HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Some folks can spoil it for all !

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:17 pm

Sorry to hear about that Monbla. Good thing you showed some wisdom and restraint and didn't let those boys have it. Live to smoke another day.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:19 pm

The best revenge is enjoying your pipe and knowing it is superior in every way.

View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:28 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
The best revenge is enjoying your pipe and knowing it is superior in every way.

I agree with you, BH. It still reminded me of this episode of Frasier though. Laughing

Frasier "quote"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shootist51

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:39 pm

I've tried smoking cigars, but find I can achieve the same results by just passing wind. Plus I save quite a bit of money.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:50 pm

Funny enough, and you all might think I'm lucky, but I have another B&M shop besides Tinder Box here in Reno. I never mention it because it doesn't cater to pipes very well, and the kind of crowd I typically have witnessed there is exactly as Monbla experienced. Plus, you have to spend a minimum of $20 on your visit to sit and enjoy the lounge (it is a beautiful building, too).

So, there's a reason why I go to Tinder Box. Learn to recognize conflict, and you can choose to either engage or avoid. Which would bring me to quite a crux in a situation like that. I'd have no problem with asking those boys if they were old enough to buy cigars, because they certainly weren't acting like it...having them nut-up to me, naturally resulting in them attempting to make me swallow my teeth (I've been hit plenty before, one more won't matter) and then suing them for all that fancy cigar money they have.

I'd also have to think I wouldn't be able to enjoy a pipe for at least a month, have to do a ton of paperwork, waste my time in court and all in the spirit of cowboying-up and showing someone the error of their ways.

Nowadays, I ask people sternly and nicely, "Please stop being rude." Much like a kindly teacher or uncle might do. It works 80% of the time, sometimes with a little explaining, and if it escalates from there, it has never gotten violent. I don't think anyone should fight over such bullsh*t, but allowing asshats to be asshats shouldn't be tolerated, either.

It's disconcerting the shop owner walks on eggshells around them because they spend money. That's a great way to have people "own" your shop and having no control over your business. Shame on him. There's ways to manage a situation like that and not lose customers.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:04 pm

Amen Kyle

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:17 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
I'd have no problem with asking those boys if they were old enough to buy cigars, because they certainly weren't acting like it...having them nut-up to me, naturally resulting in them attempting to make me swallow my teeth (I've been hit plenty before, one more won't matter) and then suing them for all that fancy cigar money they have.

I'd also have to think I wouldn't be able to enjoy a pipe for at least a month, have to do a ton of paperwork, waste my time in court and all in the spirit of cowboying-up and showing someone the error of their ways.

Nowadays, I ask people sternly and nicely, "Please stop being rude." Much like a kindly teacher or uncle might do. It works 80% of the time, sometimes with a little explaining, and if it escalates from there, it has never gotten violent. I don't think anyone should fight over such bullsh*t, but allowing asshats to be asshats shouldn't be tolerated, either.

Well, that's all fine and well, but there are probably 2744 different personalities on here and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for everyone. Personally, I have never and will never take a punch without retaliating immediately, and I WOULD be the one being hauled off in handcuffs.

I never said you let them "get away with it"... there can very well be some "reckoning", but there are some very creative ways of paying back that would leave them scratching their heads and wondering why bad stuff always happens to them. Twisted Evil

Anyway, it is what it is and like I said, there would be a lot of different takes on this...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sam a

Registration date : 2012-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:25 pm

monbla256 wrote:
sam a wrote:
sorry to hear about that. it's never fun to be harassed by idiots, but i fail to see how being cigar smokers could contribute to jerks being jerks. and i fail to see how being a jerk might lead someone to smoke cigars. i dig that some people suck and have no manners, but as pipe smokers, when we attribute an individual's or group of individuals' poor character to being "cigar culture" or some such thing, we are doing the same as someone harassing pipe smokers calling them "effeminate brainiacs" or whatever silly crap people say. it's all just narcissism of minor differences, or bad logic at best.

