Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 11:23 am

Fantastic pipes.
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 12:20 pm

I really like that center one, nice grain and shape.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
http://rdpipes.briar.club/
ExcessEnergy

ExcessEnergy

Registration date : 2014-01-25

PostSubject: Moretti War Club - To Bore or Not To Bore?   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 7:58 pm

This 11+" Moretti is one of the giant Canadians I bought from Tony Soderman's prodigious collection.  It is not one of the ones that Moretti rejected but which were later sold by some guy who bought up Moretti's rejects en masse and then sold them in the US some years ago as "Morettis," thus undermining Moretti's justly deserved reputation for making great pipes.  I have not smoked it yet, as I spread out break ins over time in deference to my tongue.  Also, I am wondering if I should send it out to some pipe carver/repairer to enlarge the chamber.  As you can see in the second picture, the chamber seems disproportionately small in relation to the squarish bowl.  I know that thick bowl walls are considered to be a virtue, but this one seems to be carrying a good thing a little far.  Anyone have any thoughts on whether the chamber should be bored out a bit by someone like Tim West, Frank Storm, or . . . ?  I noted Cajun's comments about having Floyd Norwood bore out that monster pipe of his; maybe he's the one to send it to?  I've never considered doing this before, so I'm kind of in terra incognita here.

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 Photo_10

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 Photo_12

P.S., Sorry about the crude computer cam pictures, but I'm not set up to take the beautiful pictures the rest of you guys have one here. Your pipes look really great. I'm kind of doing Signore Moretti a disservice with these quickie pics.
Back to top Go down
Pipe'n Prof

Pipe'n Prof

Registration date : 2013-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 EmptySun Jan 26, 2014 9:31 pm

ExcessEnergy wrote:
 It is not one of the ones that Moretti rejected but which were later sold by some guy who bought up Moretti's rejects en masse and then sold them in the US some years ago as "Morettis," thus undermining Moretti's justly deserved reputation for making great pipes.

I wasn't aware of this, EE. Where did you hear about this? Where (are) they being sold?

As for your re-boring question, I like how Marco drops a normal sized bowl in a large block of briar. I never smoke full bowls, so I would never alter a pipe to make one bigger.
Back to top Go down
ExcessEnergy

ExcessEnergy

PostSubject: The Soderman story about the fellow who sold Moretti rejects   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 EmptySun Jan 26, 2014 9:55 pm

Avid, prize-winning collector Tony Soderman of Minneapolis, who has sold me a number of pipes, including this one, knows Moretti well.  He's the one who wrote to me about it, but I do not recall him specifying a timeframe or a region. When Moretti sold the rejected pipes, he did not expect the fellow to sell them in the United States with Moretti's name on them, of course. It was an under-handed thing to do to Moretti. I will check to see if I can find what Soderman wrote about this and put it on here.  I think it was some time ago, as I recall Soderman writing that Moretti prices were finally recovering from the effects of what that fellow did.
Back to top Go down
ExcessEnergy

ExcessEnergy

PostSubject: Pipe Collector Tony Soderman on Morettis   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 9:23 pm

Pipen' Prof,

In response to your question, here is what Tony Soderman, prize-winning pipe collector and the former owner of the war club shown in the pictures, above wrote about Morettis, which he greatly admires:

"Morettis are FLAWLESS PIPES with NO HIDDEN FILLS!!!

"Unfortunately, Marco once sold his 'discarded pipes' to an American pipe seller who gladly liquidated them on eBay. The result was two-fold. First, hundreds of flawed Morettis found their way into the hands of pipe smokers who recognized the defects and incorrectly concluded that all Moretti pipes were poor quality, flawed pipes. Second, the sales prices became so depressed that many Morettis sold for token prices furthering the misconception that all Morettis were poor quality pipes and not worth much money! Sadly, the brand name has suffered as a result!"

I did not know about this, either, and have often admired the Morettis for sale at my local Tinder Box in Costa Mesa.  Of course, those pipes, like the war club and the ones all of you on here own and enjoy, are the real Morettis, not the ones that were passed off as Carlo's best work on eBay several years ago.

