Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
ExcessEnergy

ExcessEnergy

Registration date : 2014-01-25

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Vulcanite vs. Acrylic in Polinskis   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 EmptyWed May 07, 2014 11:42 pm

Okay, you fellows are the experts where Polinskis are concerned, but I am certain that this Polinski poker has an acrylic stem, as it is yellow, with a sort of faux amber effect, and, although this picture does not show it, the other side of the stem has the Polinski "P" logo on it, showing that it is an original production stem:

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 Polins13

And this little, odd-shaped red guy also seems to have an acrylic stem, even though it's black.  Note the carved, repeated indentations around the ball on the stem.  Although I suppose that such indentations could be done with vulcanite, the touch, hardness, and the noise it makes when tapped make it appear that it is acrylic.

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 Polins16

Although it is harder to tell with the "rock" style bulkier pipes and the brown poker, they all seem to me to be acrylic, too, for the same reasons.  

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 Polins14
Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 Polins15

However, I have not had mine long enough for any oxidation typical of vulcanite to occur.  Also, I clean my stems pretty often so that oxidation does not happen as much.  When combined with Polinski's statement on his site that the stems are acrylic, my estimation of the situation at present is that they are acrylic, but I am willing to stand corrected, as I have stood there before, all too often.
Back to top Go down
Hawker

Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 EmptyThu May 08, 2014 1:55 am

You don't have to convince me EE. I've always said they were arcylic and when you go to Polinski's own site and click on the UK flag for the English translation it's say's in his own words that he uses the finest arcylic material for his stems. None of the 7 Polinski's I own have vulcunite stems and if the first one I recieved would of I sure wouldn't of kept buying them. To each their own, some like em some don't. It all comes down to personal preference.
Back to top Go down
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 EmptyThu May 08, 2014 7:15 am

Beautiful pipes, EE!
Back to top Go down
pipe dreamer

pipe dreamer

Registration date : 2010-04-18

PostSubject: mortas   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 EmptyFri May 16, 2014 6:00 pm

Your pipes are beautiful to say the least. I know little about his pipes , will have to look it up.
Back to top Go down
http://guildpipesfl.com
ExcessEnergy

ExcessEnergy

PostSubject: NEW MORETTI SMOOTH MORTA   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 10:05 pm

Lucked out on eBay the other day and got a Moretti smooth morta pipe for less than morta of similar configurations seem to be going for, from Moretti or anyone else.  I would have liked it to be longer, of course (see my other two Morettis, above), but because it has such thick walls because Carlo likes the chamber to be a certain dimension and no more, I was hopeful that the cooling effect of the thick bowl would be similar to that of the massive T. Polinski pipes shown above and discussed by everyone in the "Let's See Your Polinskis" thread.  So, that was my rationale (that, and I could not resist having a pipe made of wood that is 6-10,000 years old; however, in view of the relative lightness of the morta from which this one is made, it is probably on the younger end of that scale [though, as always, I defer to the brothers more knowledgeable than I about morta, as I did not even know the stuff existed a few months ago]).  So, anyway, here are Marco's pictures of the pipe that just arrived this afternoon:

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 Morett10

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 Morett11

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 Morett12

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 Morett13

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 Morett14

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 Morett15

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 Morett16

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 Morett17   And here it is, being broken in with Deep Hollow (I couldn't wait, after all!):

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 Photo_10

Turns out I had let the Deep Hollow get a little dry, so it burned kind of hot (at least, that's what I'm telling myself until I can try it with some properly humidified Harbor Island, my current default tobacco for cool puffing). But it still more resembles a meerschaum in its effect than a briar. It will take a little more testing with different blends to see if the heat is due to short shank, dry tobaccy, or just a characteristic of the morta . . . or maybe because I was pounding it in my enthusiasm.

I should add that if this one works out, and if some more legal fees come in, I will see what Todd Harris will charge me for a Canadian Morta like that beautiful one he made for Cajun. I know that the ones with the silver and ivory were more classy and all that, and very beautiful, but Cajun's had the longer stem, which means a cooler smoke, and that's my default choice.

Happy puffing, guys!
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 9:56 pm

Those are some gorgeous Moretti's you guys have scored since I have been offline. Congrats on making some fine additions to your collections! cheers cheers cheers 

On a side note, I bet if one of you guys contacted Marco, he could tell you for certain what kind of stems Polinski pipes are fitted with!  lol! 
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 EmptyFri Jan 02, 2015 7:41 pm

Here is a little smooth billiard I scored today, that weighs in at 27 grams. It is my 29th Moretti, and my first with a horn stem.

I talked to Marco today by email, and he never ceases to amaze me with his quick response and attention to detail. I wish all ebay sellers were such a pleasure to do business with.

Enough typing, here's the eye candy.........

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiBilliardHighGradeHornStem-1_zps21b7d620

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiBilliardHighGradeHornStem-2_zpsfb59baa9

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiBilliardHighGradeHornStem-3_zpscca1d568

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiBilliardHighGradeHornStem-4_zpse84dc3b8

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiBilliardHighGradeHornStem-5_zps91e59165

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiBilliardHighGradeHornStem-6_zpse8f2d795
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 EmptyFri Jan 02, 2015 8:19 pm

That's a beaut Dutch. Love the contrast of the white horn stem.

