered. Some people don't get that.

I heard a guy say once, if you buy flowers for your wife only when she's mad or you do something wrong (in her eyes, of course Razz ), it's negative reinforcement for both parties. The flowers then represent problems, and even power struggles.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: What a mentor taught me   Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:13 pm

Looks cool, rev!

What the second one makes me think of is someone............taking really long pauses............when speaking/thinking
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: What a mentor taught me   Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:23 pm

Johannes Brahms wrote:
To realize that we are one with the Creator, as Beethoven did, is a wonderful and awe-inspiring experience. Very few human beings ever come into that realization and that is why there are so few great composers or creative geniuses in any line of human endeavor. I always contemplate all this before commencing to compose. This is the first step. When I feel the urge I begin by appealing directly to my Maker and I first ask Him the three most important questions pertaining to our life here in this world—whence, wherefore, whither? I immediately feel vibrations that thrill my whole being. These are the spirit illuminating the soul-power within, and in this exalted state, I see clearly what is obscure in my ordinary moods; then I feel capable of drawing inspiration from above, as Beethoven did. Above all, I realize at such moments the tremendous significance of Jesus’ supreme revelation, ‘I and my Father are One’. Those vibrations assume the forms of distinct mental images, after I have formulated my desire and resolve in regard to what I want—namely, to be inspired so that I can compose something that will uplift and benefit humanity—something of permanent value. Straightaway the ideas flow in upon me, directly from God, and not only do I see distinct themes in my mind’s eye, but they are clothed in the right forms, harmonies and orchestration. Measure by measure, the finished product is revealed to me when I am in those rare, inspired moods, as they were to Tartini when he composed his greatest work—the Devil’s Trill Sonata. I have to be in a semi-trance condition to get such results—a condition when the conscious mind is in temporary abeyance and the subconscious is in control, for it is through the subconscious mind, which is a part of Omnipotence, that the inspiration comes. I have to be careful, however, not to lose consciousness, otherwise, the ideas fade away.

Later in the same book [Arthur Abell, Talks with Great Composers], Brahms describes these experiences further to Abell and Joseph Joachim who was also present:

Johannes Brahms wrote:
I always have had a definite purpose in view before invoking the Muse and entering into such a mood; and as I pointed out to you before, contemplating what Goethe, Milton and Tennyson said stimulated by fantasy to a powerful degree. Then when I felt those higher Cosmic vibrations, I knew that I was in touch with the same Power that inspired those great poets and also Bach, Mozart and Beethoven. Then the ideas which I was consciously seeking flowed in upon me with such force and speed, that I could only grasp and hold a few of them; I never was able to jot them all down; they came in instantaneous flashes and quickly faded away again, unless I fixed them on paper. The themes that will endure in my compositions all come to me in this way. It has always been such a wonderful experience that, I never before could induce myself to talk about it—even to you Joseph. I felt that I was, for the moment, in tune with the Infinite, and there is no thrill like it. I can understand why the great Nazarene attached so little importance to this life. He must have been in much closer rapport with the Infinite force of the Universe, than any poet or composer ever was, and He, no doubt had glimpses of that next plane, He called ‘Heaven’.
http://www.icrcanada.org/research/literaryresearch/brahms

cat What a Face study
Back to top Go down
the rev

PostSubject: Re: What a mentor taught me   Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:29 pm

If I get deeper into the theory behind what Carlos does, and taught me to do, I think it would resonate with what you have just posted. The idea of the work as meditation, the work itself is how we shut out the world, and its influences and distractions. Then, in the midst of our peace, we hear the still small voice, and it becomes part of the work.

Not that there aren't times when the inspiration hits apart from this, but rather looking into the spiritual disciplines of art

rev
Back to top Go down
Blue Max

Registration date : 2010-05-10

PostSubject: Re: What a mentor taught me   Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:54 pm

Perfect words, Rev, at a perfect time.

Which is always "just exactly perfect".
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What a mentor taught me
View previous topic View next topic Back to top