Tony's admiration extends to owning a lot of Morettis, including some enormous Canadians that dwarf the war club that I bought from him.  He has a pretty close relationship with Carlo and also Bruto Sordini (Don Carlos pipes).  He represented the latter as his attorney in the US.  I am not sure if he represented Carlo, but I know that he spent a lot of time with him at pipe shows, and had a role in persuading Carlo to come to the US to make his pipes more familiar to American pipe enthusiasts in earlier years.
Back to top Go down
Pipe'n Prof

Pipe'n Prof

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 12:07 am

Added a new one today, brothers. It's my third of this shape. This one, however, is considerably more stout (4.5" long). It's not quite a magnum but its bowl is about 1/4" greater in diameter than my others. I introduced it to Navy Flake today. I think they're going to be good friends  Very Happy 
Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 Img_0811
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 12:10 am

Very nice indeed! That's a pudgy little puppy aint it, I bet it feels real good in the hand.
Back to top Go down
ExcessEnergy

ExcessEnergy

PostSubject: New Polinski   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 12:25 am

That's a great one, too. Most of the ones I've seen on eBay since you fellows brought these to my attention have not been up to the aesthetic standard of the ones you fellows seem to find. I'll just have to keep a lookout. Nice pipe!
Back to top Go down
Pipe'n Prof

Pipe'n Prof

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 12:52 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Very nice indeed! That's a pudgy little puppy aint it, I bet it feels real good in the hand.

That's why this is the third of this shape I have purchased from Marco; it just feels perfect in the hand, and the thick walls keep the bowl nice and cool.
Back to top Go down
ExcessEnergy

ExcessEnergy

PostSubject: "New" Old But Unused Moretti   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 8:18 am

Some fellow on eBay outbid me on one of Tony Soderman's giant Morettis.  So, Tony sends it to the guy.  Now, Tony's eBay ad, like all of his ads, has an elaborate discussion of Moretti pipes in general, and this war club in particular, and he has a large picture with a ruler at the bottom, showing prospective purchasers just how long the thing is.  Now, it's not quite as long as the one in the picture above, but it's still 10.25" long.  The picture looks like this:

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 Morett10

So, the guy has an elaborate written description and he's got this picture, and he bids the dickens out of it so that I finally let him have it at $455 because I cannot believe that I even went anywhere near that high.  Bear in mind, now, that Tony often just sells me the pipes he has that I want without putting them on eBay, which means that I pay less.  But this one went way over Tony's reserve.  The guy gets it, writes to Tony and tells him he wants to return it because . . . wait for it . . . it's too long.  As Tony said when he wrote to me afterwards, "it looks like the luck is with you."  cheers  But I'm not paying quite  what that fellow bid.  cheers  cheers  cheers   I wonder what part of 10.25" he didn't understand? Laughing 
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 8:25 am

The .25 . Decimals are SO HARD ya know !! AND his ruler was only marked in 1/8ths  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 9:09 am

I would imagine the nimrod woke up and said to himself and or his wife "Holy cow, I paid what for this?" and wanted out of the deal. I see so many nimrods out there bidding like it's a war or there life there bidding on jacking prices up to way over stupid money. This one just came to his senses too late but, was able to back out of it.
Nice pipe by the way, although I don't know if I could see the bowl to light it being almost a foot away from my nose.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
Pipe'n Prof

Pipe'n Prof

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 2:11 pm

ExcessEnergy wrote:
 The guy gets it, writes to Tony and tells him he wants to return it because . . . wait for it . . . it's too long.  

I'm not sure I would have returned it. There's a flippin' ruler in the picture!  scratch 
Back to top Go down
Thomas Tkach

Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 9:32 pm

I'd have refunded him the purchase price less shipping and a 20% restocking fee. That'd be $91 profit for having to deal with an idiot!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
gravel

gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 11:07 pm

You guys are killing me. I didn't know those were inches.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Pipe'n Prof

Pipe'n Prof

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 11:03 pm

New one to share today, brothers -- a Moretti magnum full bent. Stem fit is perfect, passes a cleaner effortlessly, no pits, and lots of nice straight grain. There is a natural dark spot in the grain near the rim (you can see it in the picture), but other than that it is immaculate. Another fine job by Marco. Now to work building up some cake  Very Happy 

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 Img_0910
Back to top Go down
ExcessEnergy

ExcessEnergy

PostSubject: Great looking pipe!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 10:04 pm