I did not infer that I was calling out a certain group of smokers for their behavior, I merely stated what happened and who the individuals were and what they were doing. I too have been a cigar smoker and still do enjoy a good one at times so all I can say is one can infer what they want ( as most of us do in truth) from what I related.

my post wasn't a comment on the original post's intent... but a comment on the general tone that the thread as a whole took.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:27 pm

Nah, you misinterpret me, Jack. You're right, everyone has their way, this isn't a "the right thing to do" thread for me, because if you ask me, Monbla did exactly the right thing for him. I would have likely done the exact same thing, but perhaps talked a little sense into the B&M owner. Smile

Taking a punch leaves a guy with many options, much like even before the punch happened, there were many options. I have the mindset that if some guy really wants to hit me, and hitting him back won't do much but make us both morons (or if it would be like me, a flea, punching a large dog), he is welcome to pay for his mistake. I could pocket a few lawyers to help me out. I've learned I heal pretty quickly, and I could use a few more pipes on such a generous donation. Pain never kept me in line, it was just another obstacle. Laughing

Revenge is never a test of strength. It's a test of will. Provided it is humble, I see it as "helping karma along" a little without forcing the issue too much.

We'll all deal with stuff like that the way we do. The only wrong answer might be putting a lead slug in the forehead of each of the guys systematically...no one learns from something like that. As mentioned, it looks great in the movies, though! cheers

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:29 pm

I've noticed how surly everyone got over this situation in the tread, too... Laughing "Pipe Smoker's Revenge." Twisted Evil (...don't eff with our kind...)

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:30 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Nah, you misinterpret me, Jack. You're right, everyone has their way, this isn't a "the right thing to do" thread for me, because if you ask me, Monbla did exactly the right thing for him. I would have likely done the exact same thing, but perhaps talked a little sense into the B&M owner. Smile

Taking a punch leaves a guy with many options, much like even before the punch happened, there were many options. I have the mindset that if some guy really wants to hit me, and hitting him back won't do much but make us both morons (or if it would be like me, a flea, punching a large dog), he is welcome to pay for his mistake. I could pocket a few lawyers to help me out. I've learned I heal pretty quickly, and I could use a few more pipes on such a generous donation. Pain never kept me in line, it was just another obstacle. Laughing

Revenge is never a test of strength. It's a test of will. Provided it is humble, I see it as "helping karma along" a little without forcing the issue too much.

We'll all deal with stuff like that the way we do. The only wrong answer might be putting a lead slug in the forehead of each of the guys systematically...no one learns from something like that. As mentioned, it looks great in the movies, though! cheers

Cool

Agreed.

Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:33 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
The only wrong answer might be putting a lead slug in the forehead of each of the guys systematically...no one learns from something like that. As mentioned, it looks great in the movies, though! cheers

Cool

It's a damn shame this is not an option... makes me want to get a Lee Van Cleef meer and a Josey Wales Colt Walker...

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:37 pm

Simple Man wrote:

It's a damn shame this is not an option... makes me want to get a Lee Van Cleef meer and a Josey Wales Colt Walker...

lol!

Speakin' my language, brother. Very Happy I'd probably go with Richard Boone "Paladin" setup from Have Gun - Will Travel only because I'm pretty into that right now. My mash-up fictional character would have to be a Kwai Chang Caine mixed with Paladin, with a bit of LVC on the side. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:42 pm

I don't like bullies, and with my past and training I tend to want to arch up. I don't believe violence is the right reaction, even to defend yourself, however, I doubt my ability to live out my convictions in certain situations.

It is a sad thing that people behave in this way, and I believe the shop owner is equally guilty. When money becomes more important than people there is a problem

rev
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:44 pm

the rev wrote:
I don't like bullies, and with my past and training I tend to want to arch up. I don't believe violence is the right reaction, even to defend yourself, however, I doubt my ability to live out my convictions in certain situations.

It is a sad thing that people behave in this way, and I believe the shop owner is equally guilty. When money becomes more important than people there is a problem

rev

Word, Brother.