Cheers,

RR

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 Purple11x 2Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 Bombx10  Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 Bombx7Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 D6bddf10 Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Dutch

Dutch

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 4:00 pm

I know, I know, but I could have an addiction to things much worse. I was a sucker for the bamboo, and the 31 gram weight on this one....

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiSandblastedFreehandBambooShank-1_zps1588cc77

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiSandblastedFreehandBambooShank-2_zps32dc1719

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiSandblastedFreehandBambooShank-3_zps149d4efe

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiSandblastedFreehandBambooShank-4_zps1b3b0001

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiSandblastedFreehandBambooShank-5_zpseb581457

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiSandblastedFreehandBambooShank-6_zpsb17a2101

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiSandblastedFreehandBambooShank-7_zps9a6825ea
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 7:08 pm

Very cool indeed Dutch. Wowsers!

Cool

Cheers,

RR

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 Purple11x 2Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 Bombx10  Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 Bombx7Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 D6bddf10 Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
ExcessEnergy

ExcessEnergy

PostSubject: Straight grain Moretti fiamatta   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 EmptyThu Jan 08, 2015 10:47 pm

Dutch,

That is one gorgeous straight grain.  I have never seen a Moretti with a horn bit.  For that matter, yours is the first bamboo Moretti that I've seen, too.  I did not start following Morettis until Tony started offering those Moretti war clubs for sale.  He makes a lot great chubby pipes, too.  Congratulations on a couple of great catches.

I have always wondered about bamboo shanks. Do they smoke any differently than briar shanks? Are they hotter, cooler? Do they impart any different flavor to the smoke than briar? You seem to be the guy to ask.
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2015 12:16 am

ExcessEnergy wrote:
Dutch,

That is one gorgeous straight grain.  I have never seen a Moretti with a horn bit.  For that matter, yours is the first bamboo Moretti that I've seen, too.  I did not start following Morettis until Tony started offering those Moretti war clubs for sale.  He makes a lot great chubby pipes, too.  Congratulations on a couple of great catches.

I have always wondered about bamboo shanks.  Do they smoke any differently than briar shanks?  Are they hotter, cooler?  Do they impart any different flavor to the smoke than briar?  You seem to be the guy to ask.

Jeff, thanks so much for the feedback.

As for hotter, cooler, or more flavorful, I can't really tell any difference with a bamboo shank. My guess is that the shank is too far behind the bowl to noticeably affect the taste of the tobacco.

I had never purchased a bamboo shanked pipe until I scored one of Riccardo Santia's bamboo shanked cobs. It is probably the driest smoking pipe I own, and I believe the bamboo is largely responsible. I know some folks hate the looks of bamboo, but I actually like the primitive look myself, especially on a cob. In addition, some artisan carvers have done some amazing things with bamboo.

The real reason I favor bamboo though, is it is an excellent example of form follows function.
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 EmptySun Feb 22, 2015 1:28 pm

A couple recent acquisitions. The billiard weighs in at 51grams, and the Noir comes in at 47 grams. I am particularly anxious to break in the bamboo shanked Noir.

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiFantasticHighGradeContrastBilliard-1_zpscf6d6906

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiFantasticHighGradeContrastBilliard-2_zps2cc405d6

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiFantasticHighGradeContrastBilliard-3_zps87b631e9

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiFantasticHighGradeContrastBilliard-4_zps53d4abed

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiFantasticHighGradeContrastBilliard-5_zps47a2e65f

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiFantasticHighGradeContrastBilliard-6_zps5a201bd2

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiFantasticHighGradeContrastBilliard-7_zps50f226ee

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettNoirFreehandBambooShank-6_zpsa693e9a6

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettNoirFreehandBambooShank-2_zps115026d9

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettNoirFreehandBambooShank-3_zps3f8c2521

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettNoirFreehandBambooShank-1_zpse2aae593

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettNoirFreehandBambooShank-8_zps9ec0002b

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettNoirFreehandBambooShank-7_zpseb955efa

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettNoirFreehandBambooShank-4_zps8047b8cc

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettNoirFreehandBambooShank-5_zpsbfb37990
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 1:04 pm

I was extremely excited to score this little short chubby chimney nosewarmer today. Weighing in at 57 grams and only 4 inches long......

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiShortChubbyChimney-1_zpsh4cp71dg

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiShortChubbyChimney-2_zpshhcn1kme

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiShortChubbyChimney-3_zpsnfs7f0pv

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiShortChubbyChimney-5_zpscduacs4k

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiShortChubbyChimney-4_zpschdm6frv

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiShortChubbyChimney-7_zpsxex60baw
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 10:37 pm

Managed to score another chubby yesterday. I love these little nosewarmers, as they clench much lighter than they weigh. This one weighs in at 69 grams, and is only 4 inches long.

