HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Some folks can spoil it for all !

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:04 pm

Tonight I ended up leaving the B&M I go to on Wed. nights early because of two cigar smoking BUBBAS who proceeded to be JERKS at the Wed. night smoke at the shop. They and three other of their friends who are members of the cigar club their decided to bad mouth and hassle the pipe smokers who come out to enjoy the occasion. Sadly, the owner did not stop them as from what he told me as I was leaving "... sorry but they spend about a grand a month on cigars and I need their money" At least he was honest about it. He's been adding more pipes and tobaccos, but is still predominately a cigar store and he knows who "butters his bread" Evil or Very Mad
These guys were insulting about the " effeminate, brainiac" pipe smokers and ".. only a real man smokes a cigar" as one said. They were some twenty-something bubbas who all drove big dually PU's taking up at least two parking spaces each out front for their trucks and knew only one sound level to speak in, a shout about everything. My German freind who met me out there tonight , muttered something in German at them as we both left tonight and I'm hoping they won't be there next week, but it really won't matter as after the 1st of next year we won't be able to smoke there anymore anyway. The good members of our city council has put a stop to that recently. Guess I'll just have to continue to smoke in my house and at select friends now Sad Some folks really don't deserve any respect for sure Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:17 pm

wish I was there with you

"real men? moderator edit. Sorry, this isn't the rubber room, had to delete this one little sentence. Back to your regularly scheduled chaos

Then I would have accompanied them outside for some sleeping exercises.

rev

or course there is also the possibility that I would have done nothing as I am trying to be non violent. Sorry your night was ruined by a few assholes
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:20 pm

Some "things" really aren't worth my getting involved with. Why waste my time Twisted Evil It's better spent going home and having a good smoke cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:22 pm

Radio Edit!

Last edited by Thistleoak on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:19 pm

Sorry to hear your night went south. You could have engaged the fools but then you would have been foolish. Smart to walk away.

Also to hear about the in-door smoking ban to take effect. Can you still smoke in a free-standing building?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:35 pm

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
Sorry to hear your night went south. You could have engaged the fools but then you would have been foolish. Smart to walk away.

Also to hear about the in-door smoking ban to take effect. Can you still smoke in a free-standing building?

The ordinance states that there will be NO smoking in ANY retail store, frestanding or not and all outside smoking is to be 50' away from ANY entrance door to a retail or public building. We need to understand that there are folks out there whow want to do away with ALL forms of tobacco in the US and they are going at acheiving that effect thru any legal means they can effect. It's a brave new world we live in Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:49 pm

Well Monbla,

Since you live in Texas, you could have just gone out to your truck and grabbed your shotgun. But you know what?, I admire the fact that you didn't. Evil or Very Mad That would have been way too California. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:54 pm

I don't use guns, I use choke holds Smile

rev
Back to top Go down
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:29 am

That's really too bad. Interesting that there really are different stereotypes surrounding each tobacco product. Cigars have become associated with power so it is no surprise that arrogant, ill-educated, self-conscious, and blusterous folk you mention take an affinity to it.

Fortunately, my experience has been that those type of cigar smokers are usually driven out of the circle when they cannot articulate why their Opus X's are so much better than my Maduro La Auroras, and couldn't tell you exactly what their cigar tastes like or even begin to tell you what Maduro means.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
the rev

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:43 am

I think someone really smart once said, "be excellent to one another"

rev
Back to top Go down
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:47 am

Why do you never seem to hear about those "asshole pipe smokers" at any local B&M? Funny that. Wink

Back to top Go down
View user profile
glpease
Dark Lord

Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:04 am

Sorry about your experience. Truly a shame that some people have to behave badly, and, worse, are often arrogantly proud of their own ignorance.

I love cigars, but I'm growing to loathe much of what passes for the modern "cigar culture." The affect of machismo that surrounds it is ludicrous.

I received email from a local shop indicating that Rocky Patel was coming to town. I briefly considered going over, until I looked at the accompanying photo. I saw what looked like a mafia don with a pair of thugs behind him. Rocky may or may not be a Soprano wannabe, but the fact that this is the audience he chooses to cater to is enough to keep me away.

Pathetic, really.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.glpease.com
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:06 am

In a recent post, I related a similar experience I have had on more than one occasion at my local B&M. Problem is, one of the employees is a bigger a$$hole than any of the cigar snobs. I could compare him to a 12 year old, but I have met a few 12 year olds that deserve better than that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gumball

Registration date : 2011-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:52 am

MisterE wrote:
Why do you never seem to hear about those "asshole pipe smokers" at any local B&M? Funny that. Wink

They form a vocal minority on the Youtube Pipe Community Sad

Fortunately one can chose not to watch their uploads Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:01 am

Oh yuck. I wonder what these guys were compensating for...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jers

Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:31 am

“I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

I'm sorry these dudes ruined your evening.