That's why the store's owner might want to reconsider his position, if at all possible. It won't be the last time jerks drive out other folks. Then again, that's why I'm studying Aikido right now after giving up six years of Tae Kwon Do. The mental game is far superior than the physical, and I ain't a kid any more. I have to pay for my mistakes if I make them. Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:52 pm

hope you enjoy it. I am a grappling dude myself, but in the more crass, ugly kind of way

rev
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:54 pm

the rev wrote:
hope you enjoy it. I am a grappling dude myself, but in the more crass, ugly kind of way

rev

Hey, whatever works! There's an art for everyone. Very Happy I love Aikido, and we train "Iwama," and I have the bruises and scars to prove it. Nothing says "get the hell out of the way" like taking a bokken to the face. lol!

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:59 pm

I love how the brazilians turned jiu jitsu (the gentle art) into ultimate fighting Smile But yeah, I got 15 years of brazilian jiu jits, 20 years of wrestling and lots of judo, boxing, kick boxing and thai boxing on the side of that. Stopped fighting professionally 10 years ago when there was no money in it. Some of my training partners are making millions in the UFC now, sucks getting old Smile

rev
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:01 pm

the rev wrote:
sucks getting old Smile

That's part of why I got into the "old man's art" early. I've physically abused my poor self far too much to go bashing heads 'n' knuckles if I still want to think, work and be the hack philosopher I wish I was... Razz

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slide

Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:55 pm

What would be funny is to Tom Sawyer them. Have a supply of Cotton Bowl Twist and be smoking something else. Kind of saying, "Yeah, I smoked cigars until I built up my nicotine tolerance. You guys couldn't handle this."

If they bit I can just envision loading a big old freehand full of Cotton Bowl and waiting for the puking to begin...

I think there would be very few people that could handle a big bowl of that.

Had to make an edit said pipes instead of cigars

Last edited by Slide on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:04 pm

Sorry you had your night spoiled by these guys monbla, looks like we have some pipe smoking heavies to call in next time... but like you said, it looks like there will be no next time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:17 pm

Greyson wrote:
Sorry you had your night spoiled by these guys monbla, looks like we have some pipe smoking heavies to call in next time... but like you said, it looks like there will be no next time.

who you calling heavy?

Smile

rev
Back to top Go down
shootist51

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:32 pm

You know, it was my initial feeling that maybe a snarky comment might have helped cool the situation you and your friend faced, but after reading some of the other posts and giving it more thought, I think direct action would have been better.

First, the smoking lounge is going to be closed by the local government, so none of you will benefit from it in the near future.

Second, the owner is obviously an asswipe, so you owe him nothing and would be silly to spend one more nickle with him.

Third, though the bible teaches turning the other cheek, it has been my experience that you would soon run out of cheeks.

Given the above scenario, I think you should have quietly packed your gear and the using the heaviest piece of furniture you could lift, began kicking ass until you had cleared the joint.

Obviously, there might have been repurcussions, both medical and legal, but imagine the story you'd have to tell Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:42 pm

Don't worry Rev, I'm counting myself in there literally and figuratively. Smile

The trouble is, if you take the abuse and react non violently or ignore it like a rational person should, it usually only encourages bullies. If you do what you feel is right and make your point physically, chances are you'll be the one getting in a police car or court room. It always feels to me like a bit of a no win situation.

I've been heavy all my life, and taken a lot of abuse about it... frequently physical attacks where I grew up. I'm not trying to get into a 'I'm so badass' discussion but I know from experience that if I ever do lose my temper a situation can go dangerously out of control. And when you know you've had the training and experience to do serious damage to somebody, you really have to be careful to keep your reactions tempered.

So yeah, from my point of view its a tricky situation. Its a lot more straightforward if you are defending somebody else rather than yourself too, I feel you are probably under more of an obligation to act in those circumstances.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Some folks can spoil it for all !   Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:05 pm

Greyson wrote:
Its a lot more straightforward if you are defending somebody else rather than yourself too, I feel you are probably under more of an obligation to act in those circumstances.

This. I've gotten out of control in regard to involving myself in situation that needed the score evened a little. It ended up alienating me even from the person I ended up defending a few times. I don't ever want that all-too-high elation of feeling like I won to find out I lost more, ever, ever again.

So, it's always a delicate game. Which is why I use words, but have other methods just in case.

Conflict with people sucks.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Some folks can spoil it for all !
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next