That is a very handsome pipe.  As you know, my two Morettis are long, huge and rusticated, but I started looking at shorter ones with beautiful briar like yours in part because of the impact of the short Polinskis, because a lot of the Morettis that have come up for sale closely resemble the Polinskis' configuration.  Of course, they generally come a little more dear because Moretti is much more established in the market.  On the other hand, they are probably better pipes because Moretti and now Marco have never let anything go out that did not meet their standards.  In any case, that fiammatta briar looks first rate and I'll bet it smokes well, too.  Congratulations!
Back to top Go down
Pipe'n Prof

Pipe'n Prof

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 10:45 pm

Thanks, EE. I do see some parallels between Polinskis and Morettis, especially, as you noted, in the aesthetics (stout, short shapes). The biggest difference I see is in the stem work. Polinski uses vulcanite, whereas Moretti uses acrylic. Also, two of my Polinskis have a small gap between the stem and shank, but none of my 6 Morettis do. Polinski stems also seem longer than Moretti stems.

Really getting down to details now. They're both outstanding values.
Back to top Go down
Hawker

Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 11:08 pm

Pipe'n Prof wrote:
Thanks, EE. I do see some parallels between Polinskis and Morettis, especially, as you noted, in the aesthetics (stout, short shapes). The biggest difference I see is in the stem work. Polinski uses vulcanite, whereas Moretti uses acrylic. Also, two of my Polinskis have a small gap between the stem and shank, but none of my 6 Morettis do. Polinski stems also seem longer than Moretti stems.

Really getting down to details now. They're both outstanding values.  

Hmmm all 5 of my Polinskis have acrylic stems.
Back to top Go down
Pipe'n Prof

Pipe'n Prof

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 12:06 am

Really? I feel like my 4 polinskis are all vulcanite. The stems seem softer and seem to be dulling with age. I just assume they are vulcanite because they feel different and are acting differently than my acrylic stem pipes
Back to top Go down
Pipe'n Prof

Pipe'n Prof

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 12:28 am

Your post got me to thinking so I checked the eBay auctions. All the polinski pipes are listed as having ebonite stems, which is a synonym for vulcanite, a hardened rubber. At least according to their eBay listings, they are not acrylic.
Back to top Go down
Hawker

Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 12:56 am

Pipe'n Prof wrote:
Your post got me to thinking so I checked the eBay auctions. All the polinski pipes are listed as having ebonite stems, which is a synonym for vulcanite, a hardened rubber. At least according to their eBay listings, they are not acrylic.

I have 7 Polinskis and have never had one oxidize at all like some of my vulcanite stems on other pipes.

I checked on Polinskis actual site to see what he himself quotes as to what he uses and this is the what it says on his own website.

"Our stems are made of the finest acrylic material in various colors with 9mm filters or with no filter at all."

I think Roman (who sells his pipes on ebay has them listed as ebonite).
Back to top Go down
Pipe'n Prof

Pipe'n Prof

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 2:40 am

Hmm...well based on my experience, and the conflicting stem descriptions from eBay and polinski's web site, I will have to respectfully disagree with your assessment. All of my polinski stems are slightly duller and softer than my acrylic stem pipes. Admittedly, the dullness could be from insufficient initial polishing. But they were not that way when I purchased them and one is now highly contrasted under the area where the softy bit was. In my experience this does not happen to an acrylic stem.
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 3:28 am

Pipe'n Prof wrote:
Hmm...well based on my experience, and the conflicting stem descriptions from eBay and polinski's web site, I will have to respectfully disagree with your assessment. All of my polinski stems are slightly duller and softer than my acrylic stem pipes. Admittedly, the dullness could be from insufficient initial polishing. But they were not that way when I purchased them and one is now highly contrasted under the area where the softy bit was. In my experience this does not happen to an acrylic stem.  

Just had a gander at his website and on the production page he has the stem material listed as: para kauczukowy bezfiltrowy

The best translation I could find was: pair of rubber bezfiltrowy (has to mean Ebonite - Vulcanite)

On this page: http://polinskipipes.com.pl/index.php/o-firmie it states: a plateau with acrylic mouthpieces

I must say I find it a bit confusing figuring that site out with Google Translate, the translation changed a little the second time I hit that page I linked to, weird.
Back to top Go down

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next