Fraternally

Jers

Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:47 am

I'll gladly spend the time to enjoy a pipe as opposed to the instant gratification of a cigar. Piping takes a bit of work to do, instead of just cutting and lighting. Real men don't bash a fellow tobacco conniseur they enjoy the smell of pure tobacco and relish in days gone by. I hope your next experience goes better brother.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:42 am

Jers wrote:
“I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

I'm sorry these dudes ruined your evening.

Fraternally

Jers

George always had a way with words cheers Finished out the evening with a nice bowl of Royal Yacht and the company of my kittehs and watching the Panda get his third home run of the night Razz guess something good can come out of bad Razz Thanks for the thoughts guys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:02 am

Ten years ago I would have responded MUCH differently, this morning as I read this thread, my thoughts are, "Y'all done right by just walking away." You gotta choose your fights wisely and this was not worth it. Bad things happen in fights, (ambulances, cops, hospitals, jail time, involuntary manslaughter), I've seen them all in my career in LE. It takes a bigger man sometimes to just walk away. It's one of the hardest things to do and just grates against us. I TOTALLY understand the John Wayne attitude, it just works out better in the movies than it does in real life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:18 am

Gumball wrote:
MisterE wrote:

They form a vocal minority on the Youtube Pipe Community Sad

Fortunately one can chose not to watch their uploads Very Happy

Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slide

Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:28 am

Simple Man wrote:
Ten years ago I would have responded MUCH differently, this morning as I read this thread, my thoughts are, "Y'all done right by just walking away." You gotta choose your fights wisely and this was not worth it. Bad things happen in fights, (ambulances, cops, hospitals, jail time, involuntary manslaughter), I've seen them all in my career in LE. It takes a bigger man sometimes to just walk away. It's one of the hardest things to do and just grates against us. I TOTALLY understand the John Wayne attitude, it just works out better in the movies than it does in real life.

So true. I have to force myself to walk away. Because I know I will do anything I can to win. Anything...

And I will still be pissed off months later. Okay...not months...years...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:31 am

Slide wrote:
Simple Man wrote:

So true. I have to force myself to walk away. Because I know I will do anything I can to win. Anything...

And I will still be pissed off months later. Okay...not months...years...

Yep, rage is a dangerous game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sam a

Registration date : 2012-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:12 pm

sorry to hear about that. it's never fun to be harassed by idiots, but i fail to see how being cigar smokers could contribute to jerks being jerks. and i fail to see how being a jerk might lead someone to smoke cigars. i dig that some people suck and have no manners, but as pipe smokers, when we attribute an individual's or group of individuals' poor character to being "cigar culture" or some such thing, we are doing the same as someone harassing pipe smokers calling them "effeminate brainiacs" or whatever silly crap people say. it's all just narcissism of minor differences, or bad logic at best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:34 pm

And yet I think that those 'types' make up a very small but perhaps visible percentage of the cigar smoking population. You can't control what you look like, only how you act. That being said, the latin origin of many of the cigar makers, the components, the workers, etc., etc., etc. do lend a certain macho 'look' to the market. And you really don't have to have any kind of knowledge or skill to smoke a cigar. Compare that to the 'pipe world' with all the makers in the UK, Scandanavia, Italy, the US, etc. and the blenders from the same georgraphic areas. The little old pipe maker, shuffling around his shop, benign smile on his face, warm, friendly, full of knowledge and the skills honed through a lifetime of artisanship...same for the blenders. Kind of like Gepetto.

I find it interesting that a craftsman with talent can become a known pipesmith, whereas cigars require an industry behind them to get out there. Blending is a little different, but many blenders have started off small and hooked up with larger houses for production and distribution. It all has such a different feel...and is so much more aligned to my ethic. That, and the fact that pipes, etc, are SO superior in every way. Just sayin'. Cool

View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:54 pm

sam a wrote:
sorry to hear about that. it's never fun to be harassed by idiots, but i fail to see how being cigar smokers could contribute to jerks being jerks. and i fail to see how being a jerk might lead someone to smoke cigars. i dig that some people suck and have no manners, but as pipe smokers, when we attribute an individual's or group of individuals' poor character to being "cigar culture" or some such thing, we are doing the same as someone harassing pipe smokers calling them "effeminate brainiacs" or whatever silly crap people say. it's all just narcissism of minor differences, or bad logic at best.

I did not infer that I was calling out a certain group of smokers for their behavior, I merely stated what happened and who the individuals were and what they were doing. I too have been a cigar smoker and still do enjoy a good one at times so all I can say is one can infer what they want ( as most of us do in truth) from what I related.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Some folks can spoil it for all !
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next