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiShortChubbyFreehand-1_zpsu2u7wgjt

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiShortChubbyFreehand-3_zpsadavpvs6

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiShortChubbyFreehand-6_zpsl7pmtd4m

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiShortChubbyFreehand-5_zpsm9jlkssf

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiShortChubbyFreehand-8_zpsseyfjcte

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiShortChubbyFreehand-9_zps9np4t2zs
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 EmptyFri May 15, 2015 1:09 am

I managed to score another chubby chimney nosewarmer, this one weighing in at 51 grams, 3.6 inches long, and 2.4 inches high. These babies are the cat's meow for burning Lat blends.....

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiHighGradeSmoothShortChimney-1_zpsigyo5xi0

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiHighGradeSmoothShortChimney-2_zpst7zliwjn

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiHighGradeSmoothShortChimney-3_zpsjkuqjpfb

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiHighGradeSmoothShortChimney-4_zpsgjkt1iq5

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiHighGradeSmoothShortChimney-5_zpsggbdr9hs

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiHighGradeSmoothShortChimney-6_zps8fcdemh6

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiHighGradeSmoothShortChimney-7_zpsnimorwz0

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiHighGradeSmoothShortChimney-8_zps2ewiurkd
Back to top Go down
DireWolf

DireWolf

Registration date : 2015-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 EmptyFri May 15, 2015 8:48 am

I think my first morta will be a Moretti.

Now I'd I can just stop buying tobacco for a while........
Back to top Go down
eklektos44

eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 EmptyFri May 15, 2015 8:51 am

Pretty! Congrats! cheers
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 EmptyFri May 15, 2015 11:07 am

DireWolf wrote:
I think my first morta will be a Moretti.

Now I'd I can just stop buying tobacco for a while........

Wolf, I have bid on several of Marco's morta's, but haven't scored one yet. The winning bids on those are usually around $200 and sometimes more.

Be aware, when you buy outside the country, and the value of the item is over a certain amount, you will have to pay some extra tax. For instance, when I win one of Marco's pipes and my total is around $200, I usually get a bill from FedEx for around $13. This is one reason you see some of the bidders lose interest once the price gets around $160. I figure if I am spending a couple hundred bucks anyhow, $13 isn't much of an issue, but I thought I would mention it since I was a bit confused the first time I experienced it.

I'm not exactly sure where the breaking point is, but I think it is around $175, and it's a challenge to win one of Marco's morta's for less than that.
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 10:23 pm

I'm usually not real fond of bent shapes, but this one really caught my eye, so I pulled the trigger. She weighs in at 76 grams, but hopefully the bent stem will help offset some of the weight......

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiBentEgg-1_zpskk9apqra

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiBentEgg-2_zpsi6qhjsos

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiBentEgg-3_zpszx9at66l

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiBentEgg-4_zpsnhzuxvma

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiBentEgg-5_zpscvkv4xpy

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiBentEgg-6_zpsejjolmb7

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiBentEgg-7_zpsg7i7r8oz

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiBentEgg-8_zps5k7gwvje
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 10:29 pm

I like the "Chubby Chimney", I might even smoke that one.........
when I have nothing but, time on my hands Wink
Back to top Go down
http://rdpipes.briar.club/
eklektos44

eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 11:50 pm

Sweet pipe Dutch! cheers
Back to top Go down
pipetrepid

pipetrepid

Registration date : 2015-06-23

PostSubject: nice!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 3:44 pm

dutch, that`s a fine collection of moretti`s! i have to get one, i`ve heard so much good about their smoking qualities. bill
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 5:31 pm

pipetrepid wrote:
dutch, that`s a fine collection of moretti`s! i have to get one, i`ve heard so much good about their smoking qualities. bill

Bill, typically I am not really an easy person to please, especially when it comes to buying something hand crafted. I've been buying pipes from Marco for around 5 years now, and he has never disappointed me in any way.

His one on one customer service is second to none. When you send an email to Pipe Moretti, you always get a response from Marco, not a representative. I assume he must really love being a pipe carver, because it seems he really wears a lot of different hats at Pipe Moretti.

Yeah, his pipes are great, but so are a lot of carvers pipes. It's Marco's personal service that really makes buying his pipes special. You get a great hand made Italian pipe, straight from the carver with no middle man, for not a whole lot more money than some mass produced pipes cost.

Every time I get a package in the mail from Marco, I am always smiling from ear to ear! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

PostSubject: Re: Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!   Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 11:53 pm

Just scored another little sandblasted bamboo. This one a billiard, weighing in at 37 grams......

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiSandblastedBambooBilliard37Grams-1_zpsj8u6eyvm

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiSandblastedBambooBilliard37Grams-2_zpstzj8degq

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiSandblastedBambooBilliard37Grams-3_zps7dlivmpy

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiSandblastedBambooBilliard37Grams-4_zpsseyjnsdi

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiSandblastedBambooBilliard37Grams-5_zpsqrjcnp6r

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiSandblastedBambooBilliard37Grams-6_zpswuajumol

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiSandblastedBambooBilliard37Grams-7_zpszwyqggcq

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's! - Page 7 MorettiSandblastedBambooBilliard37Grams-8_zpssethlqq8
Back to top Go down